Fun in the Kitchen: Photos, Art, Whimsy!

March 12, 2012 by Joan Nova in Entertaining, Photography | 16 Comments

I realized the other night that my kitchen is so reflective of my sense of humor and my lifestyle. This cartoon, which hangs on the side of my refrigerator, is decades old, yellowed with age … and, yet, it still makes me laugh.

I’d ask you to take a seat while I show you around, but I swapped out the space most people use for a kitchen table for a 6 foot waist-high stainless steel work table. My guests usually hang around the dividing counter between the dining area and the kitchen.

The room is small — not as small as a NYC galley space, but small. Its saving grace is a window on one end and open space created by a half wall to the dining/living room area on the other.

I’ve got art close to the ceiling and on the floor. ↑↓

My stove sucks big time. It’s builder-issued and 10-years-old, as is my refrigerator.  If I had the Viking or the Samsung I covet, I’d probably have to find a new place for my ‘art’. But, for now, it’s here, there and everywhere and it makes me smile.

Most of these pieces are old and have moved with me time and again. Many remind me of travel over the years to places like Greece, Italy, Spain, etc. Others just tickle my fancy.

One of my most cherished and whimsical pieces is the little pig that sits in my refrigerator and oinks every time I open the door.

So, it seems my kitchen decor clearly speaks to the fact I like wine, food, travel, color, humor, Latin music and that I have a love-hate relationship with diet. Pretty accurate. What does your kitchen say about you?

Here’s more from the FOODalogue kitchen. (47 photos)

1. I love the pig that oinks when you open the fridge!! LOVE!! I would love to secretly put one on our fridge and hide around the corner while each one of my kids & hubs opened it. I would probably be laughing so hard before they even opened the door that I’d give it away :-)

Thanks for the fun peek into your kitchen!!
    the wicked noodle recently posted..slow-roasted tomatoesMy Profile

2. liz says:

A great place to drink, cook and eat!

3. I showed my two kiddiewinks (ages 6 and 3) and my husband the pic of the fridgy piggy, and as I expected, they loved it! My sons told me to ask you to put a video of it on your blog so they can see it. :) My 6-year-old also told me to tell you that he loves you (I think the pig really impacted him). In his words, “The pig is funny, funny, funny!”
    Abigail (aka Mamatouille) recently posted..fish croquettes and purple slawMy Profile

4. Also love Sister Mary Merlot! Too cute.

5. What a GREAT post. I loved the glimpse into your life and taste. I’ve always said that a house with no humor is just no house at all–and I love your humor.

You had said its too bad I don’t still live in South Florida, but I say maybe you should just visit Mexico! I would so love it if some of my new-found foodie/blogger friends could visit this amazing place where I live and I could introduce them to corner of the world!
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Green InspirationMy Profile

A person’s home says a lot about them Joan. I’d have to say mine is a dreamer’s kitchen….dreaming of state of the art appliances, dinnerware, and plenty of artisinal foods!

7. I love kitchen art! Thanks for the smiles. I received a menu chalk sign for christmas but have yet to make good use of it. Other than hanging it horribly crooked on the wall lol. Have a good one =]
    FreeSpiritEater recently posted..Birthday Chocolate Ancho Cake Roll w/ Scarletta BakesMy Profile

8. Thank you for sharing this little personal tour Joan. Ok. That pig rocks! LOL!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Home Made PicklesMy Profile

9. Marie says:

I love the picture of the woman on the scale! ha ha! You’re kitchen is colorful just like the way you cook Joan!
    Marie recently posted..Limoncello Tart with Amaretti Cookie Crust and Blueberry Blackberry SauceMy Profile

10. Nuria says:

So nice to be able to have a look at your kitchen (pieces of it). Thanks for sharing :D
    Loooove the piggie!
    Nuria recently posted..Monkfish in green sauce and ClamsMy Profile

11. I always look forward to my visits and I never know what surprises I will find. But always warmth, vino and great food. The pig is a laugh, but not when he reminds one not too indulge..how can we not when there are so many goodies in the fridge? Great post!
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..VENEZUELAN BEEF RIB SOUP- SANCOCHO VENEZOLANOMy Profile

12. Cindy says:

Your kitchen makes my kitchen looks like a prison cell!

There’s more positive energy in your kitchen than in a DisneyLand flooded with unicorns :)

13. Great idea, Joan! I think a kitchen shows the personality of the cook..I get to know you better now! Lovely!
    Cristina, from BA to Paris recently posted..French Baba, in Tropical Fruits Minestrone & Syrup !My Profile

So cute Joan!
    It would be a fun project to show pictures of kitchens and a list of their owners, then try to match them up. Yours would be easy ~ artsy and never dull.
    P.S. Mine is about to be redone, centered around a La Cornue range, ahhhh. Maybe in Provence Blue…
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/la-cornue-cornufe-stove-provence-blue/ Not sure what it will say about me, definitely not afraid of color!
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Chicken Pad Thai, Korean-StyleMy Profile

15. Love this post. Just looking at it makes me smile :-)
    Brenda Benoit recently posted..Miami Culinary Tours visits the Neighborhood of WynwoodMy Profile