All-Red Skillet Pasta: Shrimp, Red Lentils, Spicy Tomatoes

August 11, 2012 by Joan Nova in Beans/Legumes, Finishing Touches, Italian, Pasta, Recipe Development, Seafood | 14 Comments

I love lentils, especially red ones. They’re more delicate and visually better looking than their brown cousins – and they require less cooking time. I built this very delicious meal around a small container of leftover lentils.

The lentils were originally cooked in chicken broth with minced onion, garlic, green pepper, carrot and roasted tomatoes.

For this meal, I cubed roma tomatoes and simply sauteed them in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and red chili flakes.

The shrimps were added when the tomatoes had broken down and the skillet was placed in the oven for about 10 minutes to finish.

A small amount of pasta was cooked separately and added to the skillet with the lentils, gently mixing the ingredients and absorbing all the flavors.

Finishing Touch: fresh parsley and ribbons of lemon zest.

E molto bene!!

Red is a vibrant colour to match the flavour profile here Joan. I like red lentils too:

I’ve never tried red lentils, but as you said, they’re definitely more visually pleasing than the brown ones. I love anything with shrimp, so I imagine I’d enjoy this dish.
    Katie recently posted..Tarta de dulce de membrillo con mascarpone | Quince Paste and Mascarpone TartMy Profile

3. Lovely! Red is my favorite color to look at and one of my favorites to eat as well (my son likes to eat yellow and orange foods (kabocha, navel oranges, etc.) and has since he started eating solids–I guess he comes by it honestly).
    Abigail (Mamatouille) recently posted..salmon with blackcurrant-ginger sauceMy Profile

4. Way to go girl. What a beutiful dish and I too love my red lentils…me gusto!
    Platanos Mangoes & Me! recently posted..ROPA VIEJA – OLD CLOTHESMy Profile

5. Once again, you inspire with your unique combinations. I might not have thought to add shrimp to leftover lentils, but this dish looks great! I also love lentils. This week I made lentils in the style of Cuban picadillo. Yum.
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Mmmmm…SamosasMy Profile

6. Bravo!I really detest lentils – but value their nutritional contribution. I believe it is the texture, as their flavour is almost bland. I like to grind them and use them as thickeners in soups and sauces. This looks YUMMY! :)
    V
    A Canadian Foodie recently posted..Cheesepalooza Supplies: Ian’s Show and TellMy Profile

• Joan says:

That’s a good idea to use them as a thickener; however, try the red variety – it doesn’t have the same muddiness as the brown ones.

7. Shrimp and red lentils go SO well together! Your photos are mouth watering, I’m loving this recipe Joan!
    P.S. I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award =] http://www.freespiriteater.com/2012/08/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html
    FreeSpiritEater recently posted..Very Inspiring Blogger AwardMy Profile

8. As it happens I am making a bowl of red lentils tonight for dinner but never would I have thought to mix them with shrimp and pasta.

You are always inspiring :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Kadhai Paneer ~ A Lip-Smacking Vegetarian Stir-fry from North IndiaMy Profile

9. Ivy says:

A dish well paired together. A very humble ingredient like lentils has been transformed into a gourmet dish. I would add some red chili as well for an extra kick :)
    Ivy recently posted..5 years Blog Anniversary with Chocolate Peppermint Almond CakeMy Profile

10. Chris says:

Looks really DELICIOUS & HEALTHY!…being a HEALTH FREAK, I must try this tonight !! Great idea !!:-)

Bet it was delicious.
    Love how you plate the couple shrimp next to the little spaghetti mound.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Loup de Mer à la Provençale #CookForJuliaMy Profile