Thanksgiving Burger + Trimmings

January 6, 2010 by Joan Nova in Low Calorie, Poultry, Side Dishes | 11 Comments

I love Thanksgiving. The flavor palette of this holiday meal has me salivating for days before — and digesting/working it off for days after. But what if you could have all of the flavors of Thanksgiving and none of the trappings? And by ‘trappings’, I mean calories.

Imagine you had a shopping list of turkey, pumpkin, sweet potato, apples, raisins…wouldn’t you start thinking “Thanksgiving”?

Thanksgiving Re-Visited

Broiled Stuffed-Turkey Burger + Sweet Potatoes
The burger was made with ground turkey, poultry seasoning, thyme, and pumpkin seasoning. The ‘stuffing’ is dry oatmeal + chopped portobello mushroom I put in the mixture. For a tasty topping, I shredded a small amount of sweet potato and onion and broiled them alongside the burger.

The Trimmings

Red cabbage braised in chicken broth with garlic, raisins, cinnamon, diced pumpkin, and diced apples. Dressed with a drizzle of agave nectar, parsley and black pepper.

So, there you have it…turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes — and pumpkin, apples + raisins (but not in pies). All of the flavors but none of calories from bread, fats, pastry, etc.

1. redkathy says:

Beautiful colors. Definitely a bountiful burger! Your burger photo really pops Joan.

2. d says:

Very clever Joan…love the broiled sweet potato and onion topping on the burger. All of it looks so healthy and flavoursome.

3. Arlene says:

Innovative–definitely–and surely delicious. What an inspired dish. I especially love the sweet potato garnish.

great job as usual

5. A great way to start the New Year Joan!!!

6. elly says:

This sounds so delicious, Joan! I love the sweet potato (which I’ve finally grown to like) and the mushrooms in the burger.

7. Hi Joan, thank you for visiting my blog (and appraisals and all…you make me blush :-))

Very interesting and cool space you have here, now I’ll go and check the others out!!!

ciao
    Alessandra

8. This is so fun, Joan! I adore Thanksgiving dinner – definitely my favorite meal of the year – this is a nice redux!

9. Erica says:

That burger looks beautiful, Joan!I love the idea of the portobello mushrooms in the burger …..delicious!

10. Ver nicely done! Love the sweet potatoes!

What a creative idea! We all love the combo of flavors already so you know it’s a hit. GREG