What’s for Breakfast? A Creative Cooking Crew Challenge

April 9, 2014 by Joan Nova in Breakfast + Brunch, Creative Cooking Crew Challenge, Eggs, Entertaining, Food Challenge, Food Pairings, Recipe Development | 19 Comments

I’m not a boxed cereal kind of gal. Not when I’m alone — and certainly not when I have company.

For challenges (and all-round eating out of the FOODalogue kitchen), I rely on what’s on-hand. Anything that’s not fresh or healthy(ish) is kept to a minimum … a pinch, sprinkle, dusting or dollop.

Living in South Florida, I frequently have out-of-town guests and I love to start the day with something special for them,  like this Breakfast Pot with small quantities of burst yellow and red grape tomatoes, sautéed thinly sliced mushrooms, leeks, fennel, mini sweet peppers, garlic (removed before assembly), oil-cured black olives, and rosemary which were mixed with a teaspoon of pepper gourmandise. The toast is whole grain ciabatta rounds I had in the freezer topped with a dollop of gorgonzola dolce cheese.

Eggs, seasoned with salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan, were set in skillet stove top and then placed on top of vegetables and bread and finished in hot oven.
That’s was a really good bite.

*               *             *

If you stayed over another night and we were having breakfast together again, you’d probably get something fruit-based … a little sweet but with savory touches, like this.

Waffle, stewed fruit (apples, dates, raisins), no-fat sour cream seasoned with rosemary and Wrath, a blend of ground chili, chocolate and sea salt.
Topped with crumbled bacon, toasted walnuts and a drizzle of honey.

8316344214_9d16bebb6e_z

The group’s breakfast round-up will be posted on April 27 on Lazaro Cooks.

________________

1. I just want to lick the plate…not only does it look delicious the pictures are amazingly beautiful.
    Norma-Platanos, Mangoes & Me! recently posted..SPINACH + HEIRLOOM TOMATO STRATA WITH ASIAGOMy Profile

Now I know what we will be having when I come to visit in Florida. It was so much easier to get there when I lived on the east coast:D It all looks delicious Joan, and is photographed beautifully.

3. aurora Reyes says:

Damn! That looks good! I drink to your bottomless pozo of creativity with foods at hand. Artista de verdad…
    Cousin Ra

4. Great article and your pictures are making drool….
    Brenda Benoit recently posted..I can’t wait to see this movie when it comes to Miami – Buscando a GastónMy Profile

5. I am coming for brunch on Sunday OK? Looks amazing, both…but the first would be my choice on the weekend. It is a gorgeous balanced meal :-)

Now that’s breakfast. A big breakfast. GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Chocolate Toffee Cookies- The Real DealMy Profile

7. Your guests are very lucky to be treated to a gourmet breakfast like this. I love the recipe, have to try it out.
    Nancy-SpicieFoodie recently posted..Earth Eats: Filipino Chicken AdoboMy Profile

8. You may be having another guest soon…!

9. christo says:

all I can think of to say is – mmmmmmmmmmmm
    christo recently posted..Breakfast – CCC (Creative Cooking Crew Challenge)My Profile

10. I’ll take that savory for any meal of the day. So creative, yet rustic and perfect.

I like how you serve it in a pot.
    Very creative.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Come for Breakfast: Kimchi Fried Rice with Broccolini, Egg, BaconMy Profile

12. I thought your entry was the frittata from the other day! I ought to bake eggs more, I don’t know why, well, maybe I do, I get so impatient to eat breakfast! I like the idea of the stewed fruit with the seasoned sour cream on the waffle. I loved this challenge!
    La Diva Cucina recently posted..BREAKFAST! Decadent Panettone French Toast with Fresh Orange Sauce with Apple Breakfast Sausage (and other FABULOUS breakfast ideas!)My Profile

13. Victoria says:

That Breakfast Pot looks like the ultimate morning comfort. Love the veggies in there. Healthy and tasty!
    Victoria recently posted..Eggs ShanghaiMy Profile

14. Love the use of baked veg and egg in a one pot breakfast dish. Sounds really comforting first thing in the morning.
    upstartkitchen recently posted..Your medium western states.My Profile