Fried Anchovies (Acciughe Fritte)

October 29, 2010 by Joan Nova in Fish/Seafood, Quick Peeks | 19 Comments

Quick Peek. I was recently invited to my friend Gail’s house for a recipe testing. She volunteered to test 3 recipes from Cucina Povera, Tuscan Peasant Cooking (Fall 2011) by Pamela Sheldon Johns. She prepared Totani Ripieni (stuffed baby squid) and Polpo all’Elbana (octopus from Elba Island) before we arrived — and together we did this recipe which we all loved.The really surprising ingredient was the fresh sage leaf which was wrapped around the anchovies before double-dunking them in beaten egg with marjoram, salt + pepper and then into bread crumbs. They were fried and finished with capers and chopped black olives. [Use fresh unsalted or marinated anchovies.]

1. Ooo – love anchovies! These are so pretty.

I love fresh anchovies fried…the crunch, the flavour and the ease to cook’em all I need for reasoning.

3. Anchovies not my favorite, but you could probably convince me. Brave and beautiful.

I agree with Peter. I had these before and and I can’t remember where, but they are delicious.

5. Where was this? I have wanted to taste fresh anchovie for about 4 years now… everytime I am over near the adriatic sea – or the Mediterranean – they are not in season. What a thrill. I hear they are amazing!
    Valerie
    So, where did you get them?

• Joan says:

My friend bought them marinated by a local market; I don’t know their origin. They were larger than the usual salted and jarred/tinned variety.

Anchovies are so unfairly maligned. I am happy to see you using them in such a sophisticated way. GREG

7. Jean says:

I just saw Sippity Sup tweet this post and I had to drop by. Fried anchovies are already great as they are but I bet they’re even better wrapped in sage. I like finishing touch of capers and olives, too. Delish!

8. Yum! I love fried little fish and the idea of the sage around it makes it even better! (fried sage is wonderful!)

9. Love anchovies.. and sage! What a great Fall snack ;)

10. I’m a recent convert to fresh anchovies and I love the sage leaf technique! Great flavours!

11. I love sage! I’ve never had anchovies before like that, but if it’s fried, I might have to try it!

12. Love anchovies. I have never seen it prepared this way! Looks yummy!

13. I loveeee anchovies. I have to give this one a try… it’s tough to find fresh anchovies around these parts though.

14. Food GPS says:

The anchovies look really good, and I’d never think to pair them with sage.

Great meeting you at Foodbuzz Fest.

15. Bren says:

You know, it’s interesting…. i don’t care for anchovies at all but sage just about works in anything for me. you completely make it look so appetizing! Sweet!

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Joan Nova, sippitysup. sippitysup said: Something fishy at Joan's and I love it @FOODalogue Fried Anchovies (Acciughe Fritte) http://bit.ly/a15Uks […]