Morel Raviolo • A Cooking Club Challenge

May 29, 2012 by Joan Nova in "Foodie" Activities, 5 Star Foodie Makeover Cooking Group, Appetizers, Blogging, Condiments, Finishing Touches, Food Challenge, Pasta, Recipe Development, Soup, Techniques, Vegetables | 32 Comments

Welcome to Le Morel, a virtual restaurant and the result of the current 5 Star Cooking Club challenge.

[5 Star is a band of about 25 fearless food bloggers who take on monthly culinary challenges prompted by the evil twins, Natasha and Laz <just joking. No vote-pandering is involved with these challenges. We do it for ourselves. We do it for the love of our art. We do it for fun. And, we do it for the pleasure of our readers.]

So, come on in and take a seat while I introduce you to the other cooks in the Le Morel kitchen and entice you with our 3-course morel tasting dinner.

The Backstory.
Two months ago, the cooking club was broken down into teams of 3. Our directive was to create a virtual restaurant with a secret theme or seasonal ingredient — and, of course, to do our creative best. My team pretty quickly decided on morels which were just coming into season. The name was a no brainer after that and we democratically decided that I’d do the first course (called L’Entrée in France), Jessica La Plat Principal, and Laz Le Dessert.

Being the zealot that I am, I did this dish more than a month ago and have had to ‘sit on it’, anxiously awaiting the big reveal today.

*        *        *

Mademoiselle, Monsieur, tonight’s menu, sil vous plait.

Isn’t this a great menu? Don’t you just want to see how each dish was made?

For your first course, we have morel 3 ways … (1) a morel and caramelized onion raviolo in (2) morel broth with shaved asparagus and a (3) morel-salted sweet butter.

I must tell you that my first recollection of tasting morels was nothing less than otherworldly. It was during one of those ‘expense account Wall-Street lunches’ at an exclusive midtown restaurant in New York. I had Cream of Morel soup for the first time. O Mon Dieu!
So when my team picked ‘morels’ as our theme ingredient my mind immediately went back to that soup. But this is a culinary challenge and I wanted to do something different.

Morels cream and butter.

They also pair nicely with other Spring vegetables like asparagus. So why not sweet onions? I thought it might work and it did!

The morels were woodsy and chewy,
the onions sweet and creamy.
The broth was light and flavorful
and the butter … well, it’s butter and it rounded everything out.

In researching morel for this challenge, I was surprised to learn that a common treatment is breaded and fried … Qu’est-ce que? Sacrilége!

Please be sure to click through and visit my fabulous teammates, Jessica for your entrée and then to Laz for a creative morel dessert.

On Friday, June 1, check out all the ‘restaurants’ on 5 Star Culinary. You’ll be amazed at what these bloggers come up with in these challenges! And while we don’t ask for votes, we sure do appreciate your visits and comments.
4.7 from 7 reviews

Morel Raviolo

Ingredients
  • 4 pasta squares cut in large rounds (eggroll wrappers)
  • 4-6 morels depending on size
  • 8 ozs. organic vegetable broth
  • 1 small clove garlic
  • fresh asparagus shaved
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • sweet butter
  • olive oil
  • salt, pepper, nutmeg, dry morel
How To
  1. Caramelize onions slowly till they are very soft and then pulse in blender. Set aside.
  2. Saute morels in butter.
  3. Remove and chop.
  4. Return half to pan and add vegetable broth and 1 small clove of garlic.
  5. Simmer about 15 minutes and blend or strain broth.
  6. Fold the remaining morels into the onion mix, add nutmeg.
  7. Roll out pasta square and shape to circle.
  8. Press shaved asparagus tip in top half of pasta, spoon on filling, top with another pasta sheet and seal.
  9. Gently lower in broth on low boil for just a few minutes.
  10. Remove and plate.
  11. Add 1 ladle of broth.
  12. Add shaved asparagus to garnish.
  13. Top with chilled butter.
Notes
Raviolo Butter: Mold sweet butter with apple corer, grind 1 small dry morel and mix with coarse salt, coat butter in salt, and press in asparagus tip. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate. Serves 2.

This is an amazing menu Joan and I am enthralled by the ravioli. I wish I had a friend who knew where to forage for morel mushrooms..maybe one day.

2. Fabulous! Foodalogue, just Fabulous!
    South Florida Food and Wine recently posted..Interview with Executive Chef and Partner Peter Vauthy, Red The SteakhouseMy Profile

3. C’est Magnifique! No wonder you were antsi…sitting on this wonderful creation…I will also reserve a seat for 1. I must try the butter…Congrat mon ami…
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..RICOTTA FRESCA + ARUGULA FLOWERSMy Profile

4. Laz says:

Fantastic use of the morel. In so many creative ways. A fabulous first course, that would be an amazing main course.

It was a joy working with you, thank you for all your hard work and creative energy.

Bravo!

5. Amazing job on the challenge. Morel was a great choice and that is the best ravioli I have ever seen. Me want!
    Evelyne@cheapethniceatz recently posted..5 Star Makeover: Raphanus! Fish tortilla with a citrus & vanilla gastrique radish salsa, battered radish leavesMy Profile

6. Another inspiring and incredible recipe. I haven’t tasted fresh morels since I lived in Paris–and that’s a long time. I can’t wait to see the rest of the challenge–what a great event. But I can see where my vote will go…
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Mughlai Cuisine and a Gentle Chicken KormaMy Profile

7. Victoria says:

Joan, this is a truly beautiful dish! I can almost taste it as I peruse your pictures and read your words. Great start to the meal! Yum!

8. Joan this looks outstanding and right up my food alley. Morels and Porcini are my favorite mushrooms. I will have to try the ravoli for sure, but the rest of the menu also sounds wonderful.
    Patricia Durr recently posted..Worth Ave, Palm Beach where the Rich and Famous ShopMy Profile

9. What amazing food! I love morels too but they’ve nevever looked this good!

10. Patty says:

Wow, morel ravioli! Now I’m hungry;-) Nice job with a very special ingredient;-)

11. Divine is all I can say. And, I would eat at your restaurant any time. I like your comment about the butter rounding everything out.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Italian Lemon Olive Oil Cake and a Happy 13th Wedding AnniversaryMy Profile

12. Penny says:

Morels are so lovely. Wish they were not so dear when you buy them. I love what you have done with them. It showcases their earthiness. Beautiful as usual Joan.
    Penny recently posted..Oh the People You’ll Meet!My Profile

13. What a lovely start to the morel tasting! I like the addition of asparagus. And the nutmeg in the broth. Very nice!

This is very ritzy and surely was adored by all. Who can say no to morels?
    Peter recently posted..Divine Shrimp Boukies (Bites)My Profile

15. Ella says:

I can almost taste it as I peruse your pictures and read your words. Thanks for the mouthwatering post.
    Ella recently posted..Low Carb Diets That WorkMy Profile

16. This recipe looks fantastic! I love the presentation as well.

I am actually hosting a morel linky party at http://www.2sisters2cities.com/2012/05/fresh-produce-tuesday-morel-recipes as part of our Fresh Produce Tuesday series.

I would love if you submitted this recipe!

-m
    2sisters2cities recently posted..Fresh Produce Tuesday- Week #10: Morel RecipesMy Profile

17. Faith says:

That menu is absolutely beautiful — and so is your dish! Love how you paired morels with sweet onion!

18. Marie says:

Oh my, what beauty to see first thing in the morning! That last shot makes me want to go and grab a fork and dig in! Beautiful Joan

Marveaux Morels! I have made a giant raviolo myself. Such fun to serve at a dinner party! GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Default Pasta- Green Garlic PestoMy Profile

20. I can’t get over how creative you guys are. Wow and double wow. The nutmeg is a great touch. A top notch 5 star challenge.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..An Authentic Cajun Crawfish Boil at the LakeMy Profile

21. SUPER RITZY, CLASSY and all round GASTRONOMIC DELIGHT. Well done Joan, you’ve done true justice to the gorgeous morels.

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..It’s That Kind Of Day ~ Watermelon Basil SorbetMy Profile

22. Erica says:

Wow!This event is amazing…I can’t wait to visit all the restaurants :)
    Erica recently posted..Ensalada de Repollo con Tomate (Cabbage and Tomato Salad)My Profile

23. I love that you guys challenged yourselves by using morels. You guys did an amazing job, love your recipe and photos. Congratulations on a job well done! Have a great weekend =]

24. I follow Laz and Lori Lynn and am constantly in awe at their talent. Now I must say, Et tu Joan? Honestly, I am sitting here salivating at the presentation and the description of this delectable dish and wishing I could get a table at Le Morel Fondee tonight!!

I’m in love with your dish Joan! It is really a fabulous creation. I’m so glad it’s the first dish we see on the round-up on Natasha’s blog. Really sets the mood.

The images are terrific and I adore that gorgeous bowl too :)
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Welcome to Ciao Fiore!My Profile

26. Shannon says:

oh yes, this is simply lovely. Great way to treat the morel, and i’d happily reserve a table :)

27. Oh wow Joan… absolutely scrumptious course! And stunning as well!
    Magic of Spice recently posted..What’s for dinner? Crispy Polenta and Black Bean Cakes with Mango FriesMy Profile

28. Wow, Joan, this is so creative. I’ve only cooked with morels a few times since they’re so expensive but I just love the flavor they add to a dish.
    the wicked noodle recently posted..dulce le leche ice cream sandwiches with toasted pecans & salted caramel sauceMy Profile

29. Tanantha says:

What a beatiful presentation of morel!

30. Kay says:

Sounds absolutely delicious and looks fantastic!

1. [...] FOODalogue for Morel Raviolo en Broth and Lazaro Cooks! for Morel Ice Cream Sandwich, with Chocolate and Chili Cookies & Candied [...]