Potluck: So FL Foodie Style

August 1, 2011 by Joan Nova in Events, Florida, Food Challenge | 22 Comments

This is NOT your “no booze, covered dish, church basement, kids-running-around” kind of potluck. No way, Jóse! This is a high-in-the-sky chic penthouse in the trendiest part of Miami.It’s foodies bringing it…literally and figuratively. This is the South Florida Foodies Potluck!

The party was so visually exciting. It engaged all my senses and emotions and I went crazy with photos. I took 200!

…200 of the worst, unfocused, unimaginative photos I’ve ever taken. It’s back to Photography 101 for me.

The recipe for success:

It starts with our ‘coordinator extraordinaire’, Maude (aka Diva, @4theloveoffood) and Jason, the owner of this spectacular penthouse space in Midtown Miami…

with gorgeous views from a wraparound terrace.

Add in one large dose of passionate, food-obsessed, social media-savvy, fun-loving, generous people (capped at 40)

….who arrived laden down with bundles of food, fry-o-lators, slowcookers and an amazing array of wines and specialty drinks like strawberry + basil caprinhas, boozed-up bubble tea, Bloody Mary with spam skewers, aged rums, tequilas, Japanese whiskey…and many more!

The menu: “Avant Garde” was the suggested theme. Say no more when it comes to the food-centric! Some people went way outside the proverbial box! I can’t remember everything that was served (not all the food and certainly not all the drinks), but I’d love to give you a sampling.

Appetizers took us from bacon-wrapped Easter peeps (yup! I thought it was a joke, but lots of people ate them!) There was a wide assortment of spreads, dips, and other tempting and tasty morsels — and one of our foodies even went molecular on us with pbj bites and basil-bead stuffed tomatoes.

A few ‘avant garde’ standouts were the foie gras stuffed beignets with fig jam,

the uni mousse wonton wrapped cones,

delicious and spicy pork belly nachos served with Aztec’s Mark (1.5oz Bourbon, .75oz Dark Creme de Cacao, .5oz lemon juice, dash of bitters, 3 drops Tabasco. Shake with ice, serve over ice with a lemon twist.),

and a Norwegian beef terrine which may not be avant garde but it was new to me.

Many dishes were paired with specialty cocktails served in little shot glasses.

We had 3 varieties of soup: ramen noodles + homemade bacon; sweet corn summer soup with grilled shrimp pincho; and a white bean shot with black truffle oil and bacon dust.

The Mains. A beautiful ceviche with edible orchids (it was like having a lettuce cup); beef tenderloin with gorgonzola sauce; spicy Hoisin pork with pineapple salsa; Thai savory pork ribs served with green papaya salad and sticky rice; Greek pastistsio and a very unique surf + turf with teeny crabs and beef on wasabi mashed potatoes and seaweed.

There were sides…spicy potatoes with harissa; rice and vegetable salads and a savory ‘greens + beans’ cupcake that I made (recipe to follow in another post).

I know many of you are waiting for dessert. Another molecular creation was coconut soup (with coffee and almond gelatin cubes);

Bourbon brownies with bacon crunch served with sweet tea bourbon cocktail;
and rum-infused chocolate Tres Leches were just some of the choices.

But, I think everyone’s favorite was the Nobu Cigars (dark chocolate cookie cigars filled with Milk Chocolate Miso Mousse) and served with Whisky Cappuccino made with Yamazaki Japanese 12-yr-old  single malt whisky foam and finished with pulverized shiso.

So cleverly presented!

And if you want to see more, here’s a video Maude made. (Warning: if you’re opening it in the office, there’s music…good music!)

1. Londa says:

Great Job Joan!!

2. Maude Eaton says:

This one goes into the memory books! What a fantastic group of food lovers.
    Joan, you always have a special way of capturing the moments. Thank you xox

3. Arlene says:

What an incredible time you must have had! Just what my sleepy little town needs, though we don’t have a view to rival this one. Thanks for taking me there.

4. Jax says:

Wonderful write-up, Joan! It beautifully summed up and extraordinary day… :D

5. Eleanor Hoh (wokstar) says:

La, la, la, this was such an engaging & fun post. I was so impressed with everyone’s efforts. Love surprises at pot luck parties. Nice seeing you again.

Apparently, my invitation to the potluck got lost in the mail! ;)

The food was so exciting and creative. I think I “virtually” gained about five pounds looking at all the good eats in this post.

7. Jacqueline says:

Sounds like some party Joan and the food is so beautifully presented :)

What an amazing event Joan. I wish I knew so many foodies in this area to get a party this together.

9. Chef Dennis says:

It looks like you had such a great time, I wish I could have been there! Thanks for sharing it with us!

10. and once again you nailed the photos! great job Joan

No wonder you were in a hurry to write this post. What a wonderful time…me wish was there.

12. Awesome write up Joan! It was great seeing you on Saturday!

13. Girl! I can’t wait to join you with this group. The food looks amazing and best of all it looks like a fun group.

Patricia

14. connie says:

Unbelievable experience – great mixes of food and people. Good job!!

15. What a party Joan. Looks like everyone had a great time. What a terrific idea to get together with friends and enjoy lots of fabulous food. Any excuse to eat…

16. Oh Joan! What can I say? The setting, the food, the people and the cocktails! All look delicious…I bet you had a ball!

17. Wow what a fun party and in Miami! Your array of food is so over the top. What was your favorite?

18. Woww! You do know how to party !!! This is what I don’t like about being here in France..I feel lonely!!!! sniff sniff
    I want to go to Florida!!!!

19. Sippitysup says:

OMG! What a party. GREG

20. Oh my goodness. I envy this group and the food. I’m not sure what we would get here putting bloggers together. Great video. So happy.

21. Bren says:

girl i don’t eat shrimp, but those soups look great. and you can tell the condo owner I’ll come be his private chef any day of the week!

1. […] s1); })(); TweetI was challenged to bring an ‘avant-garde side dish’ to the foodie potluck I wrote about earlier this week. And it had to serve 40 people! I knew I wanted to create something […]