A Badly Fried Egg is Better than Swordfish Sausage

November 11, 2011 by Joan Nova in Eggs, Seafood | 15 Comments

Swordfish sausage sounds so interesting. It looks so pretty. But does it pass the taste test?

No, not really…but let’s go back a bit, shall we?

It’s tough to find inspiration for dinner  when you shop very soon after eating lunch as I did the other day at an upscale Italian specialty market in Boca Raton.

We’re lucky to have a few ‘shops’ like this in my area. They carry produce, prepared foods, specialty items from Italy, a bakery, cheese counter, butcher, and a large fish counter.

I wandered around with a hand basket but because I had just eaten nothing appealed to me. I was about to give up and leave and then I spotted the swordfish sausage. It seemed to fill the bill…unique, light and could be the lynchpin for a healthy dinner. The fish monger told me it was just the fish with a few herbs.

Hours passed (and so did my lunch) so I started to prepare dinner. I decided to treat the sausage as I would an Italian pork sausage…baked in the oven with red and green peppers, onions, garlic, and a few slivers of potato.

I plated, took my blog photos (I envisioned a different message) and then I sat down with a glass of wine. #FAIL. I took one or two bites. It was dry and somewhat tasteless. I somehow think I subconsciously knew it would be…

When I did party catering years ago in New York, I learned that you have to be able to think ‘standing on one foot'; that is to say, you’ve got to be able to pull Plan B out of a hat…and quickly!

I wasn’t going to let those delicious peppers, onion and potato mix go to waste though, sadly, that $4 sausage went into the pail. My Plan B was a quickly (obviously too quickly) fried egg.

But, I’m here to tell you that even a badly fried egg is better than swordfish sausage. :)

On another front.

You know those meat and fish counters that offer ‘seasoned’ or ‘prepared-ready-to-cook’ cuts (think stuffed chicken breasts, steak pinwheels, etc.)? I often wonder if they do that for the convenience of the customers, as a marketing tool or as a last ditch effort to sell something that should have been sold a day or two before.

I never buy uncooked prepared food for that reason and, equally, because I want to control the spices, herbs and stuffings.

Plus…whatever happened to the bacterial warnings about not stuffing raw meat and letting it sit?

I’m with you about not buying those prepared meats, although in saying that Costco has a stuffed salmon that I love. It is too bad the swordfish sausage did not meet your expectations, perhaps there is a homemade swordfish patty in your future.

2. Susan says:

How disappointing. I wonder if it would be better if you made the sausage yourself, and maybe added some pork fat (sure, it wouldn’t be as healthy, but it might be tastier). I do love eggs and peppers…your plan b looks good!

Oh well! Can’t win ‘em all. ;)
    Katie recently posted..Bathing Regulations — Mar del Plata, Argentina [1888]My Profile

4. I must say that the swordfish sausages sounds divine. Quite inspired. Don’t you just hate it when you get sucked in and are then so disappointed? But your rescue with the fried egg shows an understated mark of culinary genius. Great idea! And as I always try to teach the Mexican cooks in my classes, learning how to rescue a dish is an important part of the art of cooking.
    Victoria Challalncin recently posted..Fun with PotstickersMy Profile

I won’t tell you what happened to me when I bought seafood sausages…I am planning in the near future to make my own.
    norma recently posted..Ñoquis Argentine Style + Vegetarian SauceMy Profile

6. Fried egg works for me on most occasions Joan
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Home-made candied peel to give or to keepMy Profile

7. Nuria says:

Que pena… I’ve never seen fish sausages here. Well, un huevo frito is always a great resource :D.
    Nuria recently posted..Stew Lentils with Cod and PotatoesMy Profile

8. Oh Joan, you were brave. The idea of sausage is not that appealing to me to begin with. It has to be great from a butcher I trust. The idea of fish sausage is just UGH! However, love your save. Eggs do save the day or night. Like you I never buy prepared uncooked food. It grosses me out. I want food that has had minimal hands touching thank you very much and I’ll put my own seasonings. Love your authenticity.
    angela@spinachtiger recently posted..Butter Pecan Oatmeal Spelt Granola BarsMy Profile

9. I adore your point of view and the way u made a case & point with the fried egg Joan. LOVE IT! Hate that you hated the swordfish sausage but full marks for being adventurous. We live & learn eh?

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..Warm Squid Salad with Edamame and Bell PeppersMy Profile

Great title.
    Lori Lynn recently posted..All GREEN Grilled Zucchini TacosMy Profile

One thing I do not buy is the cooked shrimp. I always think they cook it up on the last possible date then try to sell it. My kids look at all that prepped food because it looks so pretty. They are told no each time- I buy the ingredients and we make it fresh. Too bad about the sausage, but a great rescue!
    Robin Sue recently posted..Baked Cinnamon Roll PancakesMy Profile

12. Hilarious. The egg to the rescue – again. It is just the perfect food, isn’t it? You are far more adventurous than me, Joan. Swordfish sausage would have never made it into my bag in the first place. I am not a fish cake fan unless I make them myself… and then, I fail.
    V
    A Canadian Foodie recently posted..Assisi with Anne Robichaud, Lunch at Enoteca Properzio in Spello with Roberto Angelini, and Mostoccioli!My Profile

13. Jonny says:

The idea of fish sausage does strange things to my face – makes me want to turn my mouth inside out. Somethings were meant to be stuffed inside casings, others not so much. Bravo for being adventurous, but it would have been straight to the egg for me!