MexicanTurkey Legs + Southern Greens

April 7, 2011 by Joan Nova in Mexican + Southwestern, Poultry, Recipe Development | 18 Comments

I’ve been carb-watching for the past couple of weeks. No pasta, rice, fruit or wine…and I’m not even grouchy. :) Imagine that. In fact, like Charlie, I’m WINNING (duh)!

I must say though it’s really shaken things up in the FOODalogue kitchen. Whereas before my meals were healthy and balanced (albeit whole grain + vegetable-heavy), nowadays I’m kissing up to protein. Surprisingly (or not), I’ve come up with some interesting new dishes. Here’s one.

Mexican Turkey Legs + Southern Greens

Ingredients

• turkey legs
  • dry seasonings: coarse salt, cumin, chipolte, chili powder, oregano
  • fresh orange, zest + juice
  • collard greens, deveined
  • sweet onion, sliced thinly
  • crumbled bacon
  • sweet mini peppers
  • garlic, chopped
  • parsley
  • mushrooms, sliced
  • chicken broth
  • olive oil
  1. Rub turkey legs with olive oil, dry seasonings and orange zest.
  2. Let sit for 15 minutes.
  3. Brown legs in olive oil in deep pan.
  4. Add onions, bacon, peppers, garlic, parsley and mushrooms.
  5. Add chicken broth.
  6. Cover and cook low for about an hour.
  7. Add collard greens, deveined and chiffonaded.
  8. Cover and cook till tender (about 30 minutes)

Finishing Touch: A squeeze of fresh orange juice and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.

1. I watch my carbs, too…watch them as I devour them! =) I probably wouldn’t spend so much time watching them if I had these legs, though. Great flavors, great colors.

You know Joan, it just dawned on me with this post to start buying turkey legs for my teen. Chicken legs are too small and he has become quite the protein eater. Thanks for the inspiration and the very flavorful recipe- love the orange zest in this!

3. I’ve given up rice for a while and I’m trying not to eat so much other carbs. It’s been a few weeks and I have to say I’m missing my staple. I’ve been trying to supplement with extra protein, too, and that’s helped a lot. The turkey legs with collard greens looks great. I still have a whole frozen turkey in the freezer and I’ve been meaning to defrost it and cut in parts. You’ve just inspired me to do it soon with this recipe.

4. redkathy says:

Nice legs! Southern and Mexi are the perfect combo if you ask me. I like them smoke with hot n spicy collards, oh yummy!

5. Nice! I like the seasonings for the turkey legs, great flavors.

6. I was with you on all counts til the no wine :(. Great pictures!

You just gave me an idea. Next week I am going to get me some turkey legs and do a drunken thing.

You better be off that wine diet before I see you….

8. heidi leon says:

I´m also leaving behind carbs and embracing more protein for a while and I´m quite surprised how good I feel. I´m having less sugar cravings and feel more satisfied eating protein.

I´m keeping your recipe to add to my diet.

9. Fab idea. I’m no carbing also. And, this would work for my diet, which I happen to be loving. You made a turkey leg look sexy!

10. I started the Dukkan diet (French physician, protein diet) some months ago..It worked wonderfully. Now I am on third stage, so your recipe is just what I need!

11. OMG your pictures and site are amazing! I just subscribed via email so I won’t miss a post. Nice meeting you tonight I look forward to talking with you again. It’s nice that we live so close to each other. See you in the morning.

12. Maria says:

Something’s in the air … I’ve been watching carbs too. It was a much needed course of action and it’s had a good effect so far. This dish looks great. I am always looking for new ways to prepare chicken drumsticks … the kids love them roasted with garlic, olive oil and oregano but I like to play up the flavors for them every once in a while.

13. No carbs…maybe…no wine…no way! Lovely recipe – like the addition of the orange zest particularly.

I just eliminate everything white…white pototoes, white pasta and white flour eating these all in moderation. Your turkey legs are perfect Joan to add flavour into the mix.

Looks mighty tasty.
    Love the overhead shot.

16. Joan! What Great flavors, great colors…you are turning low-carb cooking a gourmet dream! :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

PS – I hope Atkins pays you a gazillion dollars to write a cookbook for them :)

17. Susie says:

So good meeting you this weekend at FBF. Looking forward to your future posts….Susie