Veracruz Corn from Wisteria Lane

May 31, 2011 by Joan Nova in Mexican + Southwestern, Vegetables | 11 Comments

Cooking with ‘the oldies’, Wisteria Lane*, Veracruz Corn, a celebrity, New York, and FOODalogue…curious?

But, first, an observation.

As I see it, cooking has 3 components: skill, visual, taste.

Skill is the actual process of prepping the food; visual, the presentation and serving; and taste, of course, is the “proof of the pudding”, eating (hopefully with gusto). A sub-component of  ’skill’ is either following instructions or creating a new recipe. As many readers know, I’m not much of a recipe follower because my personal kick comes from the creating component.

When I was in NY recently, I asked my friend, Carolyn, what I could do to help her prepare the menu for a dinner party she was throwing that evening. She handed me a celebrity cookbook and asked me to make Veracruz Corn.

I discovered this is a recipe worth following (with a few exceptions). It was so good, I knew I’d want to make it again — and to share it with all of you. Get the recipe online or get the book on Amazon.

The first stage of assembly: the sauteed corn, jalapenos, red onion and fried tortillas.

Layering in the aioli and Mexican cheese before popping it in the oven.

Ready to be served.

Can you say creamy, crunchy, cheesy, spicy goodness?

The FOODalogue variations: Instead of making aioli, we folded the chipolte/adobo sauce into mayonnaise. We also went lighter on the jalapeno and chipolte – and, trust us, it had plenty of heat.

To Carolyn: Thanks for getting me to ‘go by the book’. And for a great time!

Oh, and about cooking with ‘the oldies’…did you see that cute tabletop jukebox. We rock n’ rolled while we chopped and slopped. :)

*Wisteria Lane is the fictional name of a street where the characters of the American drama television series Desperate Housewives live. Eva Longoria is one of the stars.

This does sound like an amazing dish Joan. I have bookmarked it twice:D

2. Arlene says:

There’s been such a rash of celebrity cookbooks lately and some from the most unlikely sources. With the heat turned down, this does look and sound like something I could really lay into.
    Arlene recently posted..PASTA WITH OLIVES- SALAMI- ARTICHOKES- AND MOZZARELLAMy Profile

I live for creamy, crunchy, cheesy, spicy goodness, Joan. Please pass the dish of Veracruz corn!
    Katie recently posted..Vote for Your Favorite Argentine Recipe!My Profile

4. Lidia Lipstick says:

Joan, you are correct. This dish was delish!!!!

Readers beware. We cut way down on the jalepeno and the minced chipotle and it was still smokin hot!!!!!!

It was delicious and yes it had some heat. It’s always a good time when you come and visit.

6. Mmmmmm! I love this…especially the spicy flavours and gooey goodness. Go Eva (and Joan & co!)
    Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul recently posted..Cheese SouffléMy Profile

7. Sounds like you had a lot of fun – I don’t cook with other people enough.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Perfecting pasta and cooking from a veg boxMy Profile

8. I love Eva Longoria. She is one of the few skinny girls who lets us know she loves food, and she cooks.If this is any indication of the book, I might have to get it.

9. Nuria says:

I love the Mujeres Desesperadas (our title here). But didn’t know Eva wrote a cook book. The dish looks awesome and so complete!
    Nuria recently posted..Rolled cucumber salad FlickrMy Profile

The dish looks fabulous. Really like the tortilla strips with the corn.

11. rebecca says:

oh how fun enjoy your travels we also live to travel