Asian Pork Burger + Snow Pea Slaw

April 16, 2011 by Joan Nova in Asian, Low Carb, Meat, Recipe Development | 16 Comments

Here’s a little different take on a burger and slaw. It was made with not much forethought. In fact, I started out to do a stir fry and at the last minute decided I felt like having a burger so I just pushed forward. Had I taken an extra minute or two to think it through or googled for some ideas, it would have been even better.

But, come and take a look — and I’ll tell you what went right and what didn’t.

[amd-recipeseo-recipe:8]

Finishing Touch: Black beans smashed to a thick saucey paste (ketchup replacement). A dab of wasabi and sriracha spices it up.

Note: If I were to do it again, I’d put the black beans inside the burger because it was a little dry. Seems like the ‘other white meat’ is just as dry when ground. :) In fact, I might try this recipe which includes peanut butter and sour cream.

1. You made a burger chic, but I agree about fat. I’m all about fat in my ground meat, which is why I can’t do ground turkey. I actually think it’s a shame what’s been done to pork and I never ever buy a pork loin. But, I’m one of those that thinks fat is good for you (in moderation), bread is not so good.

2. The colors are fantastic! Great suggested adaptation – pork is so underrated!

3. Eleanor Hoh says:

Love concept of Asian pork burger. How about just grilling on lower heat? I’m so used to wok cooking on high heat, I forget sometimes you need to temper the heat in order to get a different result.

4. I LOVE the snow pea slaw!!! Can’t wait to try it myself. I make an Asian pork burger with miso paste which is nice. Your ponzu addition sounds great. Joan, you’re amazingly creative! Wish I could pop over for dinner sometime. Seattle too far?

Joan…you had me at “pork burger”.

Looks good to me…The slaw is really cool Joan…The pics are great.

I have to ask this. Your photos are always so nice, do you use a special camera, light, etc. I still have a point and shoot and hope to be a big girl one day and have a DSLR- saving my pennies;-)

• Joan says:

I’m so happy to hear this…I’ve really been working on learning to shoot off ‘auto’ and trying to understand light sources. I’m still with point n’ shoot (Canon S95).

It sounds delicious Joan. I would especially enjoy the snow pea slaw!!

Joan I too am getting off of the auto mode and trying the others. I have no idea what I am doing but to take any class right now would be crazy for me. Some day! My point and shoot is 7 years old and only 5 mp! It seems as though I take over 100 photos for just one post and if it is a tutorial, way more than that just to get a few good ones. I am eyeing the new little Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9 but it is too new to get any good reviews on it. The hunt continues…
    Your camera does a fantastic job- well really it’s the operator that does the fantastic job:-)

10. Joan incredible that burger – the black beans inside it seems a good delicious idea.
    This is a very tempting burger with an awesome presentation, good shots :)

Cheers,

Gera

11. What a sport you are! Snow pea slaw and all of a sudden you’ve made pork the new black! Fantastic…your fusion foods are amazing :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

12. Lola Dee says:

Looks Great, except for the fact that I gave up pork for now! Just discovered your blog through Steamy kitchen post. I read your bio, we are very much alike in many ways! Blogging has been an exercise in self discipline for me- to actually measure stuff & write it down after all these years. I too an obsessed with food, photography & love to travel, so let me know of any future trips you are planning!

1. [...] When my family and I decided to get together today to plan our excursions for an upcoming cruise to Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica, I said “I’ll make brunch.” And, I didn’t even skip a beat deciding what to make. No rush out to the market; rather, I made do with what was at hand…leftovers from my Asian Burger and Snow Pea Slaw. [...]

2. [...] Cakes **Alina , Explora Cuisine, Semolina dumplings with yogurt Joan Nova , FOODalogue, Asian Pork Burger + Snow Pea Slaw **Sandra , Sandra’s Easy Cooking, Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza with Tyson Grilled Chicken [...]