I’ve been carb-watching for the past couple of weeks. No pasta, rice, fruit or wine…and I’m not even grouchy. Imagine that. In fact, like Charlie, I’m WINNING (duh)!
I must say though it’s really shaken things up in the FOODalogue kitchen. Whereas before my meals were healthy and balanced (albeit whole grain + vegetable-heavy), nowadays I’m kissing up to protein. Surprisingly (or not), I’ve come up with some interesting new dishes. Here’s one.
Mexican Turkey Legs + Southern Greens
- turkey legs
- dry seasonings: coarse salt, cumin, chipolte, chili powder, oregano
- fresh orange, zest + juice
- collard greens, deveined
- sweet onion, sliced thinly
- crumbled bacon
- sweet mini peppers
- garlic, chopped
- mushrooms, sliced
- chicken broth
- olive oil
- Rub turkey legs with olive oil, dry seasonings and orange zest.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Brown legs in olive oil in deep pan.
- Add onions, bacon, peppers, garlic, parsley and mushrooms.
- Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook low for about an hour.
- Add collard greens, deveined and chiffonaded.
- Cover and cook till tender (about 30 minutes)
Finishing Touch: A squeeze of fresh orange juice and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
NOTE: Some recipes found on FOODalogue are offered without ingredient quantities. They're meant as a guide to food pairings and techniques to be experimented with … in your own kitchen … to your own spice and taste levels … to your preferred portion sizes … and to however many people you’re cooking for.
A perfect meal has multiple levels of flavor and textures, bright colors and tastes, and healthy(ish) choices. It's all about enjoyment. Enjoy the process, the presentation and the just rewards...eating!