Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce

April 26, 2010 by Joan Nova in 1-2-3 Quick + Easy Vegetable Meals, Italian, Pasta, Vegetables | 21 Comments

This was so delicious and rich tasting…and I think relatively healthy. The richness came from my usual sprinkles, dashes, drops and squeezes and none of those included butter or cream. It was heavy on veggies, lighter on pasta.

Ingredients
Step 1.
1 butternut squash
1 cup grape tomatoes
2 cloves garlic

Drizzle ingredients with a little olive oil and s+p  and bake in 350 degree oven till tender.

Step 2.
1/2 butternut squash
s+p
nutmeg
lemon juice
chicken broth
parmesan

Blend half of squash and a few tomatoes to a puree with piece of parmesan, s+p, freshly grated nutmeg, a dash of chicken broth and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Step 3.
chanterelle mushrooms (rehydrated)
1/2 butternut squash
roasted tomatoes
bacon bits
fresh parsley
fresh lemon juice
Worcestershire Sauce

Dice and saute chanterelles in olive oil with a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. Add remainder of squash and tomatoes to chanterelles and a sprinkle of bacon bits. A squeeze of lemon juice finishes this step.

When pasta is cooked, drain and toss back into hot pot with pureed squash mixture from step 2 and toss thoroughly to coat.

Add sauteed vegetables.

Finish with freshly ground parmesan and a few sprigs parsley.

This is my kind of ‘comfort food’…it’s pasta, it’s creamy and there is definitely a whole lot of taste going on!

1. Katy says:

You always make me so hungry. Looks fabulous!

2. Love your sprinkles, dash, squeezes and drops! That’s how I “measure” too. Another wonderfully easy dish.

3. Maria says:

I love the butternut squash/pasta combo! The roasted veggies make all the difference.

I love trying new pasta sauces! The other day I made a roasted red pepper sauce with tri-color rotini, and now I feel inspired to make your fabulous butternut squash sauce. I think the flavors will be especially nice since it’s fall here. Thank you, Joan!

You know, I’d spread that on bread so I can imagine how good it is on pasta! GREG

6. bunkycooks says:

This looks healthy and delicious to me! We are trying to cut back on pasta, so I will add more squash.

7. Oh this sauce looks wonderful. I love butternut squash…with bacon sounds extra grand.

8. What a flavorful pasta sauce! Adore the butternut, this dish can be my comfort food also soon!!

Have a great week,

Gera

9. Bren says:

I like that you left the butternut squash in halves while cooking. Nice looking pasta, something I’m not a huge fan of!! :)

10. This looks great and love squash in ravioli and risotto. Pictures make you want to make them today.

11. I love the idea of heavy on vegetables and lighter on pasta! Sounds great!

You fixed my dilema of what veggie dish to cook for M today. I can always count on you amiga. Just made my shopping list and off I go.

13. Anne says:

Good recipe. I hope my daughters will enjoy this recipe. I have written a similar recipe recently. Thanks for sharing.

14. Brad says:

Great pasta recipe, sounds like a tasty combination of flavors

15. peter says:

Ummmm, squash loves nutmeg and sometimes even sage….give that a whirl with your next squash!

16. Erica says:

What a great vegetarian dish, Joan! I am printing this one for my husband.

17. Wow, that looks delicious and pretty easy too. I have been looking for more recipes based on vegetables.

1. [...] It won’t hurt ya. These squashes are wonderfully sweet and I’ve made everything from a “pasta” sauce (which I serve over meatballs) to green curry. It might go without saying, but they are amazing [...]