Asian Brunch with Pork + Almond Meatballs, Salt + Pepper Shrimp + Black Bean Veggies

April 17, 2011 by Joan Nova in Asian, Breakfast + Brunch, Meat, Seafood, Vegetables | 13 Comments

When my family and I decided to get together today to plan our excursions for an upcoming cruise to Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica, I said “I’ll make brunch.” And, I didn’t even skip a beat deciding what to make. No rush out to the market; rather, I made do with what was at hand…leftovers from my Asian Burger and Snow Pea Slaw.

As regular readers of FOODalogue know, I love to dabble with Asian ingredients at home. I don’t profess my recipes are an authentic representation of Asian cuisine. In fact, one of my readers recently pointed out that I mix traditional ingredients from various countries. Whatever. It sure tastes good!

Menu
Ground Pork and Almond Meatballs
Salt + Pepper Shrimp
Stir-Fried Vegetables (mostly broccoli) with black bean sauce
Marinated Asparagus

Pork + Almond Meatballs
Here they are after being rolled, refrigerated and readied for oven.

Ingredients
ground pork
egg beaten with salt, pepper, and dashes of soy sauce, fish sauce, mirin
minced garlic
chopped scallion
1 cup ground almonds; half in mix to bind, half to roll in

Baked at 375.

[Note: If I had cilantro on hand, it definitely would have been in the mix.]

Coming out of oven.

Stir fry vegetables with black bean sauce and marinated asparagus.
Black beans were pureed with minced garlic, scallion and rice vinegar and then tossed with stir fried vegetables. Asparagus were pre-marinated and pickled.

Salt + Pepper Shrimp
Shrimp were marinated in sesame oil and then quickly fried in hot pan with vegetable oil, minced garlic, scallions, and lots of salt and pepper.

And about the cruise…between bites, we decided to visit the Coba Mayan Ruins in Mexico; do a Panama City tour that includes the new and old Colonial areas and, of course, the locks and canal; in Costa Rica, we are going to split up…I could not picture myself strapped in and zip-lining on an aerial cable through the rainforest. I’ll be doing a Puerto Limon tour, including a pontoon cruise through the Tortguero Canal around the rainforest and a banana plantation visit.

Sayonara!

Brunch sounds amazing and so does your cruise Joan. I have been to Coba in Mexico. I hope you are still able to climb to the top of the pyramid. It is a very different experience than the more commercial ruins such as Chitzen Itza when you can see ancient Mayan ruins rising out of the jungle from such a vantage point.

• Joan says:

I’m sure you didn’t mean me personally…and were referring to whether it was still permitted. :) LOL

• bellini says:

Wink, yes I did mean if you are still permitted to do so. I have heard that you are not able to climb the ruins at Chitzen Itza any longer, it is not permitted.

2. What a platter and what a cruise! Unbelievable flavors and all on one plate..the pork meatballs and prawns are beckoning!

Have an excellent trip :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

3. You mean me? =) That shrimp is gorgeous! Have a wonderful, fabulous time!! Can’t wait to hear about your adventures.

4. Julia says:

Tortogero is amazing. I loved “cruising” around the canals. And zip-lining is a lot of fun!! The place I went to started out small… each “zip” got a little longer/faster than the last so it was easy to build up confidence. And you could always walk back. But I bet once you zip, you’ll want to do the whole thing! :)

Those meatballs sound fab with the almond coating. Combo #4 at Joan’s!

6. Love Asian flavors. Don’t make them often but I never miss to seek out people who know how to use them.

Patricia

I am going with those meatabolas..they sound fantastic. I have some Marcona almonds that I will use to make them.

8. These photos are truly stunning…honestly, they just leap off the page! I love the sound and look of this meal. The combination of flavors is making me drool!

9. redkathy says:

I can fit in your suitcase….

10. love the idea of including ground almonds in the meatballs! In Sicilian meatballs they add chopped pine-nuts and they are delicious.

11. I should add ground almonds to my meatballs next time!