Chicken, Cherries and Vermouth

January 24, 2012 by Joan Nova in Poultry, Sauce | 18 Comments

I’m not a big fan of sauced dishes, generally preferring to keep flavors distinct and unmuddled. But, like everything else, there are exceptions. I totally ❤❤❤-ed this!

The How and Why
First, the why. A while ago, I bought a bag of frozen dark sweet cherries. It was an impulse purchase for which I had no specific plan. Time went by. It bugged me every time I opened the freezer until one day when I decided to do something about it.

Now the How.
I marinated the cherries in Vermouth for several hours, but I wasn’t sure if I would get the desired result because when I went to my liquor cabinet for Sweet Italian Vermouth, I didn’t have any. I went with what I had, a dry white Vermouth. So to remedy the lack of sweetness, I decided to add some carrots and sweet onion to the mix.

Once the chicken was ready (cleaned, trimmed, brushed with olive oil and seasoned), I placed it under the broiler for about 10 minutes, then poured everything over the top and switched the oven to 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

I had no idea how this was going to turn out.

After about 30 minutes, it was smelling really good and I started to get excited.

I served it over saffron-flavored rice.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Cherries and Vermouth Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cherries
  • 1 cup Italian Vermouth
  • ½ sweet onion sliced
  • 3 small carrots cut
  • dash of cinnamon
  • splash of balsamic syrup
  • 1 pat butter
How To
  1. When chicken is cooked, remove half the vegetables, cherries and liquid.
  2. Use an immersion blender to smooth out and make sauce, leaving it a little chunky.
  3. Balance with a pat of butter, dash of cinnamon and a splash of balsamic syrup.
  4. Reduce stove top.
Notes
1. What a happy surprise! The sauce totally worked even without the Sweet Vermouth. 2. It's a "keeper" and would go well with pork or lamb and, of course, any other type of poultry.

Note: FOODalogue suggests this recipe as a guide to food pairings and techniques to be experimented with…in your own kitchen…to your own spice and taste levels…and to your preferred portion sizes.

1. How simple yet delicious! I do love sauces and this one sounds wonderful.
    the wicked noodle recently posted..the speedy sneaky chef {giveaway & recipe}My Profile

This recipe strikes me as very “Joan”…totally creative and unexpected. This is cooking outside the box, and I’m sure I’d enjoy every mouthful.
    Katie recently posted..Red Wine and Watermelon: A Deadly Mix?My Profile

3. Angela says:

Ciao Joan, if I were you, I would have been excited too! Never heard about cherry sauce like this, it sounds good!

4. Arlene says:

That looks positively decadent. I love cherries and remember the ones my grandmother used to “pickle” in brandy.
    Arlene recently posted..Mushroom LasagnaMy Profile

I can see plenty to get excited about with a lovely cherry sauce Joan!

6. Personally I’m a big sauce person. This looks fantastic Joan.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Dreaming of the South of France and Seafood StewMy Profile

7. I love the way this dish came together–that’s the way I cook when not giving classes. And I would love anything marinated in vermouth–probably even cardboard! Lovely recipe. Thanks for sharing
    Flavors of the Sun recently posted..New Orleans-Style Barbecue ShrimpMy Profile

8. liz says:

Wow! The picture says it all.

9. Joan says:

Glad everyone likes it. It really was a spur-of-the-moment lucky event when everything just worked!

10. Just a lovely dish. I always look for interesting ways to do chicken. I like cooking with vermouth too.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Beautiful Poached EggsMy Profile

11. Dorothy says:

I never would have thought onions and cherries. But I’m not creative like you. Looks delicious.

12. Ben says:

I love this kind of food, adventurous that end up being delicious!

13. Nuria says:

What a great dish!!! I just happen to have cherries and berries and …rries in my fridge that I bought yesterday. The vermouth will be Spanish… but I bet there’s not much of a difference :D
    Thanks for the idea.
    Nuria recently posted..Roquefort lollipops with grapes and pistachiosMy Profile

14. This dish sounds so awesome, what a great way to use those cherries in a main dish. Bold and brilliant creativity.

15. This recipe looks amazing! The ingredients I’m sure work beautifully together.

16. mjskit says:

Very ingenious! It sounds and looks delicious as well as healthy!
    mjskit recently posted..Huevos RancherosMy Profile

Nice overhead shot and I do like sauces but not oversauced.
    Peter recently posted..Spinach-Stuffed Flounder on Braised LentilsMy Profile