Caper Pesto (Pesti di Caperi)

December 3, 2010 by Joan Nova in Italian, Marrying Flavors, Pasta | 14 Comments

My friend Liz forwarded me an email she received with a selection of pesto recipes which are attributable to Southern Italy. They included garlic pesto, mint + parsley pesto and this very interesting caper pesto.

I don’t have a photo of the pesto alone as I wasn’t planning to do a post about it but after the pasta was tossed and I took the first bite, I knew I had to share it.

I served it over pasta (of course) with a pan roasted Lane Snapper (local catch) – and because I like a balanced meal, I threw in a handful of grape tomatoes and french cut beans and lots of torn basil.

Source: The Southern Italian Table by Arthur Schwartz

4 ounces (2/3 cup) salted capers, rinsed well
2 anchovy  fillets
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup loosely packed parsley
1 teaspoon  dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon white or red  wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Note: It also makes a good base for other dishes. I used a few spoonfuls to start a caponata.

1. I’m loving this Joan! These flavors are exactly me…must def try this!

2. Julia says:

I love this idea. The pesto is actually very similar to the braising liquid I use for artichokes.

This is one of those sauces that would be perfect for the winter months when we have capers and parsley but no basil.

Bold and flavorful and full of possibilities. Just like life! GREG

What a fab idea! I happen to have some capers and anchovies in the fridge that I need to use up… Thanks, Joan!

6. redkathy says:

Joan your pasta looks over the top delish. I’m going to try this pesto for Christmas Eve dinner, thanks for posting it!!

7. Caper pesto! I love it. This would be perfect on fish. So tangy. Great recipe.

8. Jim says:

Looks tasty. Seems like the perfect sauce for swordfish or one of chris’s shark fillets.
    Great photo with your new camera, too.

If it has anchovy is perfect for your friend Phil…a must make

10. This certainly sounds like a very unique and delicious pesto! I’m looking forward to trying it sometimes!

11. Interesting pesto! I am not sure my kids would go for this much capers, but I am tempted! and what a great idea to use it for a caponata!

12. What a great idea! Nothing beats capers and anchovies together :) Love it!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Joan Nova, sippitysup. sippitysup said: real flavor happening @FOODalogue! Caper Pesto (Pesti di Caperi) http://bit.ly/dTXPkO [...]

2. [...] and reserved bacon.Yield: 4 servings.You might also enjoy the recipes for these unusual pestos:Caper Pesto – FoodalogueCilantro-Parsley Pesto – Blue KitchenPesto alla Trapanese – Sugar PiesWalnut Pesto – Smitten [...]