A Weekend in (and around) the FOODalogue Kitchen with a New Lens

May 5, 2013 by Joan Nova in Mexican + Southwestern, Photography, Spanish/Tapas | 23 Comments

Every time I opened my laptop this past week, I saw something Mexican. It whetted my appetite so I made my own little Cinco de Mayo party with what I had on hand.

Friday night.

A whole grain tortilla, a little mozzarella, a chorizo and a salad of cucumber, red pepper, parsley and tomatoes dressed with sour cream, hot sauce and lemon juice.

Saturday morning.

Breakfast
wasa cracker, almond butter, blueberries, honey.

Al fresco lunch at The Office on ‘the Avenue’.
Under the category ‘I dare you to treat yourself to this very expensive burger’, I ordered the Florida Blue Crab Burger with Remoulade Sauce and Spicy Peppers. It sounded so interesting and I know this place does really good beef and veggie burgers. Sadly, it wasn’t much more than a mushy crab cake (which I had been assured it wasn’t.) And, I didn’t even get a good focus on the photo! There are lessons to be learned here.

A Healthy Dinner
at home of caponata and quinoa made up for the lunchtime indulgence of $$ and calories.

Sunday
Another glorious day in Fla-la-la … early morning 73 degrees and balmy, a perfect day to take a spin around the nearby nature preserve.

Yeah, me and every photog/bird watcher in the vicinity.

It’s a wonderful place for flora, fauna (crocs, birds, ducks, turtles, etc.) and humanity.

Sometimes they let you get real close.

Lunch
I invited my mom and aunt for Sunday lunch.

And served a fennel, orange, radicchio salad with cucumber, radish, artichoke and oil-cured olives and citrus dressing.

Followed by an impromptu paella — yes, in the FOODalogue kitchen, that’s not a big deal.

‘estaba muy buena’ (they’re saying ‘it was very good’).

My new lens
is a prime 35mm f1.8 which I just switched out for my kit 18-55mm. I still have much to learn but, so far, I’m pleased.

Even in a dark room with very low (no) light, things looked good.

I hope you all had a nice weekend.

_____________

Your mom and aunt are so cute.
    Congrats on your new lens! YAY! The photos look great as does that paella. Happy Cinco!
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Ideas for Personalizing Mother’s DayMy Profile

It sounds like the perfect way to spend a weekend Joan. All the things we love to do. Your photos seem to blossom with your new lens.

3. Love your weekend…and the new lens! Shame about the burger though…it sounded great!
    Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Pumpkin and Cardamom TsourekiMy Profile

4. What an incredible view from your window Joan. And a vibrant, energetic, vivid and tasty weekend – so lovely to share in the enjoyment via this post.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..What happens in a smokehouse and making blinisMy Profile

5. Your mom and aunt look great, what is their secret? Must be the great food you serve them.
    Patricia Durr recently posted..Devil’s Garden, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, UtahMy Profile

6. Your mother and aunt look delicious enough to eat! They both remind me of my next door neighbour’s mother and sister from my home town. I have a 35mm 1.4 lens which I love – but it is not so easy to get used to for me. The clarity is INCREDIBLE when I get it right… but when I don’t, it is more than frustrating because I think I am doing the same thing I did when I got it right! Lessons on the horizon for me, I think!
    V
    A Canadian Foodie recently posted..Cheesepalooza Challenge Ten: Washed Rind Cheese (The “Stinkers”)My Profile

• Joan Nova says:

Thanks for your comment Valerie. Frustration has been my journey with photography too — though I’ve always thought your photos were very good. Sometimes I long for the days when I didn’t know as much as I do now. It was so blissful. :)

7. Fun post, Joan. Love, love the pics of your mom and aunt.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Comforting Chicken Pot Pie SoupMy Profile

Your new toy is amazing- what wonderful shots.
    “Impromptu paella” no problem just a little something I whipped up! So impressive!
    Robin Sue recently posted..Frozen Mixers you Make: Strawberry DaiquiriMy Profile

9. Hi Joan! Congrats on your new toy. Everything looks good, I agree with your mom and aunt — y que lindas estan las señoritas:) I want to visit you for that paella.

P.S.
    Your photos of Amsterdam and the Rhine are magnificent!
    Nancy/SpicieFoodie recently posted..Lemon, Garlic and Fresh Herbes de’Provence Roasted Chicken and A Slice of Chocolate CakeMy Profile

Nice new lens makes a nice new toy (and pretty pics). GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Seared Duck Breasts with Honey Coriander Sauce From In The Kitchen with Le Cordon BleuMy Profile

11. looking great! this place looks idyllic too and the mom and aunt combo very cute and sprightly. all in all it is looking rosy from this end.

12. Erica says:

Your mom and aunt are sooooo cute,Joan!!Happy mother’s day!
    Erica recently posted..Sabajón Colombiano (Colombian-Style Eggnog)My Profile

13. Looks like you have been having fun in the food department. Your mother and aunt seemed very pleased with their meal, as would I.

Lots of great food shots Joan. I’m very fond of the paella and all of the vivid colors and the tortilla with chorizo and cucumber salad. And fabulous close up of the bird. Sometimes they really enjoy showing off for the camera :)

Hope you are having a happy Mother’ Day weekend. I have successfully added your blog to Bloglovin’ and Feedly so I don’t miss another post.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Herb-Marinated Pork Tenderloin with a Greek Panzanella Salad from the Barefoot ContessaMy Profile