A Most Unusual Valentine Bouquet ♡ You Can Eat!

February 13, 2012 by Joan Nova in Asian, Italian, Pasta, Salads | 20 Comments

It was love at first sight! And bite!

This huge bouquet of endives with stems and roots attached greeted me at the door when I returned home from a weekend in Sarasota. I think there were about 14 heads in total in the package.

The delivery was from @discoverendive and was a promotion to introduce California endive to food bloggers. You’ll be able to see recipes on various blogs and photos are being posted to flickr through the end of February.

Being away for the weekend, I didn’t have much time to think about recipes but I couldn’t wait to try them — so i just dove in and made do with what was at hand.

An endive Asian chicken salad was lunch for 2 today.

…2 roasted chicken breasts with raw endive, sauteed snow peas, scallion, toasted ramen noodles, almonds, chow mein noodles and a sesame oil and rice vinegar dressing.

Dinner was ‘endive pasta carbonara light’.

Whole wheat pappardelle and raw endive tossed with sauteed endive, garlic, crumbled bacon in olive oil and a pat of butter mixed with an egg yolk and parmigiano reggiano and coarse black pepper.

The endive was so fresh and tasty — and I loved the visual of the red/white combination. Happily, there’s about 8 or 9 more heads to experiment with. :)

Happy Valentine’s Day!

1. Liz says:

Love a girl who thinks on her feet!

2. THAT is FABULOUS!! I’m so jealous I didn’t get one. I adore endive. Fun!!

Happy Valentine’s Day, my friend!

The fellow from California Endive was at Eat, Write, Retreat in Washington when I was there. A very nice gentleman who introduced me to some excellent ways to prepare it just like this Joan.

4. Ben says:

I don’t like Valentine’s day, but I love that bouquet. Sounds like you had fun using it :)

5. Colorful and delicious lunch! Good luck on the remaining heads =)

6. cinzia says:

what a versatile bunch of seasonal flowers! :-)
    love endive and like very much your salad & pasta, happy S.V.!

7. Nuria says:

How original! I love the bouquet, Joan!
    Have a wonderful Valentine’s day, darling!
    Nuria recently posted..Magdalenas con mantequilla de cacahuete [Flickr]My Profile

8. What a treat to find on your return home Joan. Happy valentine’s day. Hope you had a nice time in Sarasota.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Crème Brulee – an amazingly elegant French dessertMy Profile

9. What an original gift for a foodie! I learned to love endive when I lived in France and have only been able to get them in Mexico in the last few years. I love your fresh ideas (as always) for using them!
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..Pears and Cheese ReduxMy Profile

10. Dorothy says:

A bouquet that looks good and that you can eat. What could be better. Love what you did with it. Happy Valentine’s Day!

11. Laz says:

Fabulous salad. Perfect cooking on the chicken. Good job.

12. What a great salad! I have a case of endive coming to me and needed some inspiration :)
    Happy Valentines Day!

13. Look at that! Give you ‘flowers’ and you make a meal! LOVE how you never hesitate, dive in and make it divine :)Happy Valentine’s Day Joan

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

PS – Thanks for the pin!
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Valentine’s Day ~ KARMEL SUTRA TartletsMy Profile

14. Arlene says:

You certainly put that lovely bouquet to great use; both look delicious. Hope you enjoyed your time in Sarasota. I’ve a place on Longboat Key and wish I were there right now!
    Arlene recently posted..Pork Scaloppine with Lemon Caper SauceMy Profile

15. Such a creative salad for Valentine’s day! Love the idea! The pasta with endives looks just excellent too!

16. What a great surprise and how quickly you developed these recipes. Not surprising coming form you…..muy rico!
    Platanos, Mangoes and Me! recently posted..FLAN DE TRES LECHES – THREE MILK FLANMy Profile

An endive bouquet, how fabulous! I’d take that over chocolate any day!
    Hope you had a happy Valentine’s Day Joan!
    Lori Lynn recently posted..A Special Dinner Honoring President LincolnMy Profile

18. What an amazing bouquet! And as usual you come up trumps with two fantastic recipes! I’m loving the carbonara Joan!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Very Vegan Raspberry Ice CreamMy Profile

19. what an awesome idea for a foodie valentine’s gift! Love It!!!