Wonton Surprise Ideas

January 20, 2012 by Joan Nova in 1-2-3 Quick + Easy Vegetable Meals, Appetizers, Asian, Finishing Touches, Recipe Development, Vegetables | 18 Comments

I get no comfort from the ‘same old, same old‘ way-of-life…and that includes cooking. But, you know me, I don’t like complicated either. This is a simple and fun way to serve your veggies. Wrap them up! It’s a gift on your plate…for you and your loved ones!

The How and Why

Well, I already told you the “why”. It’s no secret that I take pleasure in adding a twist to either the preparation or the presentation of dishes coming out of the FOODalogue kitchen…and onto my plate.

We all love our veggies roasted these days, right? They taste a gazillion times better and I’d venture to say they better retain their nutrients and are healthier than any other form of cooking.

There is no recipe* for this. It’s pretty straightforward and simple, but I think it makes an interesting presentation and it tastes good too!

I used broccoli and cauliflower florets with a little piece of mozzarella at the bottom of each, but potential fillings are infinite. As I cut into first the broccoli and then the cauliflower, several ideas came to mind.

If you’re a saucy kind of person,
you’d probably like a little marinara over this.

Or you could make it Asian.
No cheese, but a drizzle of sesame oil inside or a little sweet + sour sauce on top.

How about Mexican with a bean filling and salsa topping?

French? Greek? You get the idea. :)

*Recipe

• Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle dry seasonings (salt, pepper).
  • Roast for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
  • Lay out egg roll wrapper (it’s larger than wonton).
  • Spray/mist 1 side with oil. That’ll be the outer side.
  • Add little piece of mozzarella cheese in center of dry side and top with several florets.
  • Lift ends to center and pinch top.
  • Bake about 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees till wrapper browns.

Note: FOODalogue suggests this recipe as a guide to food pairings and techniques to be experimented with…in your own kitchen…to your own spice and taste levels…and to your preferred portion sizes.

1. Oh, I just love clever ideas like these! I agree, same-old, same-old gets boring. I have very few recipes I’ve ever made more than once (drives hubs crazy ;) This is definitely a fun way to serve veggies for both kids and adults.
    the wicked noodle recently posted..meyer lemon margaritaMy Profile

2. Marie says:

Brilliant idea Joan, I will be doing this for sure! BTW, I love your disclaimers and guides, can I borrow them?
    Marie recently posted..Playing with Portobello’sMy Profile

• Joan says:

Thanks, Marie. It’s always been difficult for me to provide the typical recipe with quantities because it’s not the way I cook. But, because I love blogging, I’ve tried to comply and provide a recipe of sorts. It still troubles me, however, because I don’t know how many people whoever reads a post is cooking for or what their taste levels are and that’s why I prefer to say it’s a guide or suggestion. And, yes, you may adapt the message for your blog. I know we are similar cooks.

Yay! I love surprises. :) I completely identify with the constant quest for something new and different in the kitchen. I definitely get bored with the same old, same old. Here’s to experimentation!
    Katie recently posted..Red Wine and Watermelon: A Deadly Mix?My Profile

This would defintely make any veggie taste delicious Joan including brussels sprouts:D

5. Looks so light and a great way to add a twist to a meal or how about that little something when watching your favorite sports game. I think I will add this idea to my TV Dinners.
    Patricia Durr recently posted..Marky’s – International Food EmporiumMy Profile

6. Clever idea! And pretty as well. Like most people I love little packets of attractive, tasty food, and although I have made lots of wontons, I never thought to use them this way. Thanks, Joan.
    Victoria Challalncin recently posted..Creamy Potato Soup with Bacon VinaigretteMy Profile

7. Liz says:

Great idea and versatile! Thanks Joni for the new ‘twist.’

This is dim-sum from Joan-sum…look’s yummy!
    Peter recently posted..Braised Rabbit With Mushrooms and OrangeMy Profile

9. giz says:

I love presents and these little purses of yummy are perfect. I’ve only made similar things with shrimp but you’re right, the possibilities are infinite.
    giz recently posted..Happy Seolnal (Korean New Year) Eat Your KimchiMy Profile

10. mjskit says:

What a very clever idea! I can see all sorts of surprising bites in addition to your broccoli. These would be fun appetizers at a party.
    mjskit recently posted..Sweet and Spicy Citrus SaladMy Profile

11. Patty says:

Very creative little bites! I like these for a delicious appetizer and all the possibilities for variety, definitely something out of the box for me!

12. Delicious idea! I never think of using these nifty little pieces of pastry but should! They are so convenient, and impressive too! I would stuff them with some meat and onion filling, I think.

13. Clever idea Joan. And I too love your little disclaimer. I think a spinach and feta version may be in order or even a lamb and grape molasses. Now you have me thinking!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Photo Friday-A little bit of SydneyMy Profile

This is a beautiful way to serve up my leftovers too. Sometimes the family gets tired of eating big batches of things over and over, but this would make it so much better with a bit of cheese or fun dips. I have made a big pot of corned beef hash, and if they see it one more time they will tar and feather me, but this may work with a nice sharp horseradish dip. Thanks Joan- you always have fresh ideas for food!
    Robin Sue recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

15. I’d have a hard time not eating an entire plate of something wrapped in such a pretty little package like these are. A couple of my nieces are not big on veggies but they would gobble these up before they even realize what’s in them!