Thai Green Curry with Beef (Gaeng Keow Wahn) • Culinary Tour Around the World

February 12, 2011 by Joan Nova in Asian, Culinary Tour Around the World, Thai, Travel Retrospectives | 22 Comments

Sawakeedah! You can count me among the fortunate who have visited Thailand.

In 2007, I took a whirlwind trip  to Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, with a side visit to Myanmar. It’s a long way to go and it’s not for the faint-hearted, especially when you start out with a 3-hour delayed departure in Fort Lauderdale. Then, a 5 hour flight to LA, a 15 or 17- hour flight to Hong Kong and I think a 2-hour flight to Bangkok. I’ve since blotted the actual timeline from my mind — so that I’d remain open to traveling in Asia again. Because it is sooo worth it! But, like my visits to Turkey, it was both a taste and tease. I long to go back.

Thailand was the travel adventure of a lifetime. Not only the journey there, but once I was at the destination…I rode in a longboat, a tuk tuk, a rickshaw, the back of a pick-up truck, hiked up the mountain to visit the hill dwellers, and I rode an elephant through mountainous uneven terrain! I took hundreds of photos and put a slideshow of some of the images on flickr to share with you if you’re interested.

Oh, and I took a cooking lesson.

[No clue why I look like a cardboard cut-out.]

At the cookery school, we made the traditional Tom Yum soup, vegetarian pad thai, and a green curry with chicken. When I returned from Thailand, I was so caught up in the experience and wanted to share it with everyone at home so I twice made this full-menu Thai-themed dinner.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the recipes from the cooking school, but I believe this green curry with eggplants (with beef vs. chicken) was one of them.

This dinner is spice-forward from the green curry paste and chilis, fragrant from the kaffir lime leaves and basil, and somewhat cooled off by the coconut milk and rice side.

Cooking for this stop on our tour brought my trip back to the forefront of my mind. I remembered flowers adorned everything, especially in Bangkok.

…even urinals. Don’t ask how I came to know (and photograph) that.

The adults are truly genteel and the children beautiful.

The history and culture is fascinating.

And the food is รสอร่อย (tasty).

Bloggers Round-Up: Wednesday, February 16
Next Stop: Egypt, on or about February 20.

Event details + Info

1. How fun to do a cooking class! That’s one of my favorite things to do. Haha – cutout! You look great! (That photo of the little boy is too adorable).

2. Mark says:

Great photos. The trip must have been amazing. Your food look great too. Thanks.

3. redkathy says:

How exciting to be afforded a trip to Bangkok. The slide show is lovely with some beautiful scenes. I can see why you would want to erase the time line!

Really enjoyed your slideshow Joan. We had a similar experience, and took cooking classes in Pattaya. Looking forward to the round-up.

5. did you make it to the beach? I have a cousin who spends several months a year in Thailand to study yoga and relax. Sounds like a grand trip to be done again!

You are lucky indeed Joan. Thailand is on my list of places to visit some day.I will see you there:D

7. Foodiewife says:

Thai food is something I hope to learn more about. How lucky it is that you took a cooking class!
    Beautiful photographs of a place I’ve never been– but hope to…someday.

8. Truly fortunate you are – I love Thailand, and have never been to Asia……..all the beautiful colours make me long for what I miss, especially as I love Asian food. Your green curry looks delicious

9. Great destination and great recipes! Thailand is a fave destination of mine (and it only takes 9 hours!) and Thai food is the best cuisine in South East Asia-in my opinion. Great captures Joan!

10. Rich says:

Wow, that looks like a great trip! And … well, I feel kind of strange saying this on a food site, but … the urinals look so clean! I love finding a clean bathroom when I really have to go. And I love the ‘cardboard cutout’ photo – it really does look like one. Crazy.

What a great post. You are right your picture looks like a cut-out.

12. Jonny says:

If only we were nimble enough these days to take part! Love Thai food, love Thailand, (used to love Thai stick…) Love the shot of you behind the burners – do I smell photoshop? Best of luck with this leg of the tour!

One of the first exotic dishes I tried in the 80′s was Paad Thai and I’ve loved Thai food ever since!

Great photos, delicious dish…this round-up should evoke hunger pangs.

14. Jessica says:

Oh i feel like I was there with you! Thanks for the pics and the food looks incredible! Hope your having a great day! Xo
    Jessica

15. Ben says:

I really want to take a trip to Asia, especially Thailand, it looks like such a magical place…
    And urinals… sorry but I have to ask… LOL

16. Wow…fantastic….the photos are amazing….felt as though I was by your side on this trip!

17. Your trip must have been amazing! The curry sounds fantastic and I love the presentation, gorgeous!

18. So wonderful that you have been there, Joan. My daughter lived there for three months (working on a University project with the U of Alberta at that time) and cannot say enough about the fantastic people and the country and its food.
    Valerie

19. I Sicilian says:

You are… among the blessed! Love Thai food and love the pic of the urinal on a food blog.

20. Angela says:

Great pics (fantastic the urinal….!) and delicius recipe! I was intrigued to prepare a green curry chicken, too. I think I’ll cook it on the next days!