What’s for Lunch? Warm Mozzarella Bruschetta with Sauteed Mushrooms

October 28, 2011 by Joan Nova in 1-2-3 Quick + Easy Vegetable Meals, Bread, Pizza, Flatbreads, Lunch, Recipe Development, Vegetables | 13 Comments

If you have bread (preferably a good quality Italian or artisanal variety) and some leftovers, you have lunch!

Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.

That’s the conventional wisdom but my appetite (custom?) is in reverse. I eat a light breakfast and lunch. Dinner is a full meal accompanied by wine!

The only thing that’s a given with breakfast is that I’m going to have a cup of black coffee; other than that, I vary it from day-to-day. One day it’s eggs, another oatmeal or a wasa cracker with peanut butter and blueberries, etc.

Lunch, too, varies and I often try to make use of leftovers like the bruschetta featured here.

Warm Mozzarella Bruschetta with Sauteed Mushrooms

Ingredients
  • 1 pint baby bella mushrooms sliced
  • 1 piece of fennel thinly sliced
  • 1 small clove garlic minced
  • ¼ onion finely minced
  • olive oil
  • splash white wine
  • 1 pat butter
  • fresh rosemary minced
  • a couple of slices of fresh mozzarella
  • Italian bread sliced on diagonal
  • porcini salt
  • coarse salt
  • black pepper
How To
  1. Saute mushrooms, onion, fennel, and garlic in olive oil.
  2. Add a sprinkle of coarse salt + black pepper.
  3. Add minced rosemary.
  4. Splash white wine and reduce.
  5. Finish mushrooms with a pat of butter, a sprinkle of porcini salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  6. Toast bread under broiler in oven on one side.
  7. Turn and add slice of fresh mozzarella.
  8. Turn off oven so cheese warms but doesn't melt like pizza.
  9. Top with hot mushrooms which will keep cheese warm.

I find an open-faced sandwich with leftover vegetables so much more interesting than a deli sandwich.

See other bruschettas/crostini featuring brussel sprouts, trio with broccoli rabe, white beans, eggplant and cauliflower.

1. Can never say no to bruschetta…especially with these gorgeous toppings.
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Dried Fig TorteMy Profile

2. celia says:

Joan, it’s Sunday morning here, and I have leftover ciabatta and mushrooms in the fridge. Time for breakfast! Thanks! :)

I’m definitely in Joan. With all of the different mushrooms in the market now imagine the possibilities!
    bellini recently posted..Game Changers French Toast with Berry ButterMy Profile

4. Can never say no to fried bread and with topping like that, who am I to resist?

Will I see you at the foodbuzz conference? :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors
    Devaki @ weavethousandflavors recently posted..‘I Like Bugs’ Spidery Cupcakes for HalloweenMy Profile

5. Marie says:

Joan, That looks divine!

6. Hotly Spiced says:

That looks great. I love mushrooms and could eat them at any time of the day. They make a great meal.

Bread, cheese and a topping…how can you go wrong. Phil would love this…
    norma recently posted..Lamb Meatballs + Eggplant StewMy Profile

8. Ivy says:

Rosemary, garlic and mushrooms are a perfect match and love them. This is a wonderful appetizer or mezes as we call it in Greeze, perfect for a glass of wine or ouzo.

9. Gera says:

It’s hard for me to accomplish that proverb; in general I do the opposite :)

Really adorable that bruschetta with mozzarella and mushrooms!

Cheers,

Gera
    Gera recently posted..Commentluv Plugin Premium GiveawayMy Profile

10. Rosa says:

That bruschetta looks so scrumptious! What an awesome combination. Perfect.

Cheers,

Rosa

“I know many people eat the same thing day-in and day-out for breakfast and lunch. Not me!”

I couldn’t agree more, Joan! I need to mix it up. I’m not actually a huge fan of mushrooms, but I must admit that this bruschetta is calling my name.
    Katie recently posted..The Faro Quequén Turns 90My Profile

12. Christine says:

Hey Foodies, Joan’s Bruschetta recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/622?source=blog

1. Spanish Wine says:

[…] tapas style plates; Paella, Serrano Ham, Chorizo, Tortilla (Spanish Omelet) or Rotisserie Chicken. Click here for the recipe of the tapas pictured above from […]