Savor the Avenue • Delray Beach, FL

March 31, 2011 by Joan Nova in Events, Florida, Restaurant Reviews | 18 Comments

I had such a wonderful time at this event! And I couldn’t wait to share it with readers. But, days passed. I found I had so much to say that I couldn’t wrap my brain around it. And, because it was such a unique and picturesque experience, I took way too many photos and then I couldn’t decide which ones to post. I also wanted to tell you all about Delray Beach, the town that hosts this event. Oh, yes, and I kept floundering on what to title the post? Florida’s Longest Table? Street Food? Dining with 1000 Neighbors? Oh, hell, why not just go with the name of the event?!

I fear, if I waver any longer, the moment will have passed (at least for me). So, herewith…a really fabulous ‘foodie’ evening.

Atlantic Avenue is the heart of downtown Delray Beach. It pulses for about 3/4 of a  mile with restaurants, outdoor cafes, boutiques and bars. And though it’s a major east-west thoroughfare, they often close it to traffic for community events like Jazz on the Avenue and the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, but nothing is so grand as ‘Savor the Avenue’ which just celebrated its 3rd year.

16 restaurants • 185 banquet tables • 1000 guests

As far as the eye could see in either direction was one.very.long.table!

Each restaurant was free to set its own table decor – and, of course, menu. I thought ours was the most attractive with beautiful floral arrangements and a nautical tablescape motif. As night fell, we were delighted when the centerpieces lit up.

We chose the Atlantic Ocean Club…the menu was exciting, the price was right (a reasonable $55) and we had never eaten there. We were not disappointed at all. They set a festive table, the service was terrific and the meal speaks for itself as you’ll see. I look forward to returning to the restaurant.

When we arrived we saw the table was set for champagne and wine pairings but first we had a welcome cocktail made with pear brandy, ginger, and Asian pears.

Our hors d’oeuvre was a pizzette of Ipswich clams with garlic, wild oregano, garlic herb butter, preserved lemon balm and a baby stuffed clam, served with San Guiseppe Prosecco Superiore.

The appetizer course was Bar Harbor Maine crab cakes, with basil aioli and marinated tomatoes, and petit basil. Served with Rutherford Ranch Sauvignon Blanc.

Next up was the entrée of Long Island diver scallops, braised pork belly (umami!), baby vegetables and pureed parsnip, served with Lander-Jenkins Spirit Hawk Chardonnay

And, of course, there was a sweet ending: Boston cream pie, almond financier, cream filling, dark chocolate ganache and salty-milk chocolate tuille, paired with Scott Family Estate Arroyo Seco Pinot Noir.

I can’t wait for next year’s ‘Savor the Avenue’. Anyone want to join me and 999 neighbors?

1. How FUN is that?? The biggest banquet table ever! I would have wanted to table hop. Everything looks beautiful and glad you had a great time.

2. Arlene says:

I think I’m correct in noting that congratulations are in order for your blog’s wonderful mention in this month’s Saveur magazine. That was your codfish, fried peppers, saffron, and oregano sandwich wasn’t it?

This is one fantastic event Joan!!!!! This would be perfect in this area as well. I need to put a bug in someones ear!!

4. redkathy says:

We don’t have events like that over here Joan. Possibly in Naples, which is a bit too pricey of an area for my purse right now. Beautiful gallery of the event. I’m sure you had a blast.

5. Marie says:

Congrats on Saveur Mag Joan, that is so awesome for you!

What a fabulous event you went to, can I be honest and say I’m a bit jealous! ( to say the least!)

6. Liz says:

Looks like a great event!

7. I adore this idea – it’s brilliant. I can understand why you felt a bit overwhelmed about writing about it – so much to convey….but your enjoyment is evident.
    Someone in England should do this for the up and coming royal wedding celebrations (permission for things like this here in Dubai don’t make this viable).

8. connie says:

Incredible event

Next year I am there with you. I just love the end of evening lighting with my favorite color, cobalt blue lamps.

10. mary says:

And although the event sounds great it is your photography that makes it come alive for all us readers. Keep up the good work.

11. Wow that table is incredibly long! A cool event, the crabcakes look so good there!

12. christine says:

once again spectacular photos Joan!

13. Sounds like quite an event! How fun for a foodie especially to take a peek at so many chefs work and creativity!

14. Lauren Suarez-Kmiec says:

Fantastic!

Pear Brandy, Ginger & Asian Pears? ….that sounds like the makings of a meal? …pork? …salad? …dessert?

I have never seen anything like this. Oh and I love that first photo of you, I think that color on you is lovely! What a fantastic evening!

16. Joan,

I really enjoyed reading about your lovely evening, so I’m glad you pushed through all the obstacles and put it down on paper!! I myself have been overwhelmed with how to write up this past weekend at Food Blog Forum Orlando. Again..it was SO nice to meet you!!

I agree with the previous commenter that you look absolutely stunning in that first photo. I love your outfit..accessories, color and all! I am also partial to nautical themes (could it be because I live in Florida, or that I love the beach?)

Everything about your night just cries pampering!! So glad you had a wonderful evening!

1. […]  Savor the Avenue 2011 Savor the Avenue 2012 Savor the Avenue 2013 […]