Lamb Shank Stew with Eggplant Sauce

July 17, 2012 by Joan Nova in Meat, Pasta, Recipe Development, Stews, Vegetables | 21 Comments

What’s more satisfying that a slow-cooked stew with all those levels of flavor and comfort? It doesn’t have to be lamb, though a shank works mighty well. The same recipe could be used with pork, beef, or poultry.

For me, a stew is equally (if not more) about what other ingredients get thrown into the pot than it is about the protein. Though unintended, the ingredients here produced a taste slightly reminiscent of a Moroccan tangine.

5.0 from 4 reviews

• 3 dates chopped
  • 1 cup garbanzos pre-cooked
  • fresh mushrooms sliced
  • exotic dry mushrooms
  • ½ cup wine
  • 1 tbs tomato paste
  • bay leaf, salt, pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf
  • olive oil
  • fresh parsley to finish
How To
  1. Start meat cooking by a quick brown in olive oil.
  2. Add vegetables and seasonings.
  3. Cook about 2 hours on medium-low until lamb is fork tender and falling off bone and the eggplant has cooked down and melded with the other ingredients into a sauce.
Notes
1. Best to let sit about half-hour before serving. 2. Vegetable/sauce was more than needed for 2 servings. But that isn’t a bad thing. I just popped the leftovers in the freezer for future use.

<<< Fast Forward One Week >>>

The container did not last long in the freezer. The eggplant sauce with little pieces of lamb that fell off the bone made a delicious ragu sauce. I topped it with with chopped hazelnuts, lemon zest, parsley, red chili flakes and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano which provided a perfect balance to the sweet notes of the sauce.

1. Yum. Lamb, eggplant, and dates. Perfect combination. It really is reminiscent of a good Moroccan tagine. And your pictures are lovely. I always seem to have a hard time photographing meats or stews.
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Berry No-Bake Cheesecake Tart with Chocolate CrustMy Profile

• Joan says:

Yes, it is difficult to photograph meat – I got excited when I turned the plate and I got the straight on perspective of the bone. I knew that would be far more interesting than the meat.

2. OMG! Does that bone every look flavourful. A photo can really do food justice, at times… and I love your leftover recap, too. YUM!
    A Canadian Foodie recently posted..Saskatoons are Ready!My Profile

YAY for lamb. I like so many things about this stew – dates, cinnamon, garbanzos to name a few. Love the photo looking right into the bone…
    Can’t decide if I prefer the pasta or the shank dish better…
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Leg of Lamb, Curry Quinoa CrustMy Profile

4. Shannon says:

oh, that sauce!! sounds incredible :)
    Shannon recently posted..Veggie Reuben PizzaMy Profile

That’s damn inviting, tasty and would be good on my plate right now!
    Peter recently posted..Greek Food Gazette 17/07/2012My Profile

6. I think I’m the most excited about the ragu sauce. I’m such a fan of little bits of meat on pasta.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..The Fish Store in Toronto-Eating in TorontoMy Profile

7. Oh my word—going on my “must make” list for sure. Joan, what do you think of this in a slow cooker?
    Abigail (Mamatouille) recently posted..lettuce wraps with pulled pork and purple-cabbage picklesMy Profile

Excellent job of photographing something not ready for the beauty pageant, but it sure is packed with flavour!

9. Love the idea of using eggpant Joan with the lamb shanks…this looks divine!

10. Hi Joan,

There really isn’t anything more satisfying then a big pot of stew. Your recipe is fantastic! I love how you used the leftovers too. Thanks for sharing:)
    Nancy/SpicieFoodie recently posted..Burrata with Heirloom Tomato Raspberry Basil and Mint Salad, A Guest Post by Patty’s FoodMy Profile

11. I have to make this one for Alan! He loves lamb and eggplant. You’re recipes are always inspiring, Joan.
    kristy @ the wicked noodle recently posted..Potato-Stuffed Poblanos with ShrimpMy Profile

12. Patty says:

Hi Joan! You just had to add that eggplant in your stew to really make my mouth water,lol! Great recipe for a lamb shank, my kind of comfort food, that’s for sure!
    Patty recently posted..burrata with heirloom tomato, raspberry, basil and mint salad, my guest post for spicie foodieMy Profile

13. Marie says:

Love that bone photo, you got my attention and I don’t even eat lamb!

14. First I want that bone..so much goodness inside. What is it about eggplant and lamb that pair so well together. Joni I love the photos….
    Platanos Mangoes & Me! recently posted..LOUKANIKA – GREEK SAUSAGE WITH ORANGE PEEL AND A HINT OF OUZOMy Profile

15. Eleanor Hoh says:

Love lamb shank esp. with eggplant, this looks incredibly inviting, Joan.

16. Eleanor Hoh says:

Oops, forgot to rate recipe!
    Eleanor Hoh recently posted..BBQ Spicy Hoisin RibsMy Profile

17. Born27 says:

This sounds amazing and it looks really delicious. You inspire me with your recipes. Thanks for sharing! Love it!
    Born27 recently posted..FedEx Conference CallMy Profile