Roasted Red Grape Salad with Bacon + Pecans • Garlic Crostini with Raspberry Bacon Jam

March 19, 2012 by Joan Nova in "Foodie" Activities, Bread, Pizza, Flatbreads, Breakfast + Brunch, Finishing Touches, Florida, Fruit, Party Food, Recipe Development, Salads | 17 Comments

This is a great salad to carry to a party. Whether you carry it out or wow guests at home, it really is a ‘must try’.

Salad was my contribution to a ”foodie potluck” brunch in South Beach on Sunday and I wanted it to be special. This is an event where everyone really brings it, literally and figuratively!

There was an amazing array of Bellinis, Bloody Marys, Martinis, etc. and food items from a trout caviar bar to nutella-covered spicy bacon to salmon pastrami to Spanish tapas to Thai dumplings to Greek Easter breads to … to … to … to …to … Too much!

40 foodies x 40 sweet + savory dishes x 40 crazy cocktails = 1 helluva a feast!

I’m delighted my salad made a spectacular presentation — and the taste was equal to the look.

I prepped everything the day before — cutting, roasting, toasting, and making the vinaigrette — and packed it away separately in the refrigerator. Once I got to the party, it was an easy assemble. Easy peasy!

Keeping with the all-RED theme, I also made a Garlic Crostini with Raspberry-Bacon Jam and Hawaiian Sea Salt which I made from …
a multi-grain bread with lots of grain and seeds, brushed with olive oil, s+p and toasted in the oven. I rubbed each piece with raw garlic, especially around the edges, while it was still hot.

The jam was made by mixing a store-bought jar with crumbled bacon. To add a savory element, I doctored it with a little crushed rosemary, garlic and a splash of hot sauce. I finished it off with some orange zest — put it back in the jar and carried it to the party.

Take a bite —  first comes the hint of garlic, then comes the sweet of the jam, followed by the surprise of the bacon and, lastly, the crunchy salt.

5.0 from 1 reviews

RED RED RED • Roasted Red Grape Salad with Bacon + Pecans

Ingredients
  • radicchio (slivered)
  • red pepper (sliced thinly)
  • red onion (sliced thinly)
  • red globe grapes (roasted)
  • pecans (toasted)
  • bacon (crumbled)
  • edible flowers
  • garlic
  • rosemary (crushed)
  • olive oil
  • rice vinegar
  • salt + pepper
How To
  1. Toss grapes with evoo, s+p and a little crushed rosemary.
  2. Roast at 375 for about ½ hour (you don’t want them to shrivel).
  3. Set aside.
  4. Make vinaigrette by pulsing a handful of roasted grapes with evoo, rice vinegar, a little piece of garlic, s+p.

Note: FOODalogue suggests this recipe as a guide to food pairings and techniques to be experimented with…in your own kitchen…to your own spice and taste levels…and to your preferred portion sizes.

[The salad was a success but the photo editing was a challenge. I found it difficult to balance out all the various shades of red, red, red in photo editing.]

1. Maude Eaton says:

Love it! Beautiful creative and delicious! Brava Joan for always “bringing it” .

2. Eleanor Hoh says:

I loved this grape salad, they were so juicy and delicious and balanced the bite of radicchio. It’s a mix I like with the different textures, colors and flavors. Mad I missed your garlic crostini, boo. Glad I got a bit to take home, having tomorrow.
    Eleanor Hoh recently posted..March Events (Updated)My Profile

3. Gorgeous!!! I’ve never had roasted grapes but this sure makes me want to try them pronto.

4. I so love the idea of this salad and will definitely try it. I have made roasted grapes with garlic for crostini and wrote about it once, but the idea of adding them to the vinaigrette is truly inspired–as always when coming from your kitchen. Love the raspberry-bacon jam idea as well–great combination of flavors with the sweet, the salty, and the garlic.
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Mexican-Style Summer Olive SaladMy Profile

5. Spectacular and event looks super fun. I love this and I want to bring it to my next pot luck. I’m curious why you chose to use a rice vinegar instead of a wine vinegar?
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Green Potato Soup for St. PatrickMy Profile

• Joan says:

There wasn’t a lot of thought (if any) in the choice but probably because I find it lighter and less acidy than wine vinegar — and I didn’t want to use Balsamic.

6. Maureen says:

Absolutely beautiful. I love roasted red grapes and your salad looks delicious. What a fun time.

Oh Joan, that’s a stunner!
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Linguini, Smoky Avocado Sauce, Black Beans, LimeMy Profile

8. Buela says:

Totally fabulous, so you Juana !

9. The salad looks really luscious and I love the jam idea.
    Patricia Durr recently posted..The Passion of The Wynwood Art District, Miami FLMy Profile

10. Absolutely beautiful Joan. So creative.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..All in good taste?My Profile

11. This does have some amazing ingredients! You did bring together some great flavor elements and the dish looks so inviting. Well done.

12. Forget the rest of the party, your salad looks amazing!! I’m definitely going to try it. LOVE your presentation, too – just gorgeous!! And that jam – WOW! Such a great balance of flavors. I wish I could have been there!
    the wicked noodle recently posted..Italian Sausage Mini Pizzas with Balsamic SyrupMy Profile

If only there were events like this close to home!

14. This looks like edible ambrosia fit for the gods! Love it and what stunning flavors. I wish I could’ve been there :)

chow! DEVAKI @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Curried Shrimp Deviled EggsMy Profile

15. I know this is delicious because I was there and I tasted it. Also, the jam was so tasty I ate it for days…
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..VENEZUELAN BEEF RIB SOUP- SANCOCHO VENEZOLANOMy Profile

This took my breath away! I have been grilling my fruit to bring out the sweetness, and wanted to try roasting- now I am convinced to do it. I like how you made the jam too!
    Robin Sue recently posted..Halt! BRK is Under ConstructionMy Profile