Family, Food, and a Colorful Potato Salad Recipe That Was Totally Upstaged by Everything Else!

June 3, 2013 by Joan Nova in Family, Party Food, Party Menus, Recipe, Recipe Development, Salads, Side Dishes, Vegetables | 15 Comments

In my family we celebrate birthdays BIG. Sometimes big is even x2, like Sunday when we celebrated both Cassie’s 17th and Aurora’s 21+.

‘Big’ is the operative word because (a) we’re a lot of people and (b) we always make big menus for our BIG appetites. Generally, the meal revolves around a food request from the birthday person. And then the family cooks get cooking!

I made two salads — the popular lemony quinoa, garbanzo and avocado salad (easily found on the internet) and a colorful potato salad (shown buried below) because, though delicious, they were totally superfluous — but I thought I’d share the recipe anyway.

The Main Event
Jim was the host/head chef and made Cassie’s 2 requests: empanadas and piñon.

Piñon made with turkey picadillo and sweet plantains was muy delicioso!

He also surprised Aurora with a traditional Empanada Gallega (salted cod, shrimp, peppers + onions).

[And he made grilled chorizos, yellow rice and black beans!]

And served multiple desserts.

Some of the kids:

Let’s play doggies.

Cousin Love

A few more out-takes and then the “recipe”.

The Matriarch and Jim.

Cassie gets a weekend in Austin, TX for the Music Festival.

Adriana + Teri

… and here now the recipe:

2-color roasted potato salad with 2-color corn and 2-color peppers in a chimichurri vinaigrette.

baby purple potatoes quartered, sweet potato diced to match purple potatoes, tossed with a little chimichurri vinaigrette and roasted in oven till tender

raw niblets from yellow and white corn, roasted poblano peppers minced, raw red bell pepper minced

tossed with chimichurri vinaigrette (parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, sherry vinegar, lemon zest, salt, red chili flakes and a little honey to balance the acid) and spooned over potatoes.

Postscript for all you keen-eyed photographers. Yeah, I stupidly didn’t check ISO at party which had been left on 6400 from a night shoot.

_____________

1. Edie says:

I love seeing pictures of the family. And as always the food looks delicious.

Gathering together with family is the best. There is so much to celebrate in life including these delicious salads, and everything else:D

3. Norma - Platanos, Mangoes and Me! says:

What fun..nice seeing the family and that salad…colorful and muy delicioso!

4. Nuria says:

Muchas felicidades!!!!!! Cassie looks soooo happy :D.
    We send mucho LOVE from here. We miss you beauties :D.
    Nuria recently posted..El Rocío, Andalusia. SpainMy Profile

5. What a fun family gathering–reminds me of my own when we weren’t all so far-flung. And of course, the chimichurri vinaigrette grabbed me right way. Inspired. Love it.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..A Special Tuna Salad and Moroccan Market FoodMy Profile

6. Love-Love-Love it!
    South Florida Food and Wine recently posted..Dinner at Canyon Southwest Cafe Fort LauderdaleMy Profile

7. Eroica says:

Wonderful food!I want a dozen of those empanadas, Joan!
    Eroica recently posted..My Colombian Recipes has Redecorated!My Profile

8. What a great memory and wow that food is amazing. I knew that was your mother right away. What a great looking family.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Strawberry Ice Cream with BalsamicMy Profile

9. Wow! So great to have such a beautiful family to share these events with. And they all can cook, how great is that. Eveything looks wonderful The patato salad look so good, the colors and the chimichurri vinaigrette is one I have to try.
    Patricia Durr recently posted..Weekly Photo Challenge – Signs SayMy Profile

10. Fabulous food with your family – it doesn’t get any better than that.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Luau at the Lake – 4th Annual Blogger Get-togetherMy Profile

Love purple + sweet potato mix.
    Such a darling post.
    Can relate to playing doggies, my nephew has been in Wilson’s dog house, with him.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Risotto: Carrot, Cumin, Vodka, Creme FraicheMy Profile

Muy delicioso and a happy family indeed! GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..What is Salsa Verde in Italian?My Profile

13. Marie says:

Will you adopt me? what a great family you have Joan, oh and you guys know how to eat!
    Marie recently posted..Grilled Vegetable SkewersMy Profile

14. Penny says:

Love that colorful salad and pictures of your family. What great cooks!