Piquillo Red Rice, Jumbo Shrimp, Goya + Me

March 10, 2011 by Joan Nova in Fish/Seafood, Nuevo Latino, Product Recommendations, Recipe Development, Rice/Risotto | 15 Comments

I’ll never get an award for brand loyalty. You might say I’m commercially fickle. I fly whichever airline will get me there in the least amount of time for the least amount of dollars. I lease a car just so I can try a different manufacturer and model every 3 years. I buy whatever detergents and other staples attract my eye or are on sale. And, of course, I’m always on to the next and newest brand of anything. There are very few products that I’ve remained true to over the years — and they’re all Goya.

From the I’m-never-switching-shelf in my pantry:

L-R: (1) Hot Sauce is not all that hot and adds a hint of vinegar. Perfect touch to anything. (2) Piquillo Peppers are flawlessly formed and perfectly sweet. (3) The Black Bean Soup is seasoned better than you – or your abuela – could do. I don’t eat it as soup but rather as a bean accompaniment or base to other dishes. (4) Sazón with culantro and achiote adds flavor and color to rice, stews, meats, fish, etc.

The Plan. One day I decided to make ‘black’ rice which I thought I could color with a small container of black beans I had in the refrigerator and accompany it with marinated and grilled jumbo shrimp topped with a piquillo pepper sauce. Tasty and colorful,?

So I set a pot of rice to cook and meantime pureed the beans and made the piquillo sauce which I set aside. I folded the bean puree into the rice about 5 minutes before it was completely done and…disappointment. The rice was not ebony black as I envisioned. It was just unattractive.

Plan B: Rice goes from white to muddy to red. Who needs sauce on top? Im not really a saucy girl. So I folded the piquillo sauce into the rice and created Piquillo Red Rice which was delicious because it also had some flavor from the pureed black beans. It’s kind of reminiscent of a New Orleans dirty rice, only prettier.

Recipe: Piquillo Red Pepper Sauce

Ingredients

• 1 jar of piquillos
  • 1 plum tomato
  • 1/2 packet of Sazón with culantro + achiote
  • dash of hot sauce
  • splash of extra virgin olive oil
  • a few sprigs of parsley

Blend to emulsify.

[No compensation was received for this product endorsement. I only wish. They do not even know I exist.]

1. This dish is BEAUTIFUL!!!! It’s great that you found a brand you like, but I know what you mean…..

I am true to certain brands too. I have my Pastene Kitchen Ready Tomato sauce shipped in from the north, just got 4 cases, my coffee from a little roaster on Whidbey Island. I know we should buy local and I do for most things but there are certain items I have to have. I like the goya brand, they have a nice quality about them and some very tasty foods.

I will have to keep my eyes peeled for this brand Joan. I have no brand loyalty myself and buy what I think will taste good. Sometimes I am not always right.I love the spicy rice!!!Since Mardis Gras is on it is time to party with the taste buds!

Theose prawns are calling my name…”eat me Peter, eat me”!

5. Jessica says:

I really like this dish. I am always looking for new ways to cook my shrimp so this is fantastic and so colorful. thanks joan

As they say…”Si es Goya, tiene que ser bueno: “If it’s Goya it has to be good” and they are. This dish is perfect, why did you not make this while I was visiting…mmm..I am beginning to think you hide things from me…lol

7. Oh this is beautiful Joan and I had to restrain myself from popping one of those gorgeous prawns in my mouth!

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

8. Jonny says:

we’re huge fans of Goya too (the provisions company as well as the artist) but have not tried their piquillos yet. Must get on that horse soon. I would describe your rice as red, as in the same color as the red rice of the carolina low country which sometimes goes under the fabulous moniker of “Hoppin’ John”. The shrimp look fat and delicious too!

9. We don’t have Goya here… I have been neck deep in the throws of planning a local food conference here within slow food and have not posted for three weeks. Important work. Time well spent: BUT…I have not read, written, cooked and I miss my life and reading YOU!
    I am catching up slowly!
    Valerie

10. Ben says:

Goya is such a great brand in the US! That piquillo red rice looks great!

11. The rice sounds so good with piquillo peppers and Sazón, awesome color and flavors!

12. redkathy says:

Goya Sazon… nothing else can compare! Beautiful, colorful, and always delightful display Joan!

13. We have the GOYA brand here (although $5 for black beans seems a little high)…love as usual what you have produced with your experimental ways in the kitchen Joan. Oh! I think you’re kinda “saucy”…;-)

14. Adriana says:

The black bean soup was one of my college staples, when Mama food was not in reach. She actually used those herself, with minimal doctoring!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Goya products here in Argentina, but I enjoyed using them when I lived in the U.S. But what I’d really enjoy right now is a bite of this dish – it looks scrumptious!