Pickled Blueberries and Corn

September 10, 2013 by Joan Nova in Condiments, Creative Cooking Crew Challenge, Food Challenge, Food Pairings, Recipe Development | 38 Comments

A melange of cultures and ingredients went into these jars – and it worked so beautifully I served it twice!

The theme for this month’s Creative Cooking Crew challenge is: pickle it!

Pickle anything and present it in a complete dish.

The combination of corn and blueberries came to me pretty quickly. The next question was what to serve it with … I think pickled food is best served with something fatty. The last piece of foie gras in my freezer? Nah, I didn’t want to give that up quite yet although I knew it would make a good pairing.

Because of the corn, I decided to serve it as an accompaniment to Cachapa (a sweet corn arepa) and added goat cheese to bring in a fat element and temper the pickle flavor.

I’ve “pickled” before but I had no confidence in my method which was basically  ’add vinegar’ so I had to do a little research on the conventional way to pickle, a process which spans a couple of days. I learned pickling can be daunting when you read the warnings. I’m glad I survived.

It also makes a mighty fine salsa for fatty salmon.

I got the proper method for pickling from online sources and then made it my own by using the following ingredients.

blueberries
fresh corn niblets
ginger
red onion
white vinegar
sugar
whole star anise
black peppercorns, cloves, red chili flakes
sprig of rosemary

The round-up of everyone’s dishes will be presented here on September 30th. Come on back you all.

_________________

1. christo says:

looks good – as usual you set the bar high.
    christo recently posted..Some say toe may toe – some say toe mah toe and even some say ‘matersMy Profile

2. It’s very pretty. I actually thought of pickling corn, but blueberries is a whole new twist. I can see it with the rich salmon too.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Cornflake Crusted Baked Chicken Tenders and Cookbook Review for Breakfast for DinnerMy Profile

I have loved anything pickled since childhood Joan.

• Joan Nova says:

My diet has always included vinegar as we ate salad with every meal in the Italian way (after the main course); however, mixing it with sugar or jarring/preserving of any kind … not so much.

4. I agree with Christo. You set a high bar Joan. The salmon photos are absolutely stunning.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Fried Green Tomatoes with Smoked Chipotles in Adobo SauceMy Profile

5. Norma - Platanos, Mangoes and Me! says:

Christo is right. You know my favorite would be the cachapa as I grew up eating them in Venezuela. The colors are so bright and your pictures are perfect.

6. the photos are gorgeous. I like the combos; was there a lot of sweet in this?

7. I love your creativity and think at times I would like to just curl up in your brain and live for awhile. You always inspire. Fantastic recipe and great photos–love the serving plate as well.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Pupusas–Salvadoran Cheese-Stuffed Cornmeal PattiesMy Profile

8. Shannon says:

love it! sounds like an absolutely wonderful combination, and i’m especially loving the arepa with goat cheese :)
    Shannon recently posted..PMC 2013My Profile

9. Hi Joan, the blueberries and corn would make a good combo as I love blueberry corn muffins, so could imagine the taste right away (sometimes I can’t with this crazy group of creatives!) And corn is sweet, so, of course it would work like fruit. I agree with having something fatty to go with it and both options look fantastic, especially the salmon. Or the cakes. Okay, I could eat both right now! Looking forward to seeing all the entries, I’ll be coming in towards the end to get the best flavor of my pickle!
    La Diva Cucina recently posted..Incredible Farm Produce Plentiful in Northwestern MichiganMy Profile

10. Just stunning pics and wow I would never have thought of combining corn and blueberries, even less as a pickle. Impressed!

11. Devaki @ weavethousandflavors says:

How absolutely beautiful. What a concept – I love it! Once again Joan, you continue to inspire.

12. Nuria says:

Wow, I love the first picture!
    Mmmmm pickles are so frequent here… Last one i ate was a quail in a carrot’s pickle.
    Muchos besos, Joan!
    Nuria recently posted..Red Peppers PureeMy Profile

13. Awesome recipe and your photos are fantastic!
    Brenda Benoit recently posted..A Simple Salad with a Mustardy DressingMy Profile

I am thrilled by this combination. Absolutely! GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Strawberry Shortcake Cookies Transform a Classic DessertMy Profile

15. You had me at fatty salmon. Nicely done, as always!
    Maureen C. Berry recently posted..Slow-Roasted Black Cherry TomatoesMy Profile

16. Victoria says:

Beautiful. The colors are so vibrant! I’ve had pickled blueberries in a salad once and was really impressed, so I can see how this would work really well!
    Victoria recently posted..The Glorious Vegetables of Italy: Pasta al Forno with Roasted VegetablesMy Profile

17. Love what you did with this! Plus. these are two of my favorite ingredients!
    Abbe@This is How I Cook recently posted..Barbecued Shrimp and the Challah is RisingMy Profile

Super combination of ingredients for a pickle. Love this paired with salmon. Great colors and textures.
    Excellent theme.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Calabacitas with Hatch ChilesMy Profile

19. Erica says:

Delicious,Joan! I love arepas de chocolo or cachapas! What a delicious combination!
    Erica recently posted..Boxeador (Beets, Banana and Papaya Cocktail)My Profile

20. deana sidney says:

I think blueberries and corn are brilliant to use together. Pickling is only dangerous if you are going to save it. I remember seeing peppers were particularly problematic if you added oil… botulism central! One of my favorite things is salmon with a blueberry salsa…. this is a great way to spin it. Great challenge, beautiful photos.
    deana sidney recently posted..Strasbourg, Overstuffed Freezers and Choucroute GarniMy Profile

21. I can imagine that this would pair with so many things. Love the appearance and it is so different.
    Patricia Durr recently posted..Barns and Corn Fields in IowaMy Profile

22. I love the idea of pairing the pickled blueberries with corn and salmon! It sounds like a wonderful dish!
    Jenn and Seth recently posted..Malt Syrup Blondies with Chocolate ChipsMy Profile

1. [...] Pickled Blueberries + Corn from FOODalogue. [...]