Improving on an Impulse Costco Purchase: Salmon Burger and Warm Asian Slaw

September 4, 2012 by Joan Nova in Asian, Finishing Touches, Fish/Seafood, Recipe Development, Vegetables | 17 Comments

I’m hardly ever satisfied with the purchase of a prepared food product these days. Perhaps because I really enjoy putting my meals together from scratch, perhaps because I’ve become obsessed with my “Finishing Touches“; perhaps because an impulse purchase is nothing more than, well, an impulse purchase. It generally turns into one of those  “what was I thinking?” moments.

A package of frozen Wild Pacific Salmon Burgers seemed like a good idea for a quick and healthy meal. But after trying the first one, I was underwhelmed. And since it was a Costco purchase, you know there was more than 1 burger in that package. I had to get creative.

Wild Pacific Salmon Burger goes Asian.

The burger was brushed with a blend of fish sauce, mirin and sriracha;
topped with sesame seeds and baked for 10 minutes on each side.

Warm Slaw
Going with what I had available, I julienned red cabbage and red pepper and gave them a quick boil in rice vinegar with a drop of soy sauce. To finish the drained vegetables, I tossed them with a drizzle of sesame oil.

Ah, the burger tasted so much better.

Next Time: I’m thinking next time I pull one out of the freezer, it’ll go Greek … very lemony with a crumbled feta and a chopped Greek salad.

But, then, there are still quite a few left — any ideas?

Salmon always benefits from Asian flavours. Next time go with a soy sauce/maple glaze. I will have to keep thinking about a topping.

I like salmon with fennel. How about a fennel slaw next time?
    Katie recently posted..Vote for Your Favorite Argentine Recipe 2012!My Profile

3. my kind of flavors, Joan!
    amelia from z tasty life recently posted..Photo Friday (#16)My Profile

4. I topped a Costco salmon burger recently with a homemade spicy blackcurrant-ginger sauce. Yum! Those salmon burgers are one prepared thing I keep on hand because my kids love them.

5. I would definitely go Greek next time….
    Platanos Mangoes & Me! recently posted..Té para Dos o Más- Tea for Two or MoreMy Profile

6. Dill-mustard sauce of some sort? You’ve inspired me so much I am going to see if our local Costco carries them.
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Healthy Corn Soup with Poblano Chile GarnishMy Profile

• Joan says:

Thanks, Victoria. For some reason, dill is a very under-used herb in my kitchen. I know it is a good accompaniment to salmon and I like your idea.

7. Yeah sometimes purchased products are necessary when busy :) The asian flavor additions sound good. Can also use any kind of flavored mayo with whatever herbs or roasted veggies you have.

8. The Greek version sounds fabulous especially with scallions and sun dried tomatoes. I had to chuckle hearing you got the whole costco pack of these suckers! Mind you nothing fires you up like a creative challenge so can’t wait to hear everything you come up with.

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..The Last Hurrah Before School ~ Cherry & White Chocolate BlondiesMy Profile

9. Laurie says:

Hi Joan! I’m glad you turned your underwhelmed into WOW! I’m so shy of Asian ingredients.. but they look so pretty on your salmon and sound beautifully put together. I also love adding the finishing touches.. you did an amazing job!

Underwhelmed into overwhelming. I expect nothing less. GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Alaska Seafood: Some Personal NotesMy Profile

Asian and Greek both sound great. Neat colors in the photo…
    How about Hawaiian?
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Lobster Pad Thai ~ DeconstructedMy Profile

12. Kristen says:

I LOVE this! I really like the salmon burgers from Costco. I am going to share this with my Facebook community today!