Broccoli Rabe Pastry Buns + Honest Cooking

March 15, 2011 by Joan Nova in Appetizers, Baking, Vegetables | 14 Comments

A month or so ago, I was approached by Kalle Bergman to contribute to a new concept in online magazines, Honest Cooking.

From Kalle: It is not run by an established old-media-conglomerate, nor is it a recipe sharing website for traditional forum based foodie interaction. Instead, it is a serious and ambitious new online food magazine, with the goal to feature the absolute cream of the crop of food and wine bloggers and writers. (Blush.) I liked his ambition and I liked his style. A lot!

The magazine launched Monday. As promised, it has interesting articles that are very attractively presented. This is my first contribution.

This is a tasty and versatile dish. While I prefer broccoli rabe, you can substitute that for whatever vegetable you have on hand. These buns make a lovely brunch, lunch or side dish for supper. You can even make them smaller for pop-in-the-mouth hors d’oeuvres for your next party.

Ingredients
broccoli rabe
minced garlic
olive oil
red chili flakes
salt + pepper
grated parmesan
shredded mozzarella
chopped tomato
chopped hazelnuts
puffed pastry (frozen or home-made)
egg wash (with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of rosemary)

Recipe
• Steam broccoli rabe (in water or chicken broth) till soft.
• Drain and saute briefly with garlic and tomato.
• Season to taste with salt, pepper and/or red chili flakes and some freshly grated parmesan.
• Set aside.
• Cut defrosted puff pastry into panels and then in half to create a square or rectangle.
• Add scoop of vegetable filling and top with shredded mozzarella.
• Close up either in bun or  hot pocket shape, egg wash and bake in hot oven at 400F degrees (204.4C) till browned.

This works well with any vegetable, particularly leafy green ones.

Enjoy, I did!

1. Arlene says:

I have come to love broccoli rabe. I actually found a bag of frozen broccoli rabe which I bought to use on pizza. I might have to make some of these little bites instead. Kudos on your first contribution.

2. Congratulations on your new gig…well deserved I say! And these look fantastic Joan. Always on the look out for new ideas involving puff pastry.

I can attest to this as I had some while visiting Joan. It was frozen then reheated and it was delicioso….

Congratulations Joan!!!!!!Love the dish too!!!!!!Need to head off to my 9 – 5 job or in this case 8 – 4 so just a quick kudos!!!

5. Broccoli rabe is a favorite in our home. I never thought of this interpretation and I love it. Congratulations on honest cooking.

6. Congrats, I just looked the mag over yest. looks like it will be a great resource. I love broccoli rabe and pastry dough, so I’m sure I would enjoy this combination. Hope you have a great week.

7. Penny says:

Love the magazine. Congrats on being a part of this new venture. Well deserved kudos. I love all things puff pastry, so know that I will be trying these.

8. redkathy says:

Congrats my friend! Your fabulously constructed dishes and exquisite finishing touches will surely be an asset to the magazine. Best of luck to you.

Have a Happy St Patty’s!

9. bunkycooks says:

Congrats on the new writing opportunity. It sound like a great fit!

Congrats Joan, a nice piece of recognition and you’ve kicked things off with these buns.

Joan, you are the cream of the crop. I am so pleased that you were chosen to be part of such a lovely magazine. I will go back and look around more. A very nice layout! Good for you Joan! Your hard work, talent, and passion is taking you far and I have faith you will go even farther!

Congrats, Joan! Your first contribution looks stellar. I’ve never seen broccoli rabe in these parts, but I’ll try them with swiss chard or spinach instead.

13. Gorgeous recipe, write up and photos, Joan! I hope the pay was good!
    valerie

14. Sophie says:

I made this tasty & divine recipe & it was the best! My husband & friends all loved them so much! Thanks!! ;)
    Sophie recently posted..Roasted pumpkin, thyme & chorizo soup served with a home- made savoury pumpkin & feta bread!My Profile