This is a somewhat lighter, lower calorie version of eggplant parmigiana in that it’s not egged, breaded or fried. And if you can’t choose between the iconic eggplant- or -chicken parmigiana, why not combine them?
An Eggplant and Chicken Parmigiana Combo
Author: Joan Nova, aka FOODalogue
- boned chicken breasts (spit and cut in circles to mimic eggplant slices)
- eggplant cut in rounds
- fresh mozzarella
- grated parmesan
- garbanzo (or regular) flour
- tomato sauce
- olive oil
- dry seasonings
- Lightly dust eggplant in seasoned flour.
- Spray lined cookie sheet with oil and layer eggplant rounds.
- Bake at 400 degrees, turning midway till slightly brown.
- Meantime, dredge chicken medallions in same flour and brown in small amount of oil stove top.
- Add tomato sauce to coat and cook a few minutes more.
- Layer eggplant with chicken and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add mozzarella and top with tomato sauce and switch to broil.
Finishing Touch: Pesto, extra parmesan and black pepper.