Cauliflower Tex-Mex Pizza with No Flour

May 21, 2012 by Joan Nova in Bread, Pizza, Flatbreads, Finishing Touches, Mexican + Southwestern, One dish meal, Recipe Development, Vegetables | 15 Comments

I must have been living under rock. When it metaphorically lifted, I discovered a lot of people in the foodie world were buzzing about cauliflower pizza crust.

I knew this was something I had to try.

I first saw cauliflower pizza crust on my friend Angela’s Spinach Tiger blog. She provided a few links to others who have done it and I took it a step further and found even more sources via a google check. They vary with using just cauliflower or some added nut flour or flax seed. It’s good to check a few to understand the basics – and then go for it.

I did!

But …

In typical FOODalogue fashion, I glanced at the recipe and forged ahead. Two minutes later, after crumbling the cauliflower and adding an egg, I realized I’d skipped the microwave step. I guess, sub-consciously, I didn’t understand why that was necessary anyway. So I carried on and ♬ did it my way ♬.

And, I decided to make it Tex Mex. ¿Por que no?

I’m not gonna lie. This is not ‘pizza’.
Truth told, the best part of pizza (IMO) is the dough.

This is pizza ‘light’. A healthier substitute — and a damn tasty dish!

This is the baked crust before topping and broiling.

And on the plate.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Cauliflower Tex-Mex Pizza with No Flour

Ingredients
  • 10 ozs. cauliflower florets
  • 1 egg
  • about 12 ground almonds
  • 2 plum tomatoes
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • dry seasoning (salt, chili flakes, chipotle powder)
  • ½ cup (est) Mexican blended cheese
  • ¼ cup (est) black beans
  • 4 jalapenos
  • 1 avocado chopped
  • 6 stuffed olives sliced
  • 2 tbl capers
  • fresh herbs minced
  • 1 lime juiced
  • olive oil
How To
  1. Process cauliflower and almonds in food processor.
  2. Add egg and dry seasonings and pulse to mix.
  3. Layer evenly on parchment paper in cast iron pan.
  4. Sprinkle chipotle powder.
  5. Bake at 425 degrees till sides toast and center dries and lightly browns (about ½ hour).
  6. Pulse plum tomatoes with olive oil, dry seasonings and chipotle.
  7. Set aside.
  8. Make avocado salad with capers, stuffed olives, and tomato.
  9. Dress salad with lime juice, olive oil, dry seasonings and set aside.
  10. Remove crust from oven.
  11. Brush tomato on crust, layer with cheese, black beans and jalapenos.
  12. Put under broiler until cheese melts.
Notes
2 servings

Finishing Touch: Sprinkle minced fresh herbs and top with avocado salad.

1. I think I like this without the microwaving part AND, I want to add in flax seeds. So many ways to go. Yes, best part of real pizza is the crust, but sometimes I give bread up for a while, so this is where I’ll try this again. Love those olives and cheddar cheese too. I’m going to give that a try also.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..How to Tenderly Grill Boneless Chicken Breasts and Hazan Family Favorites CookbookMy Profile

2. Laurie says:

Oh yes.. the wonder of Pinterst. That’s how I first came upon cauliflower pizza crust. And I loved it! I have used the cauliflower alternative to many starchy recipes. Definitely try mashed cauliflower.. instead of potatoes, with a yummy gruyere or a soft ripened cheese. To die for!

Love your Tex Mex topping.. sounds delish!!

3. Foodiewife says:

Well, I guess I’ve been living under a rock, too. I’ve never heard of this, but I LOVE it! The Tex-Mex was a good call. Next time my vegetarian friend comes over, I’d bet she’d love this.

4. I have a good friend who cannot eat gluten but loves pizza. She’ll be my friend forever when I make this for her.

5. Annie says:

No flours pizza….This looks very new to me and I think I should give this a try as well.. Anyway, I want to make my own like this..
    Annie recently posted..Healthy Dinner with Crock Pot GuideMy Profile

6. I must be under your same rock because this is the first time I’ve seen this. LOVE!! I can’t wait to try it!! It’s one of those “duh!” moments where it’s so obvious and easy but has so much potential. Thanks for sharing! {and yes…love that you made it tex mex!}
    the wicked noodle recently posted..blueberries with some oatmeal muffinMy Profile

7. Buela says:

Oh Juana what a gift to your carb addicted friends! This will be great for my next appetizer party.

8. how interesting: i will have to try this unusual crust as a carb alternative
    amelia from z tasty life recently posted..Finding random things in the kitchen, and a hazelnut cake (torta di nocciole) with honey drizzleMy Profile

9. I saw this on Angela’s blog too. I love the way you made it your own. I’m tempted to experiment with this and “Greek-ify” it.

I have seen the cauliflower crust pizza floating around on Pinterest, but I haven’t gotten up the nerve to try it. I think I’m too carb-addicted to let go of my regular crust. It does look good though, and you can’t go wrong with Tex-Mex toppings.
    Katie recently posted..Linguistic Camouflage: Learning to Blend InMy Profile

We’ve been under the same rock Joan. First time I saw it was on Angela’s blog too. I’m going to give it a whirl myself. Your version looks awesome.
    I’m going to heart-healthy my version…sometime after the “restaurant” opens.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..For Your Next Party: The Black CourseMy Profile

12. After eating so much jamon and non veggie dishes on vacation…this is a great healthy dish. Loved the pictures of individual slices…
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..WE AREMy Profile