Floribbean Snapper

June 11, 2011 by Joan Nova in Fish/Seafood, Florida, Nuevo Latino, Recipe Development, Techniques | 13 Comments

Floribbean is synonymous with ‘new world cuisine’. It’s fusion fare…melding fresh and local ingredients with flavors of the melting pot that has become South Florida. This includes many Latin and South American countries, Caribbean Islands and a bit of Asia thrown in the mix.

For this dish, I purchased a locally-caught yellowtail snapper. The citrus marinade, black bean salsa and Chinese spinach tie it all together for a Floribbean experience.

I used the simple marinade for the fish as well as a dressing for the black bean salsa.

Floribbean Snapper

Ingredients

• snapper
  • whole lemon + zest
  • whole lime + zest
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • splash hot sauce
  • pinch salt
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • rinsed black beans
  • scallion chopped
  • fresh tomato chopped
  • cilantro minced
  1. For marinade and black bean dressing: Zest lemon and lime and reserve to toss in at end.
  2. Blend juice of whole lemon and lime with garlic, hot sauce, evoo and pinch of salt.
  3. Marinate fish for about 15 minutes.
  4. Pan sear in hot pan on one side and finish in the oven.
  5. For black beans: Rinse black beans.
  6. Add chopped grape tomato, scallion and cilantro.
  7. Mix with citrus marinade.
  8. Sauté Chinese spinach.

I’d never seen Chinese spinach in the market before, but thought I’d give it a shot. I cooked them whole in chicken broth till the stems were tender. I liked it…although it was a little stronger (bitter?) than regular spinach and a wee bit slimy.

1. Another healthy looking dish that could make it to any dinner party. I love that word “floribian.”

Now there’s a new one..Floribbean! Love fish and we get our snappers from down there…prefer whole of course…stare at the beasty when I eat it!

A new word for me Joan…Floribbean. Your fish not only looks good for you but packed wih a flavour punch.

4. First off I love the word-”floribbean”…it has a nice ring to it! Love the snapper Joan and how you “mixed it up” yet again!
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..SpetsofaiMy Profile

5. We get snapper here in the Middle East – looks like a great recipe to add to my collection.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Wine drinking in classMy Profile

I like that new word! The entire meal is plated so beautifully on that Chinese Spinach- well done!
    Robin Sue recently posted..Look What Happened When Mom Took Away Cereal and Store-Bought CookiesMy Profile

Floribbean…me gusta

The dish is exceptional…so simple…

YAY for Floribbean! Love the colors!
    Especially like your overhead shot Joan.

9. Dewi says:

Beautiful and delicious as always!

10. Great meal-red snapper always gets my vote. Love the touch with the black beans.

11. Anamaris says:

I like the idea of Floribbean and I LOVE the concept of this fish! I could eat fish everyday.

Floribbean…well, you learn something new every day! I don’t think I’ve ever tried the combination of black beans with fish – the fusion flavors in this dish are exciting.

13. jaden says:

oooh wow, look at those colors of this dish! love Floribbean cuisine – I think nearly every single restaurant worth going to near my house is Floribbean style, even though some won’t admit it ;-)