“Bite and Sip” | A Thanksgiving Appetizer

November 5, 2013 by Joan Nova in Appetizers, Creative Cooking Crew Challenge, Food Challenge, Holidays, Party Menus, Recipe, Recipe Development, Soup | 33 Comments

“You’re invited to a Thanksgiving dinner party — bring an appetizer.” That was the theme for this month’s Creative Cooking Crew’s challenge.

I don’t know how it works in your social circle … but here, no matter what the occasion, we never go directly to the table.

There’s always about an hour of hanging around the kitchen counter or sitting in the living room with cocktails and some edibles to pick on. Even on Thanksgiving when the groaning board is groaning from the weight of things to come!

I always have the best of intentions on these occasions. I want to save my appetite and calories for the main course. That’s especially true on Thanksgiving — my most favorite holiday meal.

But, I’m usually hungry and self-control is lost the moment I have a glass of wine in hand and lay eyes on the hors d’oeuvres!

So I wanted to go light for this challenge.

I thought this would be an unexpected and elegant amuse bouche … with ingredients in keeping with the season and yet light enough not to fill the belly for all the good things yet to come.

Soup Shooter + Pincho

Roasted pumpkin pureed with chicken broth, olive oil, nutmeg, salt and pepper and served at room temperature. Topped with a bit of creme fraiche and served in a shot glass.

Roasted chestnut wrapped with speck served on a pick.

Come back on 11/21 (just in time to pick up a recipe for Thanksgiving). I’ll be presenting a round-up of the Creative Cooking Crew’s appetizers.

_______________

1. Always so creative! Love your take and interpretation of different meals.

This is fascinating. That little speck masterpiece has me drooling. GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Red Hook: My Practice Thanksgiving CocktailMy Profile

I love little bite on top Joan to top off the luscious soup. I also like the fact that it is lighter so I can have several.

4. Nuria says:

Wow Joan, that’s a 15 over 10… superb!!!! great aperitivo, great photos, great idea. Muy bonito y delicioso :D.
    Happy Thanksgiving querida!

5. Once again, you stun us with your creativity. Just lovely and looks delicious as well. I love the topping of creme fraiche–just a perfect way to serve, both for the mouth and the eye.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Day of the Dead: The Calacas, Part IMy Profile

6. A soup shooter is simply genius.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup – Grain Free, Paleo FriendlyMy Profile

7. Marie says:

Honestly… this is brilliant!

8. christo says:

the chestnut and speck – what a perfect compliment for the soup shooter -
    christo recently posted..Poached Pears for Creative Cooking Crew Cooking with SpiritsMy Profile

9. This is so innovative, creative and different. Fantastic idea for an appetizer.
    Brenda Benoit recently posted..A Peruvian LunchMy Profile

10. Erica says:

This is so beautiful and creative,Joan!Great appetizer!
    Erica recently posted..KitchenAid Giveaway!My Profile

11. Robin says:

I agree, I think appetizers no matter how huge the main meal will be are an important part of getting the party started. Plus a nice little way to add your own flair to the occasion. Well done Joan and the photos are wonderful!

12. So elegant and a wonderful idea, love chestnuts. It would be hard to stick to just one sip and appetizer.
    Evelyne@cheapethniceatz recently posted..Beet and Blue Grilled Cheese BitesMy Profile

13. Trix says:

Oooh, this is such a smart idea, and yes – sooooo elegant. Love it!!

14. Shannon says:

oooh, i haven’t tried chestnuts, but this looks like a great way to whet the palate :)

15. deana sidney says:

You have outdone yourself with this creamy deliciousness. It is a brilliant and beautiful combination. I am mad for chestnuts, wrapping them in speck would send me into a faint.
    deana sidney recently posted..Jeremiah Tower, Great Menus and Black Bean Cakes with Duck Mole and Lime-Pumpkin Sour CreamMy Profile

16. these are stunning! so beautiful – I love the layers in the shooter, and chestnuts wrapped in speck sounds absolutely divine!
    Jenn and Seth recently posted..Baked Artichokes with Mandarin Orange, Juniper Berries, Clove, and Whole Grain MustardMy Profile

17. Victoria says:

Wow, these are so sophisticated! I love your presentation and the flavors are just fabulous!
    Victoria recently posted..Spain: Braised Veal with Dried MushroomsMy Profile

18. My absolute favorite. I have baggies of roasted Chinese chestnuts from this summer’s harvest and wanted another idea (other than a puree). You’re so dang clever-I love it Joan. Thanks for the idea and for hosting. I’m grateful to be a part of this group. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Maureen C. Berry recently posted..NaNoWriMoMy Profile

19. upstartkitchen says:

love pintxos, this is super cute and sounds delicious!

1. [...] Sip + Bite: A soup shooter and roasted chestnut and speck pincho. [...]