Stuffed and Stewed Calamari (calamares rellenos y guisados)

January 26, 2012 by Joan Nova in Finishing Touches, Fish/Seafood, Recipe Development, Spanish/Tapas | 12 Comments

I love this and you will too…if you’re a fan of calamari. It’s definitely a lick your chops kind of meal.

Stuffed and Stewed Calamari (calamares rellenos y guisados)

Ingredients
  • 6 cleaned calamari (tubes and tentacles)
  • 12 ground almonds
  • 12 golden raisins
  • 2 cloves garlic minced (1 for stuffing, 1 for sauce)
  • ½ cup wheat panko
  • several tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • handful of minced parsley
  • dry seasonings including Spanish Paprika, Red Chili Flakes, Saffron
  • 1 potato diced
  • fresh stringbeans
  • ½ red pepper diced
  • ½ red onion diced
How To
  1. Mix panko, ground almonds, garlic, raisins, minced parsley, dry seasonings and a little olive oil.
  2. Fill tubes and close with toothpick.
  3. Sprinkle with Spanish paprika.
  4. Sear in olive oil in cast iron pan.
  5. Add tentacles, tomato sauce, wine, diced vegetables, dry seasonings, and wine.
  6. Bring to a boil and move to oven.
  7. Finish in 375 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
Notes
Serves 2

Finishing Touch: Toss in a capful of sherry vinegar and a handful of freshly minced parsley.
Note: FOODalogue suggests this recipe as a guide to food pairings and techniques to be experimented with…in your own kitchen…to your own spice and taste levels…and to your preferred portion sizes.

1. This is un-frekkin-believably delish JOAN. PLEASE tell me – do yours toughen up when you cook ‘em? And how do you stop that from happening?

I LOVE the Sicilian inspired stuffing…

chow:) DEVAKI @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..ALFAJORES De Dulce De Leche Cookies from ArgentinaMy Profile

• Joan says:

Thanks. It’s definitely representative of both my cultures (Italian and Spanish). I’ve had my share of mishaps cooking calamari until I learned you either do it very quickly or cook it long which I did in this recipe and it worked very well. I think I’ll stick to the stewed method.

I’ll take a plate of these stewed calamari. No tentacles for me though, please. ;)

3. Wow, JOan, these look fantastic. I am a huge fan of calamari, but can’t always find the small bodies to stuff–sometimes, but not always (I live in the mountains of Mexico…)–but when I next see them, I will definitely try this recipe. It has so many flavors that I love. Good tip about the stewing as well–most of us have had tough calamari at some point!
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..New Orleans-Style Barbecue ShrimpMy Profile

4. Ben says:

Yummy! Stuffed calamari just sound delicious!

5. Marie says:

I love the second photo with the pan, makes you want to dive right in!
    Marie recently posted..Winter Vegetable TorteMy Profile

I always love to see new recipes for stuffed calamari It is one of lifes pleasures.

I love stuffed calamari and the raisins remind me of Constantinople cuisine.
    Peter recently posted..Spinach-Stuffed Flounder on Braised LentilsMy Profile

8. Beautiful joan…I think I’ll wait till the weather cools a bit. I especially love the stuffing with the use of raisins.
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Making the “classics”-Veal SchnitzelMy Profile

9. Penny says:

Not something I have tried, but hey, sounds excellent. Thanks Joan.

Oh Joan, this sounds so tasty! We love calamari.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..Why deep-fry a turkey?My Profile

11. Jonny says:

that’s really the key, isn’t it? Cooking the rubberiness out of the squid to make it silken and melting. We ate out (hooray, date night, the first in a very long while) at a Portuguese place in Philly a few weeks back and their stewed was superb. Tons of flavor, but the texture was the alluring thing. This one is bookmarked for a dinner chez nous very soon.