Warning: Broccoli that You Can’t Stop Eating!

March 9, 2012 by Joan Nova in Vegetables | 39 Comments

This is not the usual colorful FOODalogue post. The camera lens just doesn’t love roasted broccoli like I do. And like you will.

Everyone eats vegetables these days. Why? Because many have stopped cooking them in water on top of the stove and thereby leeching them of all taste and nutrients. Yes, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts, etc. are being popped in the oven in kitchens all over, but have you tried roasting broccoli?

I never cook vegetables in water. But I did cook broccoli stove-top … starting with a little chicken broth and once that was absorbed, I would then add garlic and olive oil to finish. Although I’ve been roasting a variety of vegetables for quite some time, I never thought about roasting broccoli. But my sister did. Once I tried it, I fell-in-love … hard!

In fact, it is now my favorite roasted vegetable.

It’s no big deal to do. Cut florets (I reserved stems to make soup later in the week) and toss with olive oil and dry seasonings* and roast in high oven (400 degrees) for about a half hour. That’s it.

You can eat it like that and you’ll love it. The first time I made it I could barely get it on the plates because I was glomming it straight from the pan. :) Or you can add a drizzle of evoo, a little grated cheese and a sprinkle of red chili flakes.

Do you eat roasted broccoli? If not, you must try it. Trust me (you do, don’t you?), you won’t be able to stop eating.

*FOODalogue dry seasoning mix: coarse salt; ground fennel seeds, star anise, oregano, Spanish paprika, red chili flakes.

Note: FOODalogue suggests this recipe as a guide to food pairings and techniques to be experimented with…in your own kitchen…to your own spice and taste levels…and to your preferred portion sizes.

1. Eleanor Hoh says:

Love broccoli, never tried roasting but after seeing yours, think I’ll have to try.
    Eleanor Hoh recently posted..Ginger Honey Wok Brussel SproutsMy Profile

2. Arlene says:

Roasted veggies are my favorite, particularly cauliflower and brussels sprouts. I must admit that the one time I roasted broccoli, it did not turn out well. Since yours was so delish, I’m going to have to try it again.

• Joan says:

I hope you do try it again. I forgot to mention in the post that the aroma that wafts from the oven really sets the stage for what’s to come.

3. I’ve taken to roasting different types of veggies lately and recently tried broccolini…I was surprised. A nice drizzle of evoo and I had a beautiful side!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..London againMy Profile

4. Maureen says:

I roasted broccoli for the first time last week in response to a blog post I’d read. It’s delicious! I love roasted veggies but broccoli – oh my!
    Maureen recently posted..Food Writer Fridays – Greg Henry from SippitySup.comMy Profile

5. Edie says:

Never tried roasting it. I have fresh in the frig and will try it tomorrow night. I’ll let you know.

6. Laz says:

Lovely color. Roasted broccoli works very well. Glad to see the old veg getting the treatment around blogs.

7. Foodiewife says:

Yes, ma’am. I love roasted broccoli…such a deep and nutty flavor. Love cauliflower that way, too. We eat broccoli at least once a week. Thanks for reminding me to roast it, as I usually steam it with a squirt of fresh lemon juice.

8. Joanne says:

Roasted broccoli is the BEST! I always make it to snack on because it’s filling and so good!

9. I’ve roasted cauliflower (my absolute fave–and like you said about your broccoli, it hardly made it to the table!), green beans, wax beans, brussel sprouts, carrots, parsnips, you name it. I think I roasted broccoli once…must do it again!

10. cinzia says:

I know what you mean, Joan.
    I hated cauliflower (mostly stewed) till I discovered roasted cooking :-), but I do it in a non-sticking pan, with a little oil, medium flame and a bit of white wine sometimes.

Roasting improves the flavour of so many veggies Joan. This is done in FOODalogue Style!

12. Yes, I would probably eat this non-stop.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Hunger Games Lamb Stew with Dried PlumsMy Profile

13. You say the camera doesn’t love roasted broccoli, but I really like that top photo. I love the bit that is “roasted.” Very appealing to me. I have roasted broccoli as a part of a melange of vegetables, but never honored it on its own. Now I definitely will!
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Fast and Easy Potato-Zucchini WafflesMy Profile

14. I just roasted both broc and cauliflower on Friday…and you are right it is delicious and nothing was left over….did not take pictures because it looked so ugly…you are brave!
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..VENEZUELAN BEEF RIB SOUP- SANCOCHO VENEZOLANOMy Profile

15. Dorothy says:

I bought it, tried it, love it.
    Thanks.

16. brii says:

I laughed when I read the title over at Foodbuzz, and had to come and see at once.
    Must try your dry seasoning mix, Joan..sounds wonderful to add not only to the roasted broccoli.
    Have a nice Sunday,
    baciusss
    brii recently posted..Smacafam di grano saraceno o focaccia trentina con grano saracenoMy Profile

17. Just bought a lovely head of broccoli from the farmer’ market yesterday. Have never tried roasting but will tonight. Thanks Joan
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Pomegranates and rosesMy Profile

18. liz says:

Any roasted veggies are delicious. When making pot pies or veggie lasagna, roasting the vegetables first enhances the flavors. Love them!

19. Roasting is a great idea for broccoli. It’s just so easy to overcook it on top of the stove unless you are willing to stand over it, at least that’s been my experience. Overcooked broccoli is disgusting.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Spicy Shrimp – two ways to serve the same dishMy Profile

Joan, my brother made us roasted broccoli like this one Christmas Eve for our big Italian dinner. Like you said, it barely made it to the table as we were grazing right from the roasting pan. So delicious. I haven’t gone back. Most veggies in my house are now roasted. Even asparagus. Who cares if the camera doesn’t like it, I sure do!! I also like your dry seasoning mix. Star anise? I love how you mix so many flavors- I learn so much over here in your kitchen. Will have to get some and try it out. Thanks Joan!
    Robin Sue recently posted.."Remind Me" Wee Dundee CakesMy Profile

I definitely trust you Joan.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..When to “Doggie Bag?” Your Thoughts?My Profile

22. I almost always roast my veggies with the exception of grilling in the summertime. Occasionally they may get sauteed when making pasta but even that is fairly rare. Roasting just adds so much flavor and I love when they caramelize and get crispy edges. YUM!!
    the wicked noodle recently posted..slow-roasted tomatoesMy Profile

23. Ben says:

I’ve never roasted broccoli, but now I want to try it!
    Ben recently posted..Maize – A recapMy Profile

24. Cley says:

I love eating broccoli but not that overcooked, I only love it when it’s sauted. Thanks for sharing this.. Good job!

25. I ADORE roasted broccoli and sometimes I pair it with cauliflower but I am totally giving yours a go with your enticing spice rub :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..The Simple Joys of Life : Banana & Fresh Cranberry BreadMy Profile

26. In the plan……it looks wonderful and of course I trust you :-)….no reason not to. Stay well
    Kitchen Butterfly recently posted..Celebrating You – International Women’s Day 2012My Profile

I’m all about roasted veggies. My particular vice is roasted cauliflower–I think I could eat a whole head for dinner! I’m not sure I’ve subjected broccoli to the oven treatment yet, but next time I pick up a nice, fresh head, I’ll follow your advice, Joan!
    Katie recently posted..On Being Fat in ArgentinaMy Profile

28. Ben says:

OK, I just tried this today and I’ll never eat steamed or boiled broccoli ever again!
    Ben recently posted..Maize – A recapMy Profile

29. giz says:

Yum – I’d rather have roasted vegetables any day – that whole intensified flavour thing is totally true.

30. Tanantha says:

I’ve tried roasted asparagus and brussel sprouts but not roasted brocoli. It sounds great, tho, especially a charred flavor from it!
    Tanantha recently posted..Panko Fried Cod, Lime Red Curry served on herbed Basmati Rice and sake spinachMy Profile

31. not only are you a FABULOUS cook but damn! your food photos are just spectacular! I love broccoli!
    South Florida Food and Wine recently posted..In the News: food, drink and the South Florida lifestyleMy Profile

32. giz says:

I made this – thanks for inspiring me – it was the biggest hit and now everyone wants only broccoli. Go figure.
    giz recently posted..Maple Grilled Jumbo ShrimpMy Profile

1. […] you liked my roasted broccoli post (and many of you did), you’ll love this one too! It’s sort of like lasagna … […]