Culinary Tour 2010 • Argentina Round-Up

February 3, 2010 by Joan Nova in Culinary Tour Around the World, Events | 15 Comments

Don’t cry for us Argentina. We make your food in our kitchens too.

I knew Argentina was going to be a popular stop on this tour. Here’s some delicious dishes from food blogger kitchens around the world. They come from New York, Virginia, Missouri, British Columbia, London, Rome, Lake Garda and South Florida. You’ll be in for some good storytelling, great food and eye candy photos when you visit their blogs. Links provided. Come take a look…

Erica of My Colombian Recipes made an authentic matambre. It’s a stuffed and rolled flank steak that is so popular in Argentina.

Amy + Johnny of We Are Never Full in NY are big fans of Argentine food. They made a no-bake dulce de leche dessert called chocotorta.

Natasha of 5 Star Foodie in VA made a cazuela gaucho (chicken stew) which has its origins in the Jewish community that migrated from Russia in late 1800s.

Sari of Cooking Your Dream is from the Czech Republic but currently lives in London. She made panqueques de dulce de leche.

Val of More Than Burnt Toast in Canada wove another great tale and treats us to some home-made gnocchi in tomato sauce.

Jim of Our Family Food Fight in So FL made baked empanadas with savory shredded chicken filling.

Natalia of Gatti Fili e Farina in Rome brings us alfajores, the traditional Argentine ‘cookie’.

Arrollado con Dulce de Leche comes from from Robin of the Big Red Kitchen in VA.

Lara of The Lab in Missouri joined us for the first time. She posted a few photos that show the scenic beauty of Argentina and a recipe for alfajores cookies.

Oz of Kitchen Butterfly in London made 2 varieties of empanada and accompaniments: a red wine pastry with manchego cheese filling and home-made quince paste (membrillo) and whole wheat beef-filled with chimichurri sauce.

Cinzia of CindyStar in Lake Garda, IT made beautiful chocolate and white alfajores.And, in case you missed it, FOODalogue presented a full Argentine family dinner. Most readers seemed to like this colorful side dish of Burnt Carrots with Baked Goat Cheese on a parsley and arugula salad.

Next Stop. Brazil, February 8
Event Details

What a beautiful array of foods! GREG

What a fantastic collection of recipes! All of the dishes are wonderfully presented. Good thing it’s almost lunchtime here in Argentina because I’m dying for something to eat after looking at these photos!

3. cinzia says:

joan, this is a super gorgeous recap! really don’t know which one I love more!
    I can’t wait to see what’s going on next week on samba tunes!

What a gorgeous roundup. And here I thought it would be all empanadas and it was mostly dulce de leche. We sure do love our dulce! Everyone took such beautiful photos. Now to read each one…

5. Lori says:

Great roundup up! And yay! I was waiting for Brazil. I’ll be in on this one for sure.

6. good, diverse round up (and not a steak in sight!). THANKS AS ALWAYS FOR THIS EVENT, JOAN!

7. Excellent dishes from Argentina, looking forward to Brazil next!

8. redkathy says:

A superb round up as always Joan. I see lots of luscious desserts here and the empanadas are killer… I see me gaining a few pounds in Argentina!

9. Another great round up Joan…I’ll see where I can join you next on the tour!

10. Erica says:

That is a great group of recipes! I love the food from Argentina. See you in Brazil.

11. A fantastic menu Joan. So glad everyone stopped by to share their delicious dishes in Argentina…see you in Brazil.

12. peter says:

What I like about this round-up of Argentinian food is that the array of dishes by and large skipped over the stereotype of beef, steaks, beef and more steaks in Argentinian cuisine.

13. Love seeing the different dulce de leche recipes…..and I have a jar of microwave dulce de leche in the fridge!

Great round-up! I’m a big fan of alfajores!