Spanish Cassoulet and Entertaining Friends

April 6, 2014 by Joan Nova in Entertaining, Menu Planning, Poultry, Recipe Development, Spanish/Tapas | 18 Comments

Who remembers this post I published a few years ago about social media and new friends?

I’m happy to say our friendship has endured 5 years … and counting.

We meet up at special events in trendy places or local happy hours, but it was time for another ‘at home’ get-together and I had a yen to make a Spanish Cassoulet so I invited the girls to dinner.

They were surprised to find I raided their Facebook pages for photos to create personalized napkin ring/place cards. Good idea, n’cest-pas?

We started in the living room with a few pickies to accompany drinks. Featured here baked ricotta with artichokes and tomatoes served with lightly pickled green beans and assorted crackers.

Our first course was grilled asparagus wrapped with pancetta and a dollop of gorgonzola dolce served with pan con tomate.

As you can see, I may have done the cooking but they did the entertaining!

The Cassoulet

Note 1: Probably a better idea to toast in high oven (rather than under broiler), especially if you’ve had a few drinks.

Note 2: Fortunately a few burnt crumbs didn’t harm the dish. It was multiple layers of deliciousness!

5.0 from 1 reviews

Spanish Cassoulet with Chicken and Chorizo

Classic French dish with the flavors of Spain
Author:
Ingredients
  • chicken
  • chorizo
  • crumbled bacon
  • white beans
  • white wine
  • chicken broth
  • strained tomatoes
  • olive oil
  • leeks, garlic, onions, carrots, sweet pepper minced
  • paprika, salt+pepper, chorizo seasoning (Williams Sonoma)
  • fresh green olives
  • capers
  • rosemary
  • bay leaf
  • topping: panko crumbs, ground almonds, rosemary, and parmesan
How To
  1. Slice chorizo in ¼ inch rounds and saute in olive oil with minced vegetables in heavy dutch oven and remove.
  2. Brown chicken (skin side down first) in same pot, then set aside.
  3. Add pre-soaked and drained white beans.
  4. Add chorizos and cooked vegetables and a few sprigs of rosemary and bay leaf.
  5. Add strained tomatoes, wine and chicken broth in sufficient quantities to cover everything in pot.
  6. Bring to boil and then simmer uncovered for a long time (about 2 hours) till beans cook and some of liquid evaporates.
  7. Add olives, capers and crumbled bacon.
  8. Add chicken.
  9. Transfer to casserole dish and cook in low heat oven for about an hour.
  10. Add heavy topping of panko crumbs, ground almonds and parmesan and brown under broiler or raise oven heat to 500 degrees.
Notes
Takes at least 3 hours.

______________

And a good time was had by all.

_______________

1. Liz says:

Just printed the recipe. Looks like you had a great time along with the great food!

Now that’s a good time Joan!!!!

3. Norma says:

This was incredible. From start to finish.

4. Dina says:

Hi Joan, Val referred me to your blog. Loved your “about” so fun to read. Also loved your travelling group idea. You know how to have fun. I just came back from Spain, I think you also met lovely Nuria?

• Joan Nova says:

Yes, I’ve been online friends with Nuria since I started blogging and had a wonderful time when I met her and family in Barcelona a couple of years ago. Thanks for the visit.

5. You gals rock. The napkins rings are inspired.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Several courses of the first Dubai Food FestivalMy Profile

6. I don’t know which looks better, the cassoulet or you women! What a fun time was clearly had by all. Cassoulet is one of my absolute favorite dishes in the world (I leave for Paris tomorrow and will try to track some down–not easy in Paris, better in the SW) and I love the sound of this Spanish interpretation.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Marinated Tunisian Chicken Kebabs with Raisin and Green Olive RelishMy Profile

7. picrest says:

Wow .. the chicken looks really crispy and delicious

8. Yes, Joan. I lived in Paris in my youth and am leading a group of five women there before starting the Morocco trip. Whoopee!

9. Eha says:

This does not need any amounts!! It’s love food to be enjoyed!! All of you obviously did :) ! And methinks so many of us are travelling alongside Vicki!! Happy landings!!!!!

10. What a gathering. The food. The wine. The company….and the napkin holders :-)…great idea altogether.
    Kitchen Butterfly recently posted..#Video: How to Cut a MangoMy Profile

11. Jonny says:

Hi Joan, what’s not to love about this? slightly blurry, boozy photos and a dish robust enough to soak it all up. Great idea to combine the french south-west with the asturian! Two classics that look like a winner together. Feliz Pascua / Joyeuses Paques!
    Jonny recently posted..Blood In the Time of SpringMy Profile