A Culinary Tour Around the World Ends in Nigeria: Final Round-Up, Farewell + Statistics

March 2, 2011 by Joan Nova in Blogging, Culinary Tour Around the World, Events | 16 Comments

Do you believe that with the close of this, our third Culinary Tour, we virtually visited 30 countries? And, we collectively presented 284 recipes along with fascinating stories (firsthand, factual and otherwise/fictional :)). There were lots of great photos too.

Importantly, bloggers and readers alike expanded their horizons and welcomed new cultures and traditions into their homes and blogs. And, we all made new friends.

To those of you who expressed sadness by this being the ‘final tour’, who knows? I said it was, but maybe not.

Unlike past tours, where bloggers drifted in and out depending on the location and their own schedules, 5 showed up in Panama and faithfully followed me to Alaska, Turkey, Japan, Thailand, Egypt and Nigeria. Thank you to ALL contributors and readers — and, for their constant companionship and wonderful and insightful posts, a special thanks to:

Norma of Platanos, Mangoes and Me! in New York City.
Val of More Than Burnt Toast in Vancouver.
Cinzia of Cindystar in Lake Garda, Italy.
Sally of My Custard Pie in Dubai.
Annette of Torwen Blog in the U.K.

The Final Round-Up: Nigeria

Cinzia of Cindystar in in Lake Garda, IT made these delicious looking little pastry pillows called chin chin. She also did a lot of research which she shares with readers.

Norma of Platanos, Mangos + Me in NY was delighted to learn that Nigerians used platanos and mangoes so she made a cake to celebrate. Check out the little mango palm tree.

Sally of My Custard Pie in Dubai brought a literary angle to this stop and made cassava chips.

Val of More Than Burnt Toast in Vancouver ended the tour with another thoughtful post and Chicken Suya and Cracked Wheat Salad.

Torwen Blog in the UK ended the tour with a lovely message and  3 dishes: bean patties with rice + peanut sauce and cauliflower with curry sauce.

Our friend, Oz from Kitchen Butterfly in The Netherlands is Nigerian-born. She rocked this stop, as I knew she would, with a tutorial, a pictorial and a first person accounting of pepper soup.

There will always be a link to our adventures here at FOODalogue under the ‘travel’ tab and through the search feature.

A BLOGGING NOTE

I wanted to end this post with a video of Ben E King singing Auf Wiedersehen and although my friends, Ben of What’s Cooking and Julie of Willow Bird Baking, tried to help me all day (and into the night) yesterday via my frantic Facebook messages, I could not make it happen. I feel like an idiot and I still want to do it but, meantime, click over to youtube if you like – it’s a good rendition.

1. Awf Wiedersehen Joan or as they say in this part of the world ma’salama. I’ll be keeping in touch through your blog and waving to you across the world on Twitter. I’ve really enjoyed this trip (and have met some fabulous friends along the way), travel broadens the mind and I’ve learnt a lot too. Thanks for being a fantastic tour leader.

2. cinzia says:

I can’t be sad anyway looking at those bright colors of Nigerian dishes, it’s like a festival!
    great work and support from all bloggers, a big thank you!
    joan,going to send you an e-mail about posting the video,hope it helps!

3. Oh, wow. Those chin chins and pepper soup look so fantastic…everything looks fantastic. Thank you for another wonderful adventure!

4. Kristina says:

I am very sorry for not being able to participate in this last stage. Thank you so much for letting me travel with you in Japan and Egypt. Thanks also to all other foodblogger for their tasty recipes. I hope that we will meet soon for the next trip. Good bye Kris

It was a pleasure to travel around the world with you Joan for these past 3 years and to venture into food tasting in real time as well. Auf Wiedersehen!!!

6. Great looking dishes, and an excellent roundup! I especially like those pastry pillows, yum!

7. Angela says:

I’m sorry I missed Nigeria’s trip..! Recipes and photos are great! I joined you all in this last 2011 Tour and I also made with you my first blogging experience…thanks to Joan and all other bloggers! I really enjoied both trips and travellers! Hope Joan will change her mind and manage another culinary tour! :-)
    See you soon in the blogosphere! Thanks

8. Standing ovation, Joan!
    What a tribute to you and your tenacity and fervour for passion and food. I loved every minute of the ride.
    (Never say never)
    XO
    Valerie

9. redkathy says:

Sometimes wordpress updates can be quite painful, I know :( I had a rough time with a few. Prior to 3.1 update, I found the “old embed code” worked well. Love the Ben E king share. Look at this way, it was just one click away right.

As for this awesome tour of fabulous food and photography, I can’t imagine it a FINAL for Foodalogue…

Boo hoo its over. I hope in the near future we can venture out again. I thank you for this opportunity and through this tour I got to meet such wonderful bloggers…See you Saturday,,,

11. Wow! What an amazing virtual journey Joan – 30 countries???? Fantastic and it was great to follow you through the continents :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Joan this has been an exciting adventure! You have single-handedly brought all these people together “under one roof” and I too have met some new friends along the way. There are some wonderful cuisines out there which really makes me want to travel even more to investigate them myself first hand. Thanks for the ride!
    Robin Sue

13. Mary says:

This has been a fascinating journey. I always hate to see holidays end. You and your faithful troupe have allowed the rest of us a peek at how the rest of the world eats. Thank you. I’m on my way to see the rest of today’s entries. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings…Mary

14. Bravo Joan and bravo to everyone. I really wanted to participate but just couldn’t at this time. You did outstanding job.

1. [...] I dived into the year by taking a virtual culinary tour around the world with the dynamic Joan from Foodalogue.  We visited Panama, Alaska, Turkey, Japan, Thailand, Egypt and [...]