An Asian-Inspired Salmon Dinner for the Home Cook

March 16, 2011 by Joan Nova in Asian, Fish/Seafood, Recipe Development, Rice/Risotto, Uncategorized | 16 Comments

I love cooking with Asian flavors. Coincidentally (or is it not?), whenever I do, it’s a healthy and colorful meal.

Many people are intimidated to attempt Asian cooking in their own kitchens but the truth is that it’s really simple. All you need are a few specialty items in your pantry. Soy sauce, mirin, miso, rice vinegar and sesame oil are good staples. Add srirachaca chili sauce, if you like a little heat.

It’s just that simple.

The menu here is marinated salmon steak, brown rice with edamame, and a grilled scallion, radish and cucumber salad.

[amd-recipeseo-recipe:1]

Finishing Touches: Drizzle grilled scallion, radish + fresh sliced cucumber with sesame oil and rice vinegar. Add a few chow mein noodles for crunch and fun.

Note: I use a wasabi-flavored sesame oil and chili-flake rice vinegar for extra flavor and a little heat.

[This recipe was featured in today’s issue of Honest Cooking, a really cool new online magazine.]

1. doggybloggy says:

what a beautiful meal and I am sure the flavors were as nice…

2. Very healthy Joan…love the wasabi flavoured sesame oil too!

3. Looks like a perfect meal – gorgeous colors! Great staples – a lot of people also assume “Asian food” is one cuisine – sriracha and mirin, for example, are from two entirely different cultures and styles of cooking.

This is a very colourful dish…lots to attract the eye. If this dish were a woman…I would be turning my neck to watch this blonde walk down the street.

5. Gorgeous photos Joan. Really spectacular. My pantry has those ingredients except the chili sauce. I better get cooking.

I am inspired to try more Asian cooking in my kitchen Joan.

Peter is just too funny…but I agree a beautifully executed dish.

8. That looks great and I congratulate you on getting this recipe published!!! Your blog really shows what happens around the world!

9. Amelia from z tasty life says:

Joan: i adore this way of making salmon. I sometimes use the milder white miso. Great sides too!

10. healthy and colourful – you are so right…this sums up your lovely cooking Joan.

11. Such lovely flavors and freshness with the edamame, mirin, sesame and wasabi is completely drool worthy Joan:) Love all your foods!

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

12. Congrats on the feature on Honest Cooking! This looks amazing. Your pix are wonderful too, so vibrant!

13. Simple, delicious, nutritious and absolutely gorgeous? YUM! I do prefer the fillet to the steaks – they seem less fatty. Is that my imagination?
    This is definitely a winner!
    Valerie

14. Eleanor Hoh says:

Joan, you have a knack for making Asian food simple, love this and salmon!