Meatless Monday: Pasta w/ Zucchini, Tomatoes, Olives + Bocconcini

May 10, 2010 by Joan Nova in 1-2-3 Quick + Easy Vegetable Meals, Italian, Leftovers, Pasta, Vegetables | 12 Comments

I’ve seen reference to ‘meatless Mondays’ on the internet but never paid much attention to it. Lots of meals in the FOODalogue kitchen are meatless. It doesn’t matter the day. But, today is Monday and I went meatless…so why not?

This meal started with leftovers from our Mothers’ Day antipasto. We had bocconcini (tiny fresh mozzarella balls marinated with sun-dried tomatoes and basil) and kalamata olives, among other things. To that I added cubed fresh zucchini, garlic, fresh grape tomatoes and few other ingredients. It’s a simple dish, yet very illustrative of the pasta/veggie dishes I love.
You can clearly see that the ratio is weighted towards vegetables though in this particular dish, it is a little more cheese heavy than usual because I wanted to use up the bocconcini while fresh.

“Sauce”
cubed zucchini
minced garlic
olive oil
grape tomatoes
fresh bocconcini with sun-dried tomatoes and basil
splash of chicken broth (or pasta water)
whole grain thin spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)

Saute zucchini, garlic and fresh grape tomatoes in a little olive oil. Once tomatoes have blistered, squash them down with back of fork.  Add sun-dried tomatoes and basil. A little chicken broth or pasta water helps to keep it moist and create a little sauce.

Mix pasta with ‘sauce’, add bocconcini and toss.

Finishing Touch: Sprinkle of truffle salt (or sea salt), black pepper and freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.

Note: It doesn’t take long for the mozzarella to start to melt. By the time you get to the last few strands of the spaghetti, it’s stringing along with it. However, by that time, I was too busy enjoying it to take another photo! :)

1. Marie says:

I could eat this everyday! I have to get some of that truffle salt too!

2. Juliana says:

Wow,this pasta sounds and looks great, like the colors in it ;-)

3. I have seen the meatless Monday trend and I also eat meatless on most days so didn’t pay that much attention. Funnily enough I started a post this morning but realized that my dish, if served in a restaurant, often comes with some form of meat. Love your dish Joan!!

4. Julia says:

YUM! This is right up my alley .

5. Penny says:

That is a beautiful looking dish. Both the bowl and the food.

Hey! save some of that good cooking for my arrival. This is really a bountiful dish.

7. peter says:

I like these almost “no cook” pasta dishes for when it gets too hot. You’re in FLA…it’s always too hot!

8. Brad says:

Yum, what a great combination of flavors, I rarely go a day without eating meat but it sounds like a healthy idea to start.

I am sure I have said this to you before. But this is exactly what I call Default Pasta! It looks delicious (and healthy). It puts me in the mood to do a default pasta of my own just as soon as I finish my weeklong tribute to my mother’s recipes. GREG

10. cinzia says:

that’s the kind of dish i like most, starting from leftovers and ending with a new yummie mix!
    good start for a new week!

11. I hardly ever eat meat – love it, but it doesn’t digest well – and there is so much choice out there. Like this. Oh – this would be hard to eat! haha!
    What a bowl full of beautiful colours and flavours. YUMMMM!!
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Valerie