Nom Nom Shrimp with Bok Choy Salad and Fried Noodles

January 12, 2012 by Joan Nova in Asian, Finishing Touches, Pasta, Salads, Seafood | 19 Comments

‘Nom Nom’ is the popular term signifying the sound made when someone is eating or chewing something and really enjoying it.

I love Asian fusion. To me that means Pacific Rim flavors with a decidedly Californian influence. A lot of freshness, no heavy sauces laden with corn starch and a little innovation.

Sesame oil, rice vinegar and mirin marry especially well. The resultant combination is sweet, acidy and nutty.

I always add cilantro and scallions for additional freshness and spice. It makes my palate do a happy dance.

Other ingredients I sometimes use are soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, garlic or nuts, but not this time.

This is a fairly simple, straightforward dish.

As always, I encourage readers to cook to their palates and their imagination.

4.0 from 1 reviews

Nom Nom Shrimp with Bok Choy Salad and Fried Noodles

Ingredients
  • jumbo shrimp
  • marinade: mirin, siracha and sesame oil
  • sesame seeds
  • shitake mushroom
  • baby bok choy
  • scallions
  • cilantro
  • noodles
  • rice wine vinegar with chili flakes
How To
  1. Marinate the shrimp in mirin, siracha and sesame oil.
  2. Sprinkle sesame seeds.
  3. Add ½ chopped scallion.
  4. Remove from marinade and fry on high heat to get nice sear.
  5. Remove from pan and set aside.
  6. Toss sliced shitake, noodles, cilantro and ½ scallion with any marinade left and then fry in same oil as shrimp till noodles crisp and turn brown.
  7. Slice bok choy.
  8. Dress with rice vinegar and a drizzle of sesame oil.
  9. Top with shrimp, mushrooms and crispy noodles.

On a dish like this, I always like a finishing touch of some kind of crunch. That’s when I got the idea to fry the thin noodles.

If you try this, I dare you not to say ‘nom nom’. :)

Here’s a link to several dozen Asian-inspired dishes I’ve shared on FOODalogue.

I love the name of this dish! With ingredients as light and refreshing as these, I don’t think you can go wrong.

It seems that it has been Asian fusion in the blogosphere this week. We must all be thinking healthy thoughts:D

3. What a lovely, straightforward recipe. Great name as well! You may have inspired my lunch.
    Victoria Challalncin recently posted..Pirate Surprise and Caribbean Jerk ChickenMy Profile

4. Buela says:

nom, nom, nom and then “sum”
    beautifully light and fragrant and I can almost taste it !

5. Really a great dish..light and beautifly plated. Makes good for a little dinner party this Saturday.

We like the same flavors! Well described. GREG
    sippitysup recently posted..Root-A-Toot-Toot-A-Baga: Rutabaga PureeMy Profile

7. amelia says:

Happy new year Joan: I hope 2012 keeps you as creative as ever!
    amelia recently posted..Photo Friday (#5)My Profile

8. These are beautiful Joan and your presentation is spectacular. Love, love, love Asian sesame oil.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Chicken Scarpariello RecipeMy Profile

9. Beautiful flavours and very inspiring! I have all those ingredients in the pantry and fridge!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Vanilla “submarine”My Profile

10. Eleanor Hoh says:

Gorgeous! Always love your Asian fusion dishes and this is no exception!
    Eleanor Hoh recently posted..Sakaya Kitchen, Midtown MiamiMy Profile

11. Ben says:

Those are some huge shrimp! I love Asian fusion too. I hope you’re having a great beginning of 2012 :)

12. YUM! Hold the hot sauce for me… but the recipe without it would be smashing. Such lovely flavours – and the shrimp are beauties!
    V

13. Colleen says:

I really want to try this kind of Asian cuisine..I love your presentation it looks beautiful..

14. Just the flavors Junior and I love, the shrimp is gorgeous and loving the fried noodles here!

15. You got that right Joan – Best name ever Nom, Nom and truer wods cannot be said about this dish! I could nom nom my way to an empty plate right now!

chow :) Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

16. This is my kind of comfort food. I love these flavors with shrimp, and the bok choy and crispy noodles are perfect with it!
    lisaiscooking recently posted..Broccoli with Burrata, Pine Nuts, and Warm VinaigretteMy Profile

17. Nom Nom to both the photos and the recipes. Have a wonderful 2012 (a bit late)…but lots of love