Candied Gremolata

May 28, 2011 by Joan Nova in Condiments, Finishing Touches, Italian, Recipe Development, Uncategorized | 17 Comments

Gremolata is an Italian condiment traditionally made from minced parsley, lemon zest and garlic. Of course, there are always variations…especially in the FOODalogue kitchen.

Halibut was on the menu for dinner. With spinach. B-o-r-i-n-g and hardly worthy of a post.

It needed pizzaz to make it interesting for me and, ultimately, you!

So I thought of gremolata, but that didn’t quite do it until I took it a step further and decided to candy it. I know, I know…FOODalogue rarely uses sugar but I said I wanted ‘pizzaz’. And, GUESS WHAT? I may be the first person in the universe to try this. A google search for candied gremolata produced no results!

The fish was pan-seared, finished in the oven and placed over sauteed spinach.

[amd-recipeseo-recipe:16]

*I used turbinado sugar.

GENIUS, if I may say so myself…!

I’d say so too Joan! Very innovative dish. I happen to have some BC halibut in the freezer.

2. Simply amazing dish with fresh ingredients. The gremolata really added some zip to this meal. Great post.

3. redkathy says:

Genius is right! Only thing left to do is to get the patent.

Happy Memorial Day Joan
    redkathy recently posted..Three Cheese Loaded Potato and Ground Beef CasseroleMy Profile

4. Wow Joan – your culinary creativity knows no bounds. Stunning.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..Souffle suspense – Come Dine With Me Dubai part 3My Profile

You kicked with this dish. Stunning presentation.
    norma recently posted..Mami’s Carne Guisada – Puerto Rican Beef StewMy Profile

6. Dorothy says:

You are an artist in the kitchen.

7. Hey, you took a boring meal and made it exceptional. If only restaurants cooked this good. I love the low carb choice too.

8. I agree with Dorothy…you are definitely an artist in the kitchen! This is genius Joan…and a nice way to spice up an ordinary meal.

That fish dish looks so enticing. The colors just pop! Nothing boring here, Joan.
    Katie recently posted..Matambre Arrollado Argentine Rolled Stuffed Flank SteakMy Profile

10. Just found you through Travel Blogroll – seems we share a lot of the same interests and both blog about it! I’ve subscribed to your feed and look forward to your upcoming posts and travels!
    Cooking with Michele recently posted..“What’s in the Pantry” PastaMy Profile

11. Acky says:

Ciao Joan, you’re always so cute! I like your innovative gremolada! Must be interesting with fish, cause gremolada is used mostly for meat in Milan (ossobuco!). Kisses

12. Nuria says:

Ha ha, bravo to your creativity!!!! I would love to try it :D. Marchando una gremolata para España ;D
    Nuria recently posted..Vegetable sandwich with salmon and egg FlickrMy Profile

13. Candied Gremolata is a terrific idea, very unique and a great way to elevate the halibut for sure! nice!

14. Anamaris says:

Oh my! What have you done??!!! I want that bite right on the right hand corner, please. Pretty please!

I love the way this sounds even more than I love the way it looks!
    Anamaris recently posted..Out &amp About- Buenos AiresMy Profile

15. Excellent! I think the tomatoes lend themselves very well to a little added sweetness. Definitely adds interest to that fish dish~
    tasteofbeirut recently posted..Lychee and labneh frozen yogurtMy Profile

16. I like your variation on theme for this classic!