Putting the Finishing Touches on Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

February 27, 2012 by Joan Nova in Finishing Touches, Soup | 23 Comments

In the almost 4 years I’ve been blogging, photographing and sharing food with all of you, I’ve written a thing or two about ‘finishing touches’. In fact, one of my early posts from August 2008 was my way of introducing you to the concept and my kitchen mantra:  just because it’s cooked (or plated) doesn’t mean it’s ready to be served.

Not very eloquent but you get the point, right?

I think I’m channeling my inner Emeril. Remember him? You don’t see him around much these days but I remember him from the early days of FoodTV. He was famous for “Bam!” and “take it to the next level”.

I so agree!

A plate of roasted butternut squash soup is a wonderful thing. It’s tasty, filling and comforting, but …

what if you top it with little pieces of ham steak?

And threw in some freshly toasted pumpkin seeds?

And then, just for the hell of it, why not add some crispy fried onions?

And don’t forget a fresh grind of black pepper. BAM!

1. Walter says:

What a lovely variation of the Butternut soup, I like it a lot and will try it out

I agree that those little touches are meaningful and can definitely “kick it up a notch.” I have a butternut squash waiting to be used, and you’ve already got me thinking about my own finishing touches… Smoked pancetta and garlic croutons perhaps?

3. I’ve said it before Joan and I will repeat it again…you certainly have the “knack” for putting that extra something into a dish to give it that much needed lift…and you do it so naturally! I love what you have done to this humble pumpkin soup!
    Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Photo Friday-Shades of RedMy Profile

4. Nuria says:

It truly improves the dish, Joan! My daughter never eats a puree without that last touch :D, she basically goes for the acorn ham in dices… BAM!
    Nuria recently posted..Calçots in TempuraMy Profile

5. Ben says:

Bravo! That would take any soup to the next level :)

6. Soup is good food!
    South Florida Food and Wine recently posted..29 wines for $29 on February 29 at Area 31 MiamiMy Profile

7. I know you and your touches. I can just taste this creation of yours. Que rico!
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..Arroz con Gandules y Chorizo – Rice with Pigeon Peas + Spanish SausageMy Profile

8. This was an inspiring post, Joan. When I photograph dishes during my cooking classes, I don’t always take the time to garnish as well as I could. But you are so right, it makes such a difference to both the eye and the mouth! I feel inspired indeed.
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Roasted Eggplant Bisque with Honey-Harissa Sauce and Parmesan CrispsMy Profile

9. Four years of ‘bam’ – every post a winner Joan. Congratulations on your next milestone.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Sexy bagelsMy Profile

10. I absolutely adore butternut squash soup, I am loving the finishing touches you added. Thanks for sharing! =]
    FreeSpiritEater recently posted..150 Calorie Spicy Asiago & Spinach Baked EggsMy Profile

11. I am not sure what looks more appetizing, the soup or the toppings. But often my soup toppings sink :-(
    Evelyne@cheapethniceatz recently posted..Blueberry Upside Down CakeMy Profile

Yes yes yes to all those final touches!
    Robin Sue recently posted.."Ol’ Red" Puppy Pizza BiscuitsMy Profile

13. Penny says:

You can never over embellish your soup. This is brilliant. Thanks. I just made a butternut squash soup and thought a Parmesan crouton was enough. Wrong! Thanks to you. Thanks Joan.
    Penny recently posted..Vegetable TianMy Profile

14. Finishing touches are very important! I like your toppings of ham steak, pumpkin seeds and crispy fried onions for the butternut squash soup, just perfect!

15. Laz says:

Agreed on all counts. As a person who’s known to finish a few dishes. Love the idea and execution of your soup. Looking forward to Saturday.

Be well

16. Marie says:

Your food is always adorned so beautifully Joan!
    Marie recently posted..Stuffed Tomahawk Pork ChopMy Profile

17. Christy says:

That’s what most perfectionists would do, ‘to put the finishing touches’ and as you have mentioned, just because the food is cooked, it does not mean that it is ready to be served. A saying I know only too well as my mum used to say it a lot..hehehe!:D
    Christy recently posted..My Travel Food Diary: Lunch in Shui Zhen Yuan RestaurantMy Profile

18. Penny says:

BAM!!!I have seen Emeril on the occasional talk show, etc but can you believe his shows have never been on our Network. The Internet however is full of his recipes. Way to channel your inner Emeril Joan!

20. Gail says:

Bam! Is right. It looks fantastic!
    Gail recently posted..Out of the AshesMy Profile

21. I loved ALL your finishing touches…AND I’m adopting them (with your permission)
    Thanks!

22. Bren says:

Love it. And yes, what happened to Emeril? I saw him on Top Chef a few weeks ago but haven’t heard much from him in a while. I still remember cooking with him. What a nice guy. He’d love this! Especially with all that ham! :) I’ll take all of the soup with the seeds, pls…