Look What My Son Cooked for Me!

January 13, 2014 by Joan Nova in Italian, One dish meal, Pasta | 22 Comments

A couple of months ago I sent my son a text that went something like this: check out this link … we should do this for a party and by “we” I mean you since it requires patience and precision … oh, and it’s in German (I think), but the photos should be sufficient information.

And then I forgot about it until this weekend when Jim surprised me with a visit and dinner.

It’s really simple to make, says I who didn’t do it. But, my son concurred. He just looked at the pictorial for technique (see link above), used his own bolognese sauce and added a pint of ricotta to the béchamel sauce. He said it took about 1-1/4 pounds of pasta using a standard size spring form pan.

Besides Rigatoni Kuchen, it’s also called timbale or macaroni pie and you can easily find recipes online though this is one of the nicest looking and the pictures tell a thousand words.

I think you will agree that it’s a spectacular presentation and it was moist, satisfying and uber delicious.

The ♡♡s of my , Jim and Cassie.

* * *

1. Liz says:

Wow! Looks great. The apple does not fall far from the tree. He is as creative as his Mom.

2. Oh how I wish my son would prepare that for me! What a lovely gesture. Looks complicated, but I trust that it just takes patience, as you said, and which I don’t always have.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Tomatillos and Two All-Weather SaladsMy Profile

3. Not only is the pie gorgeous, so is your family!
    Sandy Axelrod recently posted..Cooking InspiredMy Profile

4. Carole says:

That is spectacular! and made with love. You are a good momma
    and Abuela.

5. Erica says:

What a beautiful dish,Joan!Love the picture of your son and nieta!!!!
    Erica recently posted..Sancocho de Pescado con Coco (Fish and Coconut Soup)My Profile

Definitely something for company. Jim did a beautiful job. It looks like perfection. It would be fun to explore all the variations of this dish. I made a Greek dish once that was similar, there was obviously Italian roots on the island.

7. How beautiful is that – the making of, with the love from your son and the pie itself!

I’ll have to make it now :-)

8. Awesome.

His love.
    The pie.
    The deliciousness.

Must make it.

Have a superb 2014

Ahhhh… GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Chocolate Cream Pie ResolutionsMy Profile

10. It is a beaut but knowing your son he does not do anything half way. Lucky you!

11. Marie says:

A talented son just like his mom! Great looking family you have Joan!

12. Adri says:

Che bello timballo! These dishes, shaped like a timpani drum, are classics in the Italian canon. What a positively spectacular job. Bravo to your son. Oh, but I bet you were just thrilled.
    Adri recently posted..Broccoli with Homemade Cavatelli and Crudo Extra Virgin Olive OilMy Profile

13. Penny says:

This looks fabulous and labor intensive. Which makes it even more special that your wonderful son would do this for you. Wonderful presentation too.
    Penny recently posted..Stuffed Vegetables ProvencalMy Profile

14. Hi and thank you very much for sharing my recipe and a link to my homepage.
    I really enjoy reading your tip. I am sorry for the “german-only” in my writing but pictures don’t need any language.

Have fun and enjoy cooking!
    Thorsten Falk recently posted..Weißes Schokoladenmousse im BaumkuchenmantelMy Profile

15. Jonny says:

Very impressive! Congrats to your son and to you for sharing your passion for food down the family tree. We hope that we can do the same and that even if our kidd aren’t as loco about food as we are that at least they can feed themselves outside of pairing cereal with milk.