Mediterranean Flavors: Lamb, Walnut + Raisin Meatballs Over Eggplant Ragout

February 18, 2013 by Joan Nova in Food Pairings, Greek, Recipe Development, Vegetables | 11 Comments

No real recipe here — just a seriously good dinner with flavors that paired exceptionally well.

The meatballs, a blend of ground lamb, minced garlic, raisins, chopped walnuts, parsley, breadcrumbs, beaten egg, a dash of wine and dry seasonings, were browned in a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven.

The eggplant ragout (a/k/a caponata, ratouille) was leftover from the night before. I didn’t take note of how I made it because I do it often. It would be pretty much be like this or this.

I finished the dish with a tzatziki sauce, mini peppers and baby bella mushrooms that had be roasted with whole garlic cloves.

I have all the ingredients to make a version of meatballs in the next few days, you have inspired me to serve it up with some really tasty sauce!

Like the idea of raisins and walnuts in meatballs. Gonna try. Nice looking dish Joan!
    Lori Lynn recently posted..My Little Valentine: A Rescue StoryMy Profile

Very creative…I would certainly tuck into this!
    Peter recently posted..The Lancaster SmokehouseMy Profile

4. Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me! says:

Nothing like lamb and eggplant then all the other additions makes this an excellent dinner…I can just get a fork and dig in.

5. Yum. All the flavors I love best rolled into one beautiful plate. I love the way you presented it.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Beach Signs…and Coconut-Dusted Shrimp with Curry ButterMy Profile

A beautiful meal and a great inspiration. GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Savory and Spice (and Everything Nice) Raw Beet SaladMy Profile

7. Julia says:

Lamb and eggplant together is wonderful! I can’t wait to try this recipe out.

8. My kind of supper Joan. Everyone likes meatballs.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Meat choicesMy Profile

9. When I eventually come to visit you…I’m having dinner at your place EVERY night! This looks soooo gooood Joan!
    Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Photo Friday-Greek Yoghurt and HoneyMy Profile