Culinary Tour Around the World • Egypt • Blogger Round-Up

February 21, 2011 by Joan Nova in Culinary Tour Around the World, Events, Food Challenge | 20 Comments

After 7 weeks ‘on the road’, we will close this edition of the Culinary Tour Around the World next week when we spotlight Nigeria. But this week we honor Egypt.

Along with expressing good wishes to the people of Egypt as they move forward in their domestic restructuring, our bloggers prepared some of the country’s most popular dishes. It’s a strong representation and, interestingly, there are no duplicates. Bravo bloggers!

Kris of Tutto a Occhio in Trieste, Italy brought the appetizers for our celebration of Egyptian food. Here’s cream of eggplant, cream of chickpeas and unleavened bread.

Sally of My Custard Pie in Dubai published a powerful post about Egypt along with photos from her trip to Cairo. She also prepared a traditional kosheri.

Norma of Platanos Mangoes + Me! in NY dreams of cruising down the Nile, a la Cleopatra. She stopped long enough to make Shish Tawouk and an interesting rice/vermicelli side dish.

Nicole of Arrows Sent Forth in Columbus, Indiana has not been part of the tour but she made an interesting Egyptian Sweet Potato + Meat Pie and asked to be included. Why not?

Torwen of Torwen’s Blog in the UK has been to Cairo twice and she made a cauliflower soup scented with fennel and cumin for this stop.

Val of More Than Burnt Toast in Vancouver introduced us to the spice mix Dukkah with this chicken and warm carrot salad dish with shallot cream.

Robin Sue of Big Red Kitchen in VA joined on this leg of tour and brought along her friend, Maggie, who shares some of her experience living there on an overseas assignment. This boiled fried egg (Baid Mutajjan) is often sold on the streets.

Angela of Ackyart in Rome, IT made this Müdemmis Ful with fava beans, bulgur and fresh salad ingredients.

Michelle of On and Off My Plate in Denver made these great looking kofta kebobs and posted some beautiful photos of life in Egypt.

Cinzia of Cindystar in Lake Garda, IT made fava bean falafels and her own pita bread.

And if you missed FOODalogue’s lamb-chicken-chuck steak tagine, here it is:

See you in Nigeria next week.

1. EVERYTHING here looks fantastic!!! There are so many things here I am so going to try.

This was really a terrific post. So many joined in. Great dishes and pictures. See you in Nigeria!

3. Brii says:

can I have all AND Robin Sue’s Tajine???
    pleaseeeeeee??? :-DDDD
    I love that one!!

fantastic round up, Joan. Your fellow bloggers are incredible, lot of mouthwatering recipes here!!

baciusss
    brii

• Robin Sue says:

Thanks for the noticing the tajine! It is from Tunisia and I almost forgot about it for the photo. Now I must make Joan’s Tajine dinner in it! Minus having to go through the many market runs.

4. Great round-up and recipes I want to try for sure. I love sweet potatoes but never thought of pairing it with meat in a pie, hardboiled fried eggs (wow), cream of eggplant and chickpeas, a new spice mixture dukkah (I love experimenting with new spice mixtures) and all the other dishes. Hurry up weekend so I can spend time in the kitchen with new recipes.

Thanks so much for hosting the tour!

5. Damaris says:

Everything looks so good. I love that you did this. yay for Egypt on so many levels.

I need a vacation! Joan this was a wonderful trip, I will take my time reading each post and pretend I am there! Thanks for these tours- this one is really beautiful, great choice1

7. Kristina says:

Hi, fantastic round up, Great recipes! Thanks to all blogger and thank you Joan for hosting! Bye bye Kris

It all looks delicious, but I’m salivating over the falafel and homemade pita bread! Wow!

9. I can’t believe that none of us cooked the same. I was sure there would be more than one kosheri or ful. Here’s to the diversity of bloggers and the breadth of imagination and interpretation. See you in Nigeria – feeling a little sad that it’s our last country.

10. I wouldn’t normally share a link in a comment but I thought all the foodies involved in and visiting this round-up would like this brilliant post by an Egyptian food blogger Miss Anthropist (including her I love Egypt cookies).

11. cinzia says:

really a super recap!
    it’s quite incredible, so many bloggers living in so different places in the world, all cooking for the same proposal but still all different: that’s the magic of the web-tour and you got it, Joan!
    it’s a pity it has come to an end … can’t we add a new country?
    Robin Sue’s tajine is wonderful and made me try for the first time the one I received just a few days ago, I’m cooking lemon chicken, hope will be good!
    always keeping in our thoughts Egypt population, let’s fly down to Nigeria, see you there!

12. Joan, You should be very proud of these results. Look what you have inspired through this opportunity. What a window into the world of Egyptian cuisine and culture. Absolutely phenomenal. Thank you for this little trip from the side of my chair at home. Stunning!
    Valerie

13. A terrific roundup, many excellent dishes, glad to see the dukkah crusted chicken here too, that was a yummy one.

14. What a great round-up, I missed Egypt but thankfully I have a wealth of great recipes to get me up to speed. See you at home in Nigeria next week!

15. Bizzy says:

Fantastic recipes. I could make almost every one of them and be happy. This is a great event, you are running.

Great variety!

17. There is some validity but I will hold judgment until I look into it further

1. […] missed Joan’s Egypt stop last week on the Culinary tour but next week I’m gearing up to share one of my favourite […]