Creative Cooking Crew: Meat n’ Potatoes Challenge

February 13, 2013 by Joan Nova in Breakfast + Brunch, Creative Cooking Crew Challenge, Finishing Touches, Meat, Vegetables | 23 Comments

What’s comes to your mind when you think of meat and potatoes?

I bet most people would say a Sunday roast or, perhaps, a slow-cooked stew or meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Undoubtedly, beef would be the most popular answer — so I went with ham.

Of course, I wanted to do something creative and, shortly after the announcement, my mind went to (and settled on) sweet potato waffles. I thought that would be unique but was disappointed to discover that sweet potato waffles have been done before. (Mind you, not that we are charged with coming up with a never-been-done-before dish, but still … sheesh.)

However, they had not been done by me! And they definitely haven’t been done this way. Breakfast, anyone?

I’m not much of a ‘sweet’ eater or a maple syrup fan so I hardly ever eat pancakes or waffles. However, a few months ago, I got the idea to create savory waffles and I rushed out and bought my first waffle maker.

Have I made a savory waffle since then? No, not until now.

Chipotle Sweet Potato + Ham Waffles

I started by grating a sweet potato and mixing it with a beaten egg, chipotle powder, pumpkin spice, a little sugar, a dash of salt, chopped chives, a few raisins and enough flour to hold it together.

And then I decided to dice up some of that ham steak and throw into the mix too so that every bite had the yin yang of salty and sweet.

A drizzle of honey …

and a few chopped nuts on top were a perfect topping.

Oh, what-the-hell, why not go all the way and add an egg?

[That's certainly not a normal breakfast in the FOODalogue kitchen but it sure was good!]

Can’t wait to see what the rest of the group comes up with.The round-up will be posted February 27 on Lazaro Cooks.

_______________

1. MMMMmmm Sweet potato waffles sounds delicious. I’ve never had them, and the egg is over the top for me. Love it.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..My Best Homemade Fluffy Southern Biscuit Recipe for My Southern HusbandMy Profile

This is definitely not what I would think of when I think “meat and potatoes.” But I like the way your mind works Joan.

3. christo says:

what a great idea!
    christo recently posted..Spicy Southwest Shrimp CocktailMy Profile

4. you bought a waffle iron????
    South Florida Food and Wine recently posted..S.Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef Competition MiamiMy Profile

5. ooooohhhhhh……..I am so, envious! this would be equally as detrimental to me as having pasta in the house. I would become the waffle queen, and then I’d look like a waffle…big and round! lol!

6. ada says:

I love this recipe…Your blog is so ‘tasty’….Ada from Italy

7. You are just so deliciously creative. I do hope you are working on a book.
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Layered Italian SaladMy Profile

8. Sounds like you had fun!
    A Canadian Foodie recently posted..Stained Glass Cookies: Happy Valentine’s Day!My Profile

Gosh Joan! You are a super star. After that spectacular dinner party you threw the other night, you already completed this month’s challenge? Impressive! And what a great idea. I wouldn’t hesitate to order this dish for breakfast, I like the addition of nuts and the egg on top completes the dish with a sunny flair…

The Casa Nova Bed & Breakfast. Coming soon?
    Lori Lynn recently posted..A Toast to Abraham LincolnMy Profile

10. I love the direction took here Joan and it sounds like an awesome breakfast. I made bacon waffles a not long ago but this tops it. I am coming over Sunday morning!

11. Laz says:

What a great take on the theme. My kind of meal anytime of the day.

12. Joan, your creativity knows no bounds! Brilliant…I love sweet potatoes!
    Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Zucchini Noodle SaladMy Profile

13. Wow, Elvis will LOVE this one. The egg over the top did it for me. I’m going to dust off my waffle iron. Very nice Joan.
    Maureen C Berry recently posted..Arugula-Cilantro PestoMy Profile

14. Norma-Platanos, Mangoes and Me! says:

Another creative post. This sounds wonderful and of couse it makes it better “al caballo”.

15. deana sidney says:

Lovely combination of ingredients in those waffles… love the idea of the ham inside the waffles and not plopped on the side. You have done well by the challenge!
    deana sidney recently posted..Princess Grace of Monaco Lunches on Lamb with the KennedysMy Profile

16. Victoria says:

Love the idea of savory waffles. Sweet potato and ham are a great combo here!
    Victoria recently posted..Pan-fried Sweet Potato and Pork DumplingsMy Profile

17. Shannon says:

I’ve done savory waffles once and really loved them (a spin on chicken and waffles… with salmon of course :-P). this looks like a killer version!!
    Shannon recently posted..Twice Baked Sw PotatoesMy Profile

18. Insanely creative. I love savory waffles too, and what a great combo this is!
    Victoria of Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Watercress, Mizuna, and Grapefruit Salad with Curry VinaigretteMy Profile