The “Anti-Super-Bowl-Menu” Supper

February 6, 2012 by Joan Nova in Appetizers, Beans/Legumes, Holidays, Party Food, Side Dishes, Spanish/Tapas | 26 Comments

I like parties, celebrations and gathering with people over food and drink, but I can’t be enthusiastic about Super Bowl Sunday. You see, the problem is I’m not a football fan and I don’t like wearing team t-shirts, drinking beer, or eating poppers and buffalo wings. What’s a gal to do?

I decided to invite a friend over for an “anti-Super-Bowl-menu” supper and an evening of chit-chat and watching the half-time show … though I must confess we did get caught up in the last 5 minutes of the game!

We started with a little bubbly and then progressed to Pinot Noir.

Cerignola Olives with Tangerine + Garlic

Vinegared White Anchovies

Pepperdew Stuffed with Peppercorn Studded Italian Cheese

Pan de Tomate

Shrimp with Garlic, Tomatoes, White Wine

Chorizo Braised in Sweet Vermouth

Mushrooms and Artichokes with Ham and Sherry

Broccoli Rabe (to put on Pan de Tomate)

Olive Oil-Braised White Beans with Parmesan Rind

And to finish off, Christine’s streusel pound cake and a scoop of cappucino gelato!

I really enjoyed this Super Bowl Sunday and may make it an annual tradition. Congratulations to The Giants!

1. Those food pics are fabulous! LOL! So two dark haired raven beauties sipping a bottle or two of wine, eh??!
    South Florida Food and Wine recently posted..Interview with Aaron Brooks, Executive Chef, Edge, Steak and BarMy Profile

My kind of feast! My night was the typical Super Bowl foods- chili, popper dip, chips, etc. I have a teenager that begged us to go to the neighborhood party. Maybe next year we will send all the boys to one house and all the gals to mine and eat and party Joan style!

3. NO….I totally missed it. Thought it was another one of your “original” pieces of artwork you just happened to create….

4. I can’t decide which I’d want to try first! I think the Pepperdew’s, then the olives, then chorizo. It all looks delcious!!

5. Gail says:

Everything looks so good! Everything! And I love the painting too. Is it yours?
    Gail recently posted..Out of the AshesMy Profile

• Joan says:

It’s a photo of a serving dish I have on the coffee table…but, you’re right, the theme is the same as a lot of art hanging on the walls of Casa Nova!

Hey don’t knock the jalapeño poppers! ;) Actually, I love your menu, and I would be delighted to sample each and every one of those dishes. However, it would also be interesting to see you try to re-work a classic Superbowl menu into something more creative (and maybe a bit healthier too?).
    Katie recently posted..Gaucho Garb Drives the Chinas WildMy Profile

I didn’t watch the Super Bowl either and I would have enjoyed your healthy with a lil’ decadence dinner!
    Peter recently posted..Marianthe’s Baked Octopus and EggplantMy Profile

This sounds like my kind of SB party Joan. I didn’t even turn on the TV…I’m bad.

9. Yay, for anchovy love! Sounds like a fun night spent over tapas. The rest of your menu is lovely, too, though I am especially eyeing the shrimp with tomatoes and white wine. Delish!
    Lemons and Anchovies recently posted..Tapas: Peri Peri Pepper-Almond Dip with Marinated AnchoviesMy Profile

10. Wish I came to your Super Bowl Party!

11. Ben says:

Nice! I used to watch the super bowl, but lately I just can’t get excited about football anymore… I would rather have an anti-super bowl party like yours!

12. Go Giants…Go Blue…Hey I just watched the show and heard my husband scream throughout game. Wish I was with you to enjoy the feast.
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..FLAN DE TRES LECHES – THREE MILK FLANMy Profile

13. I’m with you on this one…I don’t do team t-shirts or football games either. But this anti-game menu inspires! I was particularly taken by the idea of Chorizo Braised in Vermouth. But then, I would probably like cardboard braised in vermouth…

Lovely post. Beautiful, tempting food.
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Fruit Tart GigglesMy Profile

14. Joan: sign me up for your anti-party ANY time. I love that you always go against the current. It all looks delicious.

Cute post Joan!
    That is some spread!!
    Love your little olive dish. Chorizo and sweet vermouth, such an intriguing combination, I gotta try!
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Why deep-fry a turkey?My Profile

• Joan says:

It was the first time I used sweet vermouth with chorizos. I thought it would work — and it did! P.S. I got the olive dish in Provence.

16. Sorry am a bit late to your party…but this fine selection of foods doesn’t need men running around in tights to be enjoyed! As ususal Joan, your food entertaining ideas are spot on!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Cajun-Style Salmon SouvlakiMy Profile

17. Nuria says:

What a festival of great food!!!!! And there was only 2 people? Wow Joan, I want to be in the next superbowl because I don’t like it either!!!!!! ;D
    Nuria recently posted..Beef’s tongue [Flickr]My Profile

18. Are you kidding??? I would rather be at your house Joan – everything you touch shines :)

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY TO YOU & YOURS :)

chow :) Devaki @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Valentine’s Day ~ KARMEL SUTRA TartletsMy Profile

1. […] And how I can say this is that here I am 16 months later still talking about the food. My friend, FOODalogue hosted the gathering in her home; her menu was exceptional, a little bit of this, a little bit of […]