Vegetable Stew with a Fragrant Coconut Curry Sauce

March 15, 2012 by Joan Nova in 1-2-3 Quick + Easy Vegetable Meals, Finishing Touches, Recipe Development, Vegetables | 18 Comments

Yes, this was a use-up-the-vegetable-drawer inspired dish. My intention was to make a vegetarian dinner and I, mindlessly, headed in the direction of my usual Mediterranean flavors — and then I remembered the can of coconut milk I bought when I was at the supermarket the last time — so I set the S/S FOODalogue on a different course.

I’ve dabbled with Indian flavors a time or two, but not enough to know what the heck I’m doing. But that never stops me …

… so I pulled out some curry powder and garam masala from the back of the spice cabinet and set sail to Mumbai.

Later, as I sipped a little wine and enjoyed the wafting aroma of dinner, I had a conversation with myself that I’ve had before. It goes something like this:

with the exception of the coconut milk, this is pretty low in calories;
it would have been even healthier if you used the brown rice instead of white;
this is really delicious!
you should make dishes like this more often!

5.0 from 1 reviews

Vegetable Stew with a Fragrant Coconut Curry Sauce

Ingredients
  • mushrooms
  • fresh peas
  • carrot diced
  • fennel diced
  • baby spinach
  • scallion (green onion) minced
  • cilantro
  • sweet mini peppers (sliced in rings)
  • dried prune (orange-essence)
  • coconut milk
  • garlic
  • garam masala
  • curry powder
  • salt + pepper (dash)
How To
  1. Put vegetables in oven with a little olive oil, salt + pepper at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.
  2. Set rice to cook.
  3. Make coconut sauce by blending milk, garlic, garam marsala, curry powder, S+P in sauce pan.
  4. Add sauce to vegetables in the oven and cook an additional 10 minutes to absorb flavor.

Finishing Touch: chopped almonds, scallions and a swirl of siracha (not shown).

Note: FOODalogue suggests this recipe as a guide to food pairings and techniques to be experimented with…in your own kitchen…to your own spice and taste levels…and to your preferred portion sizes.

1. Nice to see you dabble in Indian, Joan :) The colors are smashing :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

2. Ben says:

Oh yeah! Another colorful dish that makes you hungry by just looking at it.
    Ben recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – ChinampasMy Profile

3. Nuria says:

Ha, ha, ha… love the conversation with the inner Joan! Yes, I think it must have tasted so good! Love the combo: rice, veggies, sauce :D
    Nuria recently posted..Monkfish in green sauce and ClamsMy Profile

4. Wow, that’s a pretty fabulous “use up the leftovers” kind of dish! LOVE curry & coconut milk, it’s such an easy way to get layers of flavor.

5. that looks really good….
    South Florida Food and Wine recently posted..In the News: food, drink and the South Florida lifestyleMy Profile

6. Hey did you save some for my arrival or did you just eat it all. Sounds really yummy and I hardly have curry. Looks quite good and colorful. See you mañana.
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..VENEZUELAN BEEF RIB SOUP- SANCOCHO VENEZOLANOMy Profile

7. Just looking at the colors of this makes me hungry. This is not “your mama’s” stew, bright and different. Enjoy your time with Norma.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Hunger Games Dandelion Salad with Blood Orange Salad DressingMy Profile

8. This is another one of those dishes I can almost taste just by looking at the beautiful photos. I can’t imagine why I have never thought to roast vegetables for Asian cooking. Never. What a good idea! Nice recipe–looks beautiful, has great ingredients, and is simple to make.
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Green InspirationMy Profile

Inspired by the veg drawer! I call that “I won’t go to the market today and I am proud of that” cooking! GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Do Potatoes Make Cake Irish? @TheTableSet Thinks SoMy Profile

10. Casey says:

This is a “love at first sight” dish. Beautiful presentation.
    Sounds delicious and looks even better.
    Casey recently posted..Potato, Zucchini, Goat and Cheddar Cheese GratinMy Profile

11. I love the running commentary Joan – you are so daring and dashing and it results in such joyful food.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Pasta that refreshes the parts…My Profile

12. Laz says:

Love the bold flavor profile especially the garlic and garam masala. I am big fan of curry. Also a big fan of not wasting food, great job.

What I really want to know is how do I book passage on the S.S. FOODalogue? ;)
    Katie recently posted..On Being Fat in ArgentinaMy Profile

14. sounds interessting and yumm! by trying around flavoures one can discover awesome new dishes. thats exactly what u did!

15. oh I love this: right up my alley for Asian night. Rice, veggies and a coconut curry: what’s not to like???

16. I often talk to myself whilst cooking too! I love anything with coconut…especially curries!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Baked Zucchini Fritters KolokithokeftedesMy Profile