When Cantaloupe Marries Tomatoes

September 9, 2010 by Joan Nova in 1-2-3 Quick + Easy Vegetable Meals, Marrying Flavors, Salads, Small Meals with BIG FLAVORS | 19 Comments

I recently discovered a winning combination. It’s cantaloupe and tomatoes. They were perfect together with just a little dressing the first time I tried it. So good, in fact, that I had to do it again almost immediately.

This time I really celebrated the bounty of summer and added some other seasonal items and some salt via the olives and feta. It’s obviously simple and it’s very tasty. Try it before Summer turns to Autumn.

beefsteak tomatoes
cantaloupe
torn basil and flat leaf parsley
micro greens
oil-cured black olives
avocado
fresh shucked corn
slice of lite feta cheese
slivered red onion

Dressing of evoo, fresh lemon juice (or a dash of cider vinegar), a little salt, a lot of fresh black pepper. For a special treat, try Blood Orange or Meyer Lemon olive oil.

This is a winning combination. Beautifully executed and mouth watering.

2. Justin Marx says:

Looks bright and tasty … Good stuff.

3. Dorothy says:

Looks wonderful and refreshing.
    I’m putting it together as we speak.

4. Such a colourful addition to my future supper:D

5. What an interesting combination Joan. I’ll definitely give this a try. It’s gorgeous too.

I’m not familiar with micro greens. Are they sprouts and is that what’s on top? They really set the dish off beautifully.

6. Damaris says:

Woah what a cool combination. You’re so smart! I love tomatoes. When my mom was pregnant with my little sister she ate tomatoes with Peanut Butter.

7. Very elegant and a terrific combination for sure!

8. Lidia Lipstick says:

Joan, I made a similar salad last night and the Blood Orange Olive Oil makes the difference. It was absolutely delicious.

9. Yum! Great idea. I recently had a cantaloup tomato gazpacho soup which was incredible. Salad, would be even more fun!

10. giz says:

Who would have thought to put these two together although now that I think of it they are both fruits. I’ve had feta with watermelon and it’s fabulous so why not. I’ll have to get some ingredients at church this weekend – that would be the Church of the Holy Market Garden

11. Love the fresh summer combo here Joan! I would never have thought to pair these two but I think it looks beautiful!

12. What a great idea. I love cantaloupe, but it really is hard to get a lovely flavourful ripe one in the prairies. They grow in BC and can be found in delicious abundance there (our neighbouring province) but I imagine they are picked green and sent here. I have really almost stopped buying anything not grown locally as it just doesn’t taste good anymore. I had some outrageously delicious cantaloupe this summer in Paris and also in Bosnia. I haven’t had cantaloupe like that here, in years. It would be fantastic with a good tomato. Now that is another entire paragraph!
    Valerie

13. Brad says:

Yum, looks so refreshing. Thanks!

14. Tomatoes seem to go well with several fruits. Try tomatoes and oranges. I just did that and was blown away. The cantelope seems like a great idea too. You’re full of good ideas.

What an unexpected combination! I will give this a go.