Pasta + Potatoes!

March 13, 2011 by Joan Nova in Italian, Pasta, Product Recommendations, Recipe Development | 14 Comments

I wish I could say this high-carb dish was fuel for the marathon I was running the following day. I can’t.

However, you might find the path to its development interesting. And, if you follow that path, you’ll be rewarded with recipes from 2 blogs.

Let me give you the back-story.

When my friend Norma of Platanos Mangoes and Me! was visiting recently we went food-shopping. Who doesn’t when they are with their foodie friends? Norma spotted this variety of pasta (La Flora Marigold) and immediately purchased it to take back to NY…but, good friend that she is, she shared some with me before she left.

We planned to participate in our blogging friend Val’s event — “Invite a blogger to your table”. But, after reading the instructions (both bloggers prepare the same dish), we decided instead to shake it up and surprise each other with what we did with the same product.

The home cook (and perhaps the professional chef as well) get inspiration from a variety of sources — seasonal ingredients, product availability, other chefs, etc. Sometimes it’s as simple as SIZE.

I knew I didn’t want to bury the pasta so I paired it with equally sized ingredients — and that’s how I came up with potatoes, cute little mini ones that when sliced were the perfect size.

You might have noticed that while pasta is a constant on FOODalogue, 3 other ingredients (butter, potatoes, leeks) rarely appear on these pages.

Recipe: Pasta + Potatoes

Ingredients

• pasta
  • minced garlic
  • leeks cut in thin rounds
  • olive oil + butter
  • sliced potatoes
  • sliced button mushrooms
  • capful of Italian Dry Vermouth

Instructions

1. Saute garlic and leeks in olive oil + butter, add sliced potatoes, and sliced button mushrooms till tender.
  2. Add capful of Italian Dry Vermouth and let it cook out for a few minutes.
  3. Cook pasta separately, drain and toss into pan to thoroughly coat.

Finishing Touch: freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle of porcini salt (optional).

I’m going over to see what Norma did with those cute little Marigolds. Click HERE and join me!

As I always say Amiga, great minds almost always think alike.

I like everything about this post…

Funny I wanted to use a heirloom tomato and place the pasta as you did, then changed my mind and decided to go with the mushrooms.

Great cooking with you, Kid!

2. Great minds…well said. All I can say is I’m sorry I wasn’t there!

3. redkathy says:

Pasta AND potatoes got me going Joan, you know I love a good carb overload!

4. This pasta variety looks very neat, and I love the pairing with potatoes, very yummy for sure!

5. wow I love the pasta dish…very pretty and tasty!

It is easy to see how you both became inspired by these pasta shapes. Thank you so much for participating in the event Joan. I hope you had fun!

7. cinzia says:

is there anything better than share food with friends? next time I will come over to your pasta table too!
    potato and leek, great combo, but please, no porcini salt for me! :-)

8. Sandra says:

Is there anything better? I love this recipe! Amazing mouthwatering photos!!!

9. Joan,

What can I say….your recipes, inspirations and creations never let me down. I’m inspired!! I would have never thought of this combo…potatoes AND pasta!! I love your addition of leeks.

I love leeks & potatoes…and butter. The traditional potato leek soup is on my site..it’s one of our faves!!

At this particular minute…my youngest is whining for food (again), she’s 3….still has eggs on her plate that she didn’t eat so she can’t be that hungry, can she? Bombarded with questions…and I just stole away with my cuppa chia tea for few minutes of bloggy time. I have to say…I wish time were unlimited…that I had more of it to cook, create, THINK, write/blog. I find at times myself thinking…too bad none of this existed before I had children. When my time was ALOT more “my own.” I wouldn’t trade my life for anything :) but I do find myself a wee bit envious of younger food bloggers that have all of this for their pre-children days. Hope that makes sense!!

Can’t wait for #FBF #Orlando!!! We’ll finally get to meet :)

10. Nice mix of ingredients Joan..I would have never thought to combine pasta with potatoes. Love the pic of the potato wearing the pasta “hat”!

11. And I told Norma already, echoed by my 2nd daughter, the pasta looks stunning and golden – probably egg yolks. Want some, want some, want some. I love the russets too.

I need some of that pasta! This dish has a lot of carbs (really, I’m not complaining), but I think I’d make the sacrifice. ;)

13. So you decided NOT to do invite a blogger to your table? It could have been fun with seeing what you both did with the cute little pasta shapes. Why not leek often? YOu are right, I don’t see it often, here and I adore it.
    Valerie